SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Always discard virused plants --- or not.

orchidnick
13 years ago

2 years ago I had my Lc Wrigley at our fall orchid show where a color break was noted on one of it's flowers. It tested positive for virus right then and there and I pulled it from the show. I almost discarded it there but it is such a nice stately plant that I brought it back home and parked it in the backyard of my daughter, under a tree.

It bloomed last year and again one, and only one of the flowers showed the color break.

It's in full and glorious bloom right now with 7 spikes, she has it hanging on her front porch where it makes a nice display. I inspected it closely and could find no physical evidence of virus. All the flowers are perfect, no color breaks and all the leaves are full sized and of normal shape and coloration. By any standard it's a large, beautiful plant.

No doubt it is still virused but I'm glad I did not discard it. My daughter is enjoying it and it does no harm to my collection. I have been spraying it with Bayer Advanced every 1/2 year and have never noticed aphids or scale on it. I'm not the only one in our society with a story like that. 2 senior members with large collections also discard ALL virused plants --- or not! If they really like an exceptional plant, they'll keep it, but separate it from the rest of the herd and treat it with systemic insecticide to keep aphids etc away. If the plant goes downhill or the flowers are flawed it will be discarded.

I only have this one but have seen a couple of others in these 2 guy's collection which are big and perfect and confirmed to be virused. I gave a neighbor down the street 2 virused Cymbidiums and have admired their blooms every spring on his porch. I also make it a point to treat them with systemic insecticide.

Bottom line is this: 2 + 2 = 4 unless it equals 5. Virused plants should be discarded but like any rule, there are exceptions. Please don't pipe in to state the obvious, no argument there but I want to know if anyone else has known virused plants which are doing well and continue to give joy to their owners.

Nick

Comments (12)