SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Why do some hardy roses tolerate extreme heat as well?

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

I ordered Kim Rupert's creation, Lauren, and noticed that it's hardy from zone 2a to 10b. That's from Artic region to Kim's hot and dry climate! I'm gathering info. to determine what's best for Lauren: full sun or partial shade.

I'm just the opposite of DaisyinCrete: my zone is 5a, Chicagoland, gloomy weather and brutal winter. I noticed that the most hardy roses also demand full sun, versus the wimpy ones that are NOT winter-hardy prefer some partial shade. This works well because I can put the wimpy ones next to the house, where it's partial shade and warmer for the winter.

Super-hardy roses to zone 5 that demand full-sun are: Comte de Chambord, Crimson Glory, Gertrude Jekyll and Jude the Obscure (I disagree with Austin catalog for putting these 2 in partial shade). It seems like the tough roses can survive both extreme heat and extreme cold.

There's one thing that extreme heat and extreme cold have in common: dryness. John Moody from zone 5b observed in HMF that roses don't survive winter not so much from the cold, but rather from being dried out with the wind and no rain. Golden Celebration has a reputation of not surviving the winter well. I put her in partial shade next to the house, keep her moist and she's still green to the tip, although it dipped down to below freezing with wind chill factor. What's best for Lauren? Full-sun or partial shade? My full sun spot is very exposed with strong wind.

Comments (4)