SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Heads Up!

calliope
16 years ago

No, literally.

Fall is a good time to start looking at things above the ground. First off, we have had a comet visible to the naked eye hanging in the skies for over a week now and it's called 17P or Comet Holmes. I'd forgotten about it until my daughter stopped by earlier and showed me where to look for it. Totally cool. We even saw a meteor streaking by just as we looked up.

The leaves are rapidly falling from the trees and I was overwhelmed by the number of squirrel nests this year. We have always had an army of chipmunks, but not until our nut trees have started to mature have the squirrels called this side of the road "home". This should diminish the number of pancaked squirrel corpses I see on the road.........the outcome of squirrel visitations in years past. They've been tidying up the nut falls this year and we haven't even had to rake. LOL.

Also seen in a tree close by, a very Charley Brown sight. An half deflated helium balloon from a baby shower last spring.

Then I saw an immense shadow overhead and right in front of my eyes, a huge turkey buzzard swoops down to alight in a tree behind one of my greenhouses. Now, I've seen them on the ground, and seen them riding the thermals, and I've even had one swoop so low over me I could feel the breeze from the wing beat and I hit the ground supine, ducking, when I saw the shadow growing larger.........but I've never seen one of them come to light in a near-by tree. The wingspan on this one was at least five feet. There was audio to accompany the visual. As he/she came in one could hear the breaking of branches as it's body penetrated the canopy. I'm surprised it didn't foul itself up and crash, like a kite.

A small hoard of Cedar Waxwings are also hiding just behind sight near the pond. One can see the leaves moving and a flash of feathers, but they stay half hidden. I can hear their wheezy, breathy calls.

Last, but certainly not the least are the display of the leaves on the hillsides, especially when viewed across the river valley. It's my earliest memory of life and one dear to my heart. It's much more intense this year than I expected since hot dry summers sometimes give way to dismal brown autumns. But, the leaves are going very quickly from green..........to kaleidoscopes.......to down on the ground. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

We are gearing up our feeders for bird watching, even though the berries/seeds are still abundant. The winter birds are here early this year and in great quantities. A reminder there is still time to enroll in Project Feeder Watch, one very interesting way to take advantage of a winter's day, learn something and give something back to nature by feeding your statistics to a university who studies their populations and migrations.

Link below to a site about the comet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comet Holmes

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions