SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

disturbing news about spaghnum moss

serenasyh
14 years ago

Sorry everyone, I apologize about putting a damper on everything, but I indirectly found out a few things about spaghnum/peat moss through the rose organics growing forum that leaked into the organics forum debate. A rose forumer found writings of Dr. Chalker-Smith from the University of Washington, which discussed various horticultural practices; it just coincidentally happened that in her papers was discussed conservation concerns about peat moss.

I think it's fine to use peat moss for our beloved orchids if they need it but I would like to re-encourage people to go back to their bark medium if that option is equally viable.

This first article discusses some of the issues involved.

conservation and peat moss

"Environmentalists rightly note that even reclaiming the land into a wetland alters the ecology of an area, puts some species at risk and can never bring back the historic features of the bog. Not only is recolonization by the native flora and fauna probably not going to happen, the complex water tables in adjacent undrained areas are also put under threat.

Some wetlands scientists point out that a managed bog bears little resemblance to a natural one. Like tree farms, these peatlands tend toward monoculture, lacking the biodiversity of an un-harvested bog."

The issue about peat moss is being contested by Canada because a lot of its industry is based on peat moss farming.

They claim that they are doing restoration. But this is the reality. Again photos paint a thousand words. The peat farm photos ironically are from those who defend peat moss farming.

Here is a photo of a peat bog being processed and upturned. There are hints here of what it once was.

Here is the natural peat bog

Another beautiful peat bog

Here is what is going on in Canada (photos ironically are from pro-peat farms).

So if we can help it I think we should try to use bark medium as much as possible instead of the spaghnum moss.

Comments (9)