16 years ago

Cramoisi Superieur

Comtesse du Cayla

Fortune's Five Colored Tea Scented Rose/Smith's Parish

Le Vésuve

Archduke Charles

Ducher

Old Blush

Are these roses "okay" in terms of blackspot when grown no spray? I've decided this year I'm pretty tolerant of disease, as long as it has a few flushes through the year and grows new leaves to replace the one's it dropped- then I'm happy.

I know Mutabilis and Arethusa are rather moderately low in terms of maintenance, and I need to consider buying both again since both of mine died, but it was my own fault in those cases and they both were rather healthy when I had them. I'm just trying to find some additional "warmer" colored candidates for our yard, which is why I mention the above.

I have lots of small remonant cuttings I got in the mail of newer modern roses, but I'd like to have some antique rebloomers as well since those might not make it through the winter or just not be resistant enough.

We have over two acres of land, I think I can put up enough Japanese beetle traps to keep them at bay, I certainly did good this year, the sassafras tree kept its leaves, though there were, I think, less beetles than usual. I think I'm going to buy some milky spore soon too.

I'm satisfied with Roseraie de l'Häy, it gave three nice flushes and I'm looking forward to next year's display. Leaves yellowed a bit, but no complaints, things around here get tired by September anyway.

Anyway, I digress;

1. Will any of the above rebound from leaf loss/ Japanese beetles?

2. Some of these chinas seem tender, how do they do in a marginal 6b-7a zone, too cold?

Are there anything better out there in terms of repeat, currently, on my "Possibility 2008 purchase" list I have:

Perle d'Or

Buff Beauty

Arethusa

Mutabilis

Marie Pavie

Rose de Rescht

Any other suggestions?

I feel like I'm asking a lot, but I haven't had a good rose conversation in a while and I feel like learning some new things today as I do my homework.

Thanks!

- Max

Comments (18)