SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluesibe

Drought Planning

bluesibe
15 years ago

It appears as if we will be in a third year with low rain fall. January has produced almost no rain and is the dryest January on record for the Bay Area. I live in an area where our local utility has already imposed restrictions. And my gut instinct is if this dry weather continues the restrictions will be even more stringent.

So I have begun to think about how I will attack this problem. Last year Paula mulched heavily with wood chips and I know that Pamela uses straw. My first line of attack is to put heavy organic mulch down (horse manure or Tango mulch if I can get it). This morning while walking the dogs I had a brain storm. We have a new rabbit store that moved into the area. They use a great deal of straw for the rabbits. I think I will help them dispose of the straw and get some rabbit poop in the bargain. The second step will be to use soaker hoses in each bed. I'll soak each bed thoroughly and rotate the hoses. That way I can water once per week. The third step if necessary would be to create a grey water system from the washing machine and making sure that all my faucets are in good working order.

I've also begun to think about what Greg posted on the Vintage web site about pruning every other year. I think I will do half my roses one year and half the next year, starting with this year.

If you are doing anything differently because you need to save water, please share your ideas. I know this topic has been discussed before, but it never hurts to revisit it.

Because we have water, we tend to forget that it is a precious commodity.

Carol

Comments (25)