SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessie81_gw

not sure I can save it.

Jessie81
10 years ago

I got a beautiful phalaenopsis orchard after returning to work from maternity leave. It looked healthy but I should have known better. It was packed in a plastic cup stuffed with wood chips which was placed into another plastic container. I work from home all but one day a week which worked out perfect for watering schedule. I would water, let dry out for a week and then water again. I started to notice when I came in to the office that the medium was still moist so I skipped a week of watering and when I came back the next week I saw the same thing. I took the orchid out of the outside pot only to find out that the plant was sitting in a few inches of water. I never watered it that much so I asked around and found out that one of my coworkers had been watering the plant, and not just a little water but a bunch. I dumped all the water out and hoped the plant would dry out. I also added a post-it asking everyone please not to water the orchid. A few weeks went by and the plant looked a little better. I also noticed some growth on the spike which I thought were flowers but found out to be Keikis (2 of them). I bought an orchid pot and some black gold orchid mix thinking it would be a good idea to repot. When I took the orchid out of the clear plastic pot everything just fell off the bottom. What was left was an orchid with very few roots all which were rotten. Im pretty new to growing Orchids so I Googled what to do and saw quite a few posts about cutting all the dead roots off and letting sit for a few days before repotting and watering. So I did this and put cinnamon on the cuts. Its been almost a month since I did this but so far no new root growth. The plant is sprouting new leaves but the older existing leaves are getting shriveled. I attached a picture of the bottom of the plant. Not sure what to do now. I really like the plant and hoped I could actually get it to grow. Now Im not sure if its going to survive.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz