SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Wish I could remember what it was called.

gandle
17 years ago

When we had the shank end of a home cured smoked ham left, grandmother always boiled it for seemingly hours, filling the house with the most delicious aroma. She later put in quite a lot of dried apples which we dried from our own trees and simmered it again for perhaps an hour. I really don't remember the timing but then maybe 15 or 20 minutes before serving she made dumplings and they simmered in the apple, ham broth. They weren't the really light airy dumpling like she served with chicken but a little heavier ones and very flavorful. Seems to me it had a German name although neither grandparent was German by descent. It was incomparably delicious. Granddads request for his birthday dinner.

One of my favorite desserts was a cobbler made from dried apricots, served with cream that was so thick you just cut chunks of it and laid it on the dessert. Yes, they were home dried apricots. Farms back then were very self sufficient, they had to be. The goal was to raise enough to feed your family and have enoough to sell to buy the few extras you had to have.

Something else she used to make occasionly when we brought a huge hubbard squash from the root cellar was a dish that I never heard her call it by any name. Grandad would take the axe to the hubbard squash and we would have baked squash for a meal but then grandma would grate the raw flesh of a chunk of the squash and blend it with lots of eggs and good portion of our heavy cream and it would go in the old wood burning kitchen range oven, but it sat in a water bath. It wasn't very sweet and don't remember it being served for dessert but as a side dish. It was wonderful however. Don't recall it tasting anything like pumpkin but then 70+ years tends to blur ones memory.

This came up yesterday when Leone mentioned that their standard evening fare was mush and milk one night and potato soup the next with a bean soup once in a while. We essentially had about the same menu for the evening meal. The big meal was at noon but the breakfasts were enormous too. Everything was cooked in lard and bacon grease was the flavoring of choice for eggs and sometimes even a little on a piece of home made bread. Grandad made it to 96 so guess the cholesterol factor didn't make much difference if you worked hard enough

Really would like to know what the ham, dried apple, dumpling thing was called. Would like to try to duplicate it.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions