SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Heat Tolerant Roses ??? What's in Your Garden??

Because it is hot and the heat can present unique challenges, I decided to start a list of roses that have been tried and true in the heat. I garden in zone 9B, Las Vegas, 2nd only to Phoenix in terms of heat, and THE driest place in the country. Here are varieties I have grown than can take more than 6 hours of the desert sun. Unfortunately I deadheaded my last crop of blooms that began in late March early April last week, so I have no photos; America is the only plant that has blooms remaining but they are ready to be deadheaded too.

Climbing America
Don Juan
Joseph's Coat
Mardi Gras
Artistry
Gemini
Iceberg can even be neglected and survive a season
Crimson Bouquet
Just Joey

Austin's need afternoon shade: Golden Celebration, Glamis Castle, Abraham Darby, Sharifa Asma, Heritage

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 14:07

Comments (64)

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very pretty. I have contemplated getting a Buff Beauty for years and feared that the hybrid musks would not fair well here during the summer. I believe that I am going to cave in and try a Sally Holmes this winter. I have been so eager to try her too for years, and believe I have the perfect large space for her, that offers a good dose of morning sun, but protection from the afternoon searing heat. Anyone have luck with Sally Holmes?

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

I don't think it matters how much rain you get in your climate if you don't get any rain during the growing season. We get anywhere from 25 to 50 inches of rain during the winter months and early spring. There is no rain during the summer months and additional irrigation is required to keep the plants alive.

I live in the mountains of northern California and we get temps in the high 90s and low 100s for months at time, but because I live at a higher elevation, it does cool off at night so my plants have a chance to rehydrate.

I have found that the roses with thicker petal substance and dense foliage can stand up to the heat best in my garden. I often read the patents on HMF because that is where I can find the information about petal substance.

I have no shade in my garden, so I can't protect the blooms from the high temps. I do grow a few roses with thinner petal substance simply because they are so beautiful in the spring and fall. I ignore their crispy blooms during the summer months.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• Related Discussions

Heat-tolerant, tough purple rose... ID ideas?

Q

Comments (29)
    Well my goodness: I didn't know there were two 'Russelliana's. Looking at the photos on HMF I find myself wondering though whether they aren't confused in commerce, because the two varieties sure do look alike in many of their photos. I need to go and study the foliage on mine. I seem to be in the business, on this thread, of shooting down hypotheses. Here's another shot: the true Centifolias, all their various sports and forms, are prickly lanky plants and most definitely not thornless, as I know to my cost from working with them. By the way, in asking about the habit I had the parent plant in mind. I confess I haven't read this thread as carefully as I would need to to make thoroughly responsible contributions, but purplish old roses in my mental files fall into two main categories: the shrubs with some near or remote Gallica blood, generally shrubby; and the rambling purple Multifloras. In the first case smooth canes would lead me toward hybrid Gallicas and Hybrid Perpetuals, as others have suggested; the latter, well, I just said. I would read up on foliage. There may be any number of holes in this reasoning. P.S. I went to look at that purplish Centifolia through the link. I don't know it, and if it's a hybrid it could differ from the basic Centifolia style. I believe, though, that 'Pompon de Bourgogne' is a true Centifolia, that is, prickly.
    ...See More

Any Frangrant/Heat tolerant/Long-Lasting/Full Rose like Rock-N-Roll?

Q

Comments (5)
    Your criteria 2 is the hardest one. Most fragrant roses don't last more than one week in summer. If you drop this criterion you'll be able to enjoy some of the best smelling roses.
    ...See More

heat tolerant roses

Q

Comments (31)
    The rare cane breaks occurred with wind or heavy wet snow. I would have to stake all the tall canes to prevent this rare occurrence and I have too many roses to do this. I have just trimmed the broken spot and new canes have grown. Nothing has died as a result of a cane lost.
    ...See More

Heat and Drought Tolerant Roses

Q

Comments (34)
    Seeingreen - the old Tea roses do tend to nod (we do not call it "drooping"!), but the solution is easy - there is such a thing as a "rose bowl". It is an old style of vase for roses. Many of them are crystal, and I have seen ones made out of ceramic too. The are shaped like spheres, with the top cut off. They are perfect - you just fill the up with old tea rose flowers, which then nod over the edge. Then you put the vase somewhere just above eye level, so that you can see the lovely blooms from below. The same thing works in the garden - in warm climates most old teas will climb a bit, and you can then look up at the blooms also. All of my teas have pretty thick petals, and last in vases indoors just fine. China roses are another kind which are heat tolerant - I tend to leave mine on the bushes, so I do not have much experience with them in vases, except for Le Vesuve, which acts more like a tea rose. Hopefully someone else on here can let you know. Diane and catspa - thanks for the suggestions! I will have to check out those roses. My issue is not getting rose plants through a periodic drought. but getting them through the endless cut backs on watering gardens we are facing here locally, and all over CA. That is political, and does not always jibe with whether we get enough rain or not. Jackie
    ...See More
  • Jeannie Cochell
    10 years ago

Sally Holmes receives a lot of compliments in this area from exhibitors. I, too, have read that hybrid musks don't like our climate but I haven't passed that information on to Ballerina or Iceberg, which is said to have hybrid musk in its' heritage. Iceberg is akin to Knockout around Phoenix; it's in front of most public buildings and stays in bloom throughout most of the year. I have three of them; one burgundy, one climber and one on Fortuniana rootstock. We just planted a bed of both Burgundy and Iceberg at the Phoenix public garden as a statement piece since they'll require little maintenance from our volunteers.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It isn't that Iceberg and Sally Holmes "have hybrid musk" in their ancestry. Hybrid Musks are literally hybrid multifloras. The original, reported cross was multiflora X Reve d'Or which led to Aglaia. Aglaia is a multiflora hybrid. Reve d'Or is a seedling of Mme. Schultz, which is suspected to be a noisette or tea noisette. We know definitely Aglaia has a bunch of multiflora in it. The "musk" element is suspected and entered the theory before the multiflora did. Even if the "hybrid musk" resulted from Trier, it is Aglaia based as Trier came from Aglaia. Ballerina is pretty much straight forward multiflora.

Sally Holmes was bred from Ivory Fashion (floribunda) X Ballerina. Sally is not far removed from multiflora and has no real "musk" in her at all. Iceberg was Robin Hood X HT (Virgo). Robin Hood is nearly straight multiflora. So, we call them "musks" but most of them have no "musk" at all, while all have at least a fair dose of multiflora. Kim

• Chaoticdreams
    10 years ago

Secret (pic) so far has been amazing as well as Livin' Easy and my mini Chasin Rainbows. Of course, here in NW Fl, we have a humid heat that's not the same as out west. That being said, temps have been in the upper 80s with a heat index of 100 and above. All my roses have handled it surprisingly well! Even on the days it got up into the 90's. .

The humidity takes my breath away in the summer when transitioning from A/C to outside, but so far black spot has been manageable. I spray every week or two though.

• Jeannie Cochell
    10 years ago

Kim, thanks for the clarification on musk and multiflora. We're also told that multiflora doesn't do well in our climate and having ordered some multiflora rooted roses several years ago, I can attest that every one of them has since died. The Ballerina was inherited about 15 years ago and is own-root. Had to have a cage built for it to keep it from overtaking the rest of that bed and keep it up off the ground. I don't prune it much 'til the new spring growth comes out and then only take out the dead stuff that I can reach. The nuisance rose in my garden is Belle Amore. It was grown from a cutting and is well over 6ft tall and grows wherever it doggone well pleases. Could be in the neighbors yard by now, too.

• rross
    10 years ago

I planted Ebb Tide the night before the most hideously hot day of the summer. It survived 45 degrees Celsius (113 degrees F). It's now the only rose blooming in my garden in the middle of winter.

• Natasha (Chandler AZ 9b) W
    7 years ago

I know this thread is old. But it was helpful for me! are there any changes, Desertgarden on the list? I'm a novice in Phoenix gardening. Trying to choose smart now since many roses died on me as well as remaining are barely there... thank you for this thread!

Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Changes, Oh Yes!! We built and moved into a new home last Spring and my preferences began to skew toward the antiques the same year of the O.P.. There are only 3 roses suggested then that I grow now, but I would still recommend them all for the right garden/setting. I refer to Cl. America as "screaming America". My husband selected it. I find the color difficult to work with. I actually have two and both have blooms (smaller), right now. I will always have an iceberg either in bush or climbing form. Of my 170- 200 roses, 3 are yellow ( Golden Celebration, South Africa and Lady Hillingdon).

Listed below are a few modern roses that I have grown, and found to perform well in my hot dry climate. ( The majority were grafted on Dr. Huey.. planted ideally in January.. although a handful were 1 gallon own root planted .. at the latest, by February). The time of planting is so important. For me Late December - Valentine's Day for bare root and October, excluding January, - February for own root plants.

Reds: Veteran's Honor, Crimson Bouquet Mr. Lincoln, Chrysler Imperial, Oklahoma, Europeana, Black Magic, Taboo, Firefighter

White: Iceberg, Bolero, Pure Perfume, Pope John Paul II, Honor, Snowbird

Pink: Perfume Delight , Marijke Koopman, Tiffany, Bewitched, Pink Peace (drawing a blank)

Mauve/Lavender: Angel Face, Sterling Silver, Neptune, Paradise, Heirloom

Orange/ Orange Blend: Folklore, Outrageous, Easy Does It, Voodoo

Others: Double Delight, Princess de Monaco, Love, Gemini, Altissimo, Don Juan, Cl. America, Brandy, Just Joey, Easy Going, First Prize, Artistry, Color Magic, South Africa, All American Beauty, Mardi Gras, Peace, Scentimental, Twilight Zone

7 years ago

170-200 roses??? wow! :) Congratulations on the new house! And yes, it is impressive list! thank you so much!... what OGR do you like that perform good in our heat? I think this fall I will try SDlM for sure... I love some more of them but they are getting huge when matured, and I'm limited in my space... Some like Mrs. BR Cant, Le Vesuve... That's what I figured that the planting time is the one of the most important factors... So now I will buy some in September, October... Do you have any of your beauties out in the full sun all day? I have one spot like that...

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Natasha (Chandler AZ 9b) W
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Blush Noisette is in full sun, all day, and it is out performing everything in my yard. Hermosa can take the heat too.

Moroseaz, I believe, gardens in Phoenix like you. Jaspermplant(s), is another Phoenix gardener. There could still be images of mature roses growing in her garden as well as great information. I ran a search of her posts to glean very useful information that has been combined with that from other sources.

Thank you, and your welcome:) 170-200 roses... the pee wee leagues compared to other gardeners on the rose forum.

Happy Gardening!!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Very interesting to see this thread back, Lynn. Not a whole lot has changed on my list of roses for the heat: Julia Child, Ascot (have you tried this rose, Lynn? what a winner in the heat it is), Ballerina (I always forget this one), Love Song (new on the list), and I guess, Angel Face, though it blooms so sporadically that it's hard to evaluate. The best Austins are: Evelyn, and new to the list, Munstead Wood. Sisters Fairy Tale has left the list and my garden for its many negative issues. Augusta Luise is pretty good, and the one coming up, a real winner for me, and never spoken about, is Boscobel, an excellent all around rose. The new Olivia Rose Austin is going to be a dog in dry heat, I fear. Emphasis is on dry because those thin petal can't take it. Lynn, it was interesting to see that you grow, and have had good luck with, Heirloom. That one is gone from my garden--it was awful for heat tolerance. Diane

Original Author
    7 years ago

Heirloom was perfectly fine with morning sun only. I grew 5 in a row about 10 years ago.. and for 5 years. I have heard many complain about its heat tolerance. I guess I found the right micro-climate for it. Paradise was a dog for me. It never bloomed. I grew the very pretty Ballerina in a large barrel at my previous home to control the soil, as I had read that it had issues with alkaline soil. I will be ordering Ascot this year, thank you very much Diane:), and it is going in full sun. I have always been hesitant to grow any thing on multi-flora root stock, and that is how it will arrive. I fought the temptation, but one of the last images you posted....fingers crossed!

Love Song and Angel Face are very heat tolerant here. For some reason, I use to think that AF was not, but both are. My Olivia Austin Rose plant is holding up well in the heat, although, the blooms, for all intents and purposes, have been white... since late May. I hope it grows out of that. I purchased my first Munstead Wood 2-3 years ago... grafted, and purchased two additional plants last year. MW is sooooo beautiful. I ordered Boscobel two years ago, received an imposter, and even brought it with me when we moved:( I really hate not having the correct rose. I too believe that thick petals makes a difference in the heat. I have also seen that darker, thicker leaves tend to hold up better in the heat. I am not aware of any science that supports my belief regarding this, but it is what I have observed. Btw, that list is from a garden started 15 years ago. I am three gardens removed from that one, although it still exists... well at least some of it. I gave a Julia Child to my SIL. It is thriving in Co. So. Calif./ Ventura County. I have never tried it, Diane. Me and yellow.... I own 3 yellow roses....

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    7 years ago

Lynn, I agree with you about the thick leaves and the heat, which is why I think Iceberg does so well. If you know of any roses with Iceberg-like leaves, please let me know. For a red, have you ever tried Ingrid Bergman? It does better than Firefighter did for me in hot, dry conditions.

• Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

Yes, I garden in Phoenix - have for over 30 years. Just gets hotter and drier with each passing year. There are roses that 'tolerate' heat and others that really, really try. Not one likes 110F for 7-10 straight days.

This is my fourth rose garden in this area and have grown hundreds of roses at various times. What works best is summer shade in the afternoon, plenty of deep water, plenty of deep mulch and plenty of blind-eye. Intense heat just makes for ugly roses - no blooms, sunburnt canes and falling leaves. Just don't look at 'em, lol. When it cools down, I'll remove the dead and head straight for the nursery to see what I gotta have! Another thing that really helps is to stop by a public rose garden and see what looks decent. These gardens get volunteer labor and water. Maybe some shade.

7 years ago

I noticed that I started developing that blind-eye, Moroseaz! lol.... I started visiting them only when watering them :) seems like even those which were ok at the beginning is now giving up to this unstoppable heat... and it looks like non of them will make through this summer... oh well, lesson learned... now I will try fall planting instead of May... Right now best looking in my garden are Julia Child and Zaide... I was thinking to visit Mesa Rose Garden again... that garden truly shows things as they are... and not as I picture them :) I remember they had some climbers there... and that's my plan for this fall... to plant couple of climbers... Thank you so much, guys! for your time, support and piece of advise! You make me keep going :)

Original Author
    7 years ago

I have not grown Ingrid Bergman, Jasminerose4u. I believe I purchased Chrysler Imperial instead of Ingrid Bergman. My Firefighter is planted in a southern exposure, but it receives shading during the hottest part of the day. I have been growing FF for about a year now, and have no complaints thus far. In these hot climates, it is location, location, location, also strategically placed trees with non-invasive roots, especially those with airy limbs and leaves that filter the hot sun.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Natasha, do you have a drip system? I hope you're not trying to hand water the roses in your heat. Good luck, and may your roses survive summer. Diane

• sabalmatt_tejas
    7 years ago

Marie Pavie and a number of the noisettes and tea/noisettes have performed admirably in N & Central Tx for me.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I too have been very happy with Marie Pavie. Based upon my experience and fact gathering, there seems to be 3 Noisettes or Tea/ Noisettes that perform adequately in the hot and dry ( Blush Noisette, Alister Stella Gray, Caroline Marniesse, and maybe Crepescule). My suspicion is that the Noisette in them could require some humidity with the heat. Anyone in the hot and dry having success with this class? If so, with which roses?

i hope what I wrote has some coherence. ( mini iPad and awake, when I should be sleeping)

• boncrow66
    7 years ago

Caldwell pink has been a stellar performer for me in the heat. It hasn't skipped a beat and has bloomed all summer with little water and its foliage is healthy and goes all the way from the ground up. It never looks like it's sulking, in fact it looks fresh and pretty all the time. I love the small pink blooms.

Marie Pavie and Perle d'Or are also doing great in the heat along with Quiteness.

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    7 years ago

My most heat tolerant rose, hands down, is Quietness, the Buck rose. It is also my most floriferous, most disease resistant, very fragrant ( not the most fragrant), and my most winter hardy, zone 5/6, actually rock solid winter hardy rose. It is tip hardy which is remarkable since at the end of the growing season it gets to 6+ feet tall. Quietness blooms also do not fry in the heat of the day as so many roses do, even much beloved ones.

Although Quietness is listed as a shrub rose which would mean minimal pruning, mostly dead heading, I manage it as if it is a hybrid tea. It is pruned in spring to 6 vigorous canes (mature bush), at about 12-16" length, as one would manage a HT. It's first flush can have 30 + blooms per shoot, 2, sometimes 3 per cane. The show of a matured bush is spectacular. Dead headed back to a 5 leaflet, subsequent laterals during the rest of the season end in single to 4-5 buds. You could say Quietness is a grandiflora by its growth habits.

You know, sometimes I think I should turn my rose garden into all Quietnesses. It would certainly make growing roses much easier, but perhaps less interesting.

If you are having trouble finding Quietness try: Chamblee's, Roses Unlimited, or Heirloom.

7 years ago

You guys are awesome! My wish list is growing... I fall in love with this and that rose... then I realize that they might be too big for my yard and space... But I still keep thinking if there is a way to squeeze them in :) I think about roses non-stop... I need a doctor :)

And yes, Nanadoll, I hand water my roses... It takes a while I can say :) Well, I just started my garden... they are scattered across my yard... 12 total (no, now 10 / sigh)... I'm trying to set the soaking hose for the group of 6 at least... I don't want to bury this hose under the mulch so I could control that it's working, having my eye on the amount of water they get (furthest gets less) We have dripping system, but it goes to desert plants... won't be enough for roses for sure... too hot to be outside to find out if we have another line available for another schedule... well, as we know how to do that LOL... we are new in this house, a little bit longer than a year...

• barbarag_happy
    7 years ago

July is our hottest month in coastal SE Virginia, with temps near 90 and humidity 60 percent--which translates to frequent 100 plus heat indexes.

Blush Noisette and Alister Stella Gray are both getting ready for another flush. Belinda's Dream, Easter Basket and Peach Drift are stars among the modern roses. Tamora does much better during the heat than Jude the Obscure and Golden Celebration; the latter two are stingy and producing mini-blooms. Cornelia is doing the best of the hybrid musks, no doubt thanks to my faithful dead-heading!

Le Vesuve, Maries Daly and Pavie, Mutabilis and Mystic Beauty are standouts amongst my OGRs. Ducher, Cramoisi Superieur, Louis Philippe, Natchitoches Noisette, and Pink Pet (aka Caldwell Pink) are snoozing.

I'm planning to add more heat lovers next year. Seems like our hot season keeps getting longer and longer!

• Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

It's not just heat here - it's direct and reflected sunlight plus drying winds and low humidity. Roses that do well in high humidity and high heat with less direct sunlight aren't going to like our climate - NOBODY likes our summer climate as evidenced by the number of Zonies and snowbirds, lol. Caldwell Pink was one of the worst roses I ever tried to grow even though a friend 3 miles north of me had a beautiful specimen. Same with Golden Celebration. I pruned several in private gardens but it hated my garden. I later consoled myself that it was because I gave them room to grow to mature size instead of putting them near a walkway, the mailbox, a door, etc.. Ingrid Bergman is a fantastic rose for this area, btw.

Natasha, a soaker hose will take a lot longer to deliver water to the roses so plan to turn it on and leave it on for awhile. I hook one up to the hose bid on a splitter so it runs whenever I'm using the hose. It also absorbed the high water pressure so I could adjust the water on the hand-held sprayer instead of blowing out another hose.

• boncrow66
    7 years ago

Opuntiamc, you described Quiteness to perfection. I have two of this rose and she fast became my favorite. She is about to have another flush so I will try to take some pics of her blooms and how good they hold up in the heat.

7 years ago

Moroseaz, glad to see another vote for Ingrid Bergman.

• seil zone 6b MI
    7 years ago

Take heart all you desert rosers. You'll all have beautiful blooms in the winter when mine are covered in snow!

Original Author
    7 years ago

Natasha:

If you ever travel during the Summer, and won't have a house sitter, you might want to get everything on drip lines, with an automatic watering timer and battery back up. About 14 years ago, when nothing in my garden at the time was well established, we travelled to San Diego for 3 days during July. There was a power outage, and when the clock came back on it went to a 5 minute watering default. The trees survived, but so much even beyond roses were lost in such that short amount of time. I also have everything automated with drip lines and emitter because I am not going out at 3 - 5 a.m. to water plants....not happening....lol

Original Author
    7 years ago

Quietness has been in my yard ( a pot), sulking for two years. I mean it had done nothing. I was going to take it to CA and gift it to a relative later this year, versus giving it a spot in my garden. Three days ago, it produced its very first rose. It was small as to be expected, but so pretty. Doing that, during recent temperatures, it is a keeper. Another vote for Quietness.

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    7 years ago

Desertgarden-Las Vegas,

Quietness may not be adaptable to all climates. Buck's rose breeding program emphasized winter hardiness without protection in Iowa, where he lived. The growing conditions are about as extremely different as they can be comparing Las Vegas to Iowa. Yet still, Quietness may be one of the most climate adaptable roses out there. Ross gardening is an experimental hobby. That's the fun of it.

I would hate for you to judge Quietness by the performance of your specimen. It may be a defective one. If you would try another Quietness in a different garden spot, and then see how well it performs you may be more than pleasantly surprised, but ecstatic!

Another thing...I wonder how many roses I shovel pruned too hastily. Had I waited just one more year during its trial in my garden, it may have proven its garden worthiness. I wonder how many rose hybridizers cull roses that had they given just one more year in the test bed, the culled rose would today be a world famous named variety cherished by a multitude of rosarians.

I'll bet rose hybridizers frequently agonize over their decisions to cull or not.

• seil zone 6b MI
    7 years ago

Well I can tell one thing about Quietness, it wants to be BIG! I doubt any pot would be big enough to make it happy. In my cold climate where I have to cut it way back every spring from winter kill it gets to be at good 5 by 5 feet easily! If I have a mild winter and don't have to prune off so much it gets huge in no time! In Vegas I'm sure it wants to get even bigger. I would get it out of that pot and into the ground to really see what it can do.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree with you, Seil. It could be that Quietness needs to be planted, versus growing in a pot with that medium. This Fall it will be planted. I was encourage by its recent bloom.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    7 years ago

We get very hot in summer. We are currently having a week's worth of "hotness" where temps are between 107 and 110. It gets this way for weeks during the summer and stays hot from June through middle of October. This morning when I got up, it was still 82 degrees at 3:30 in the morning. It really doesn't cool off much here. Oh, yes, we still have water restrictions and I can only water two times a week in this heat. All of my roses are on their own root except Candice which I will attempt to grow on her own root this winter.

Best roses for me in the heat are probably the ones bred by Ralph Moore. Peppermint Parfait is still blooming even though it has been over 100 degrees for a few weeks and this week close to 110. This one is new for me and it is a little trooper.

Candice is also throwing out blooms. This looks like it is going to be a great rose for my area. Beautiful blooms.

Occhi di Fata is still blooming and I have a DA rose Mary Madeline that is budding. My Flamingo Dancer (Burlington rose) is also blooming even though the leaves are looking scorched (as they are on all of my roses and plants in general).

Another good one for me is Blue for You and Eyes for You. Midnight Blue is also producing buds as is Pretty Jessica and Princess Alexandra of Kent. Another DA rose that can take the heat is Munstead Wood.

I pretty much have restricted myself to heat loving roses. It is too hot here to grow anything else.

7 years ago

Peppermint Parfait looks beautiful. Mr. Moore was good with those stripes (I'm thinking of my Shadow Dancer). About what size are the blooms? I see from HMF that it is a miniature, but the blooms look large in the photos.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    7 years ago

Marie Pavie is by far my best performer in this year's heat. I mentioned in another thread that if I had to choose one rose, it would be Iceberg, but after this year, it would be Marie Pavie.

Since you asked about noisettes, Madame Alfred Carriere does not perform well in the local rose garden. Summer bloom is sparse to non-existent.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Geesh Mustb, Hot in October? We usually have 4 or so days in the low 90's with a heat index of 85 -87, but most of our days are in the 80's with a lower heat index. One of my favorite times of year in terms of temperature is October. Everyone is out doing everything in October temperatures, and the roses love it too.

My Munstead Wood that receives morning sun only stopped blooming here at the peak of summer. The ones in full sun have not, but, they are blooms that I turn a blind eye to ( not very attractive). I received Pretty Jessica bands earlier this year, half of them have "little pink" flowers right now. PAoK is really heat tolerant and has been blooming through the heat. Both of these roses are in full sun. Eyes for You is taking the heat well here too.

My Marie Pavie bushes are becoming old enough to make an assessment. I have been impressed with MP too, Noseometer. Another white rose that is bullet proof, but more ideal for front of the border or edging is the polyantha, Little White Pet/White Pet.

Little White Pet

I had a grafted (D.H.) MAC and Sombrueil many years ago. Back then, I really had not grown climbers, other than Altissimo, and Don Juan. I guess I thought the estimate for their size was a typo.... do not really know what I was thinking, but in less than two years, they both grew into something I was not equipped to handle... I was quite shocked too. Sombreuil was beautiful and poorly placed. I am growing Sombreuil now. All I remember about MAC is that it had long 15'+ thin canes but not a lot of flowers.

We are in a perpetual drought and water restrictions have been in force since I moved here 16 years ago. Front lawns became illegal for homes built when the law went into force about 13 years ago, and the restriction continues moving forward. With so many people living here now... about 2 million in the county, adaptations for the climate continues to drive or impact so much of what is done.

7 years ago

Yes, Peppermint Parfait is a mini but so far in the couple of months that I have had it, it has grown over three feet. I think it wants to be a small climber.

It was 110 degrees here today and going to 111 tomorrow. Air quality is very bad due to fires. I think we will finally get down to the low 100's by the end of the weekend.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    7 years ago

Can anyone comment on minis and heat tolerance? I have one mini, Constellation, that seems to be just fine in the heat and is quite fragrant. Too bad it is more yellow than white, and too bad it has that typical mini flower form.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    7 years ago

In addition to Marie pavie, the following have done very well in N & Central Tx heat and strong sun: Crepuscle (loves the heat & is everblooming), Natchitoches noisette, Champney's pink cluster, Manchester Gaurdian Angel, Mutabilis, William Allen Richardson, Sweet Nothings, Celine Forestier, Secret Garden Musk, Perle D'or, Lynnie, Mel's Heritage, Nastarana, Smith's Parish, Georgetown Tea, Mme Antoine Mari, Mrs Dudley Cross, Mrs BR Cant, Le vesuve, Cecile Brunner, Belinda's Dream, La Marne, Souvenir de Malmaison, Comtesse du Cayla, Pleasant Hill Cemetary and most of the Chinas.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Great list salbamatt!

