SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Color in the garden: white

melissa_thefarm
15 years ago

Henry Mitchell wrote somewhere that white, though he had read it being suggested as a conciliatory color, in his experience tended to inflame any existing chromatic conflict. This is my paraphrase, but I think I got the sense right; and as in so many other things, I agree with him. I suspect a lot of people think of white as a neutral color, one that's safe, that goes with everything (correct me if I'm wrong about this); but it isn't. First, of course, there are a lot of different whites, as anyone who's ever had to match house paints knows. Roses can be creamy white or parchment white, white blushed with rose or tinted with honey or amber or lemon in the center; white shadowed behind the petals. All this is further complicated by the different petal textures, silky or creamy or crepey; transparent or opaque; by different flower forms, and by the varying backgrounds offered by the leaves, canes, and different growth habits.

So I consider white a color like any other, and plan accordingly. The less white the white is, the more pleasantly it goes with other roses of impure colors: red turning purple, cool pinks, yellows blushed rose at the edges, pink turning lavender and soft violet, apricot sunset hues. Very bright and pure colors don't make good team players, in my view, and very white roses should be left by themselves as independent specimens, at least as far as pairing with other roses goes. This is a matter of personal taste, of course: I never have liked those gardens where brilliant reds stand beside equally bright yellows and whites, but they're the joy of some folks, and more power to them in their pleasure. My own garden puzzle is my Rosa foetida, the brightest yellow in the world, and with grass-green leaves to boot: I've never yet found anything that complemented that yellow.

Comments? Ideas?

Melissa

Comments (28)