SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
morrisnoor

Sanguinea versus Mutabilis

morrisnoor
16 years ago

Hi guys,

I was reading the discussion between Jeri and Stefan, about 'Mutabilis': it is a China, or a Tea? In another thread some time ago, I was discussing here about the similarity of another "China" rose, 'Sanguinea', with Teas and Giganteas...

I know that it could be very hard to give the right answer, but since longtime I'm thinking about the "supposed" similarity to 'Sanguinea'-'Bengal Fire' and 'Mutabilis', and I'm convinced that if -to my eyes-'Mutabilis' is pure "China", 'Sanguinea' shows definitely, IMHO, a strong "Gigantea-Odorata-Tea" (call it as you prefer) influence.

It's clear that these Roses are very old hybrids of garden origin, and that hybrids from Rosa chinensis may have Rosa gigantea blood, and vice versa. But I think that they both shows very clearly their dominant blood, and the big difference between them. Can't understand how some author says that they are "identical, except in colour"!

The past week I was in the beautiful garden of "La Mortella", in the Isle of Ischia, near Naples. Here I've take some pictures of both these Roses, trying to compare them. I hope it will be helpful.It's much difficult for me here, trying to explain such a subtle things in english, but I hope you'll forgive mistakes and inaccuracy in my words: look at the pictures!

I start with 'Mutabilis'. Everyone knows the flowers.

The young flower shoots, with buds

{{gwi:221156}}

And an overall view, with buds, foliage and green hips

{{gwi:221157}}

Here's 'Sanguinea'

{{gwi:221158}}

and her buds:

{{gwi:221159}}

The first difference is evident: Mutabilis' buds are conical, compact, while in 'Sanguinea' they are slender, pointed, with long sepals. Look also at the foliage (above are the leaves of the flowering stems) :

{{gwi:221160}}
To the left, is 'Sanguinea': the floppy leaves are much bigger than 'Mutabilis', with the central segment longer and pointed in the typical Gigantea way. Margins are almost smooth. 'Mutabilis' has little leaves, and ovate segments, finely toothed margins. They look very similar to those of Rosa chinensis var. spontanea, which grows in my garden too, or to those of 'Old Blush', or 'Slater's Crimson China'...

A real, big difference can be seen looking at hips... 'Sanguinea' is above right. I've never see a China with those big crabapple-like fruits (it's a typical Gigantea feature).

{{gwi:221161}}

All togheter...

{{gwi:221162}}That's why I still consider 'Mutabilis' a China, and not a Tea.

And why I think 'Sanguinea' is a Tea...

Lookin' forward for your comments and opinions ;o)

Maurizio

Comments (6)