Second vote for the following in the hot and "dry"' but not discounting the others, as I have no experience with them:

SGMC... Very heat tolerant

Georgetown Tea

Mme. Antoine Mari

Mrs. B.R. Cant

Le Vesuve

Belinda's Dream... Requires a little more water than most

SDLM

Natchotoches Noisette is going into the compost bin.

Would add:

Hermosa

Archduke Charles

Cramoisi Superiere

Maman Cochet

7 years ago

Desertgarden, it still is "hot" here in October with temps ranging from 90--100 or so. It doesn't start to cool off until towards the end of October. October is what I call our up and down season. Nice weather one day and then the next it is hot. Then bam, come November 1st, it cools off dramatically. Usually by the end of November is it cold (cold being a relative term for me). We can have nights below freezing by the end of November and daytime highs in the 50's. Oh, and of course, our lovely fog season starts then. Can't see your hand in front of your face. That is when we have our 100-200 car pile ups on the freeways as people drive like they can see in the fog--which they can't.

This year, we shall see how La Nina hits us. Last time we had a La Nina, we had snow for a couple of days with temps not above 28 degrees. Really bad on the citrus we grow here. Not looking forward to that again.

Went to bed last night about 9:15 and it was still 94 degrees outside. After a week of 109--113, we are supposed to cool off to the low 100's. I think it is only going to be 103 today and they may be right since at 5 am this morning it is only 76 degrees.

Roses are still pumping out blooms. Pretty Jessica, Blue for You, Eyes for You, Peppermint Parfait, Occhi di Fata, Candice, Wedding Cake (those blooms last forever on the bush) and Midnight Blue.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Interesting, Mustb. Does Interstate 5 run through your city?

Of the roses blooming for you, I only own Pretty Jessica and Eyes for you , and they are both blooming here too! I am shocked as my PJs are in full sun, and they were bands planted earlier this year. I have to look up the other roses you cited. As of this last heat wave, two performing the best in my garden overall are Bolero 2004 ( R.U.) and Blush Noisette.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Agree on Bolero, mine did better in full-sun than in partial shade.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked strawchicago z5
  • strawchicago z5
    last year
    last modified: last year

My French romanticas bloom well in this week heat of 97 F, but most Austin roses are done with their 1st flush. Below pics. taken this Sat. 6/18/22:

Below About Face is heat-tolerant & full-sun, nice fruity scent:

Below continuous-blooming Carding Mill loves heat, but turns pinkish (used to be orange in cool spring):

Princess charlene de Monaco loves the heat & full sun, exploded in cluster-blooming:

Dee-lish blooms well at 97 F, behind is fast-repeat Munstead Wood (2nd flush), also does well in hot weather:

Below Lavender Crush loves the heat at over 95 F, full sun. My 2nd Lavender Crush (in partial shade of 4 hrs. of sun) blooms just as well and last longer.

Sweet M. does well in hot weather, but it's in partial shade, only 4 hrs. of morning sun:

All pics. are taken after a week of high heat up to 97 F mid-June, it will be 98 F this coming Tuesday.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    last year

I realize that not everyone can grow teas, but my tea roses are never really happy till it's over 90 degrees. Even better, if it's high humidity. I sometimes wonder if tea roses have a "heat hours" requirement the way some fruit trees require "chill hours".

• strawchicago z5
    last year
    last modified: last year

Yesterday 6/21/22 it was 99 F here in my northern Chicago suburb. Some pics. taken after a day of high heat. Poseidon has shade from 12:30 noon so blooms still look good.

When Poseidon was in full-sun, blooms turned into intense dark blue color & still pretty. So it looked better in dry heat THAN with tons of rain and cool weather (petals turn ugly gray with too much rain). Below was in dry heat mid-August at above 90 F:

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    last year

I want to second Strawchicago on Lavender Crush. only in its second year, but growing tall. Fragrance is otherwordly, even here where most rose scents tend to disappear.

Sorry about lousy photo, but I wanted to show how it‘s gotten to the top of an 8’ wall in 2 years.