SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcc371

NEW YEAR'S THEME SWAP

mcc371
7 years ago

It's that time of year for New Beginnings and a fresh start to a New Year!
So, let's share our love of seeds with one another by having a theme swap.

What is a theme garden? Well, it's any garden built around a particular theme. Probably the all-time classic one you have heard about is the herb garden, or the vegetable garden. You could build it around a color - moon garden (all white), love garden (all red). You can build it around plant requirements (smart gardeners do this, I'm not one of them, LOL) - shade garden, sun garden, woodland garden, etc. It can be any idea at all, really - be creative! Some people collect plants that have the names of their family members or they like plants that have animal names (like tiger lily.) When I participated last year, I would see the ideas others posted and kept thinking, "I want that one, too!" I currently have a couple, and have some new ideas for this year. It is going to be lots of FUN!!!!

Please sign up on this post up through January 9th, 2017.
List up to 5 theme gardens, and any particular seeds you might like for them. Also, update your "Seeds Wanted" file, even if it doesn't have anything to do with the swap - some of us look at those and add in any matches we might have! Then, watch others' posts and start gathering seeds.

You must designate seeds for a specific person, but please put them in a separate baggy with their name on a sticky note rather than indicating it on the packet. That way, if one person gets 20 moonflower packets sent in for them, I can redistribute some to other players if it matches their theme but didn't receive any. Seeds should be packaged in ready-to-trade individual packs;

You can add bonus packs that are ones that you are basically giving away (please include a sticky note with "Bonus" on them.) and that you don't expect something in return. These may be bulk seeds.

I will be looking for seeds to be sent to me no later than by January 23rd, so I can redistribute them, I plan to have the seeds in the mail back to you for an early February arrival date.
Please only send seeds that were harvested or purchased in 2015 or up to this year. Please let me know if you are willing to accept seeds from previous years before 2015.
You will need to send your seeds to me in a bubble mailer envelope. No boxes. Include a self-addressed label with your seeds. Keep the labels fairly small so I can try to re-use the bubble mailer you send when I return seeds to you or send a mailer that is sufficiently large. Inside the mailer include a listing of the seed pkts you have sent in and who they are for as sometimes labels fall off, a copy of your theme garden list and seed wishes, and your GW name.
Most importantly: Please include postage to equal the amount of postage or more it costs you to send your package.

Note to Newbies: if you have only few packs, still play! If you have NO seeds to trade, go buy 2 or 3 packs and still play! Many "vets" send in extras to swaps to be given away.

Some themes I have seen or heard of over the years and there is lots more:

Gemstones - (topaz, opal, quartz, diamond, emerald, ruby, etc.)

Classical Herb - (Italian Basil Pesto, Lavender, Mint, Rosemary)

Vegetable - (tomato, pepper, cucumber)

Numbers Garden (Four O'Clocks, Five Spot)

Foliage that is "Anything But Green" (Gray, brown, or purple foliage)

Witch's Garden, (Mandrake, Rowan, Aconitum vulparia, Wolfsbane)
Fairytale garden (fairy, pixie, dwarf, gnome, dragon, wizard, treasure, or miniature in the name)

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and that everyone's garden will be colorful and bright in the New Year!

Tammy (mcc371)

Comments (220)

• Serena Morgan
    7 years ago

Wooohoo great news thankyou so much for your hard work!

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

I have to wait till Monday, but I'm excited too! Thanks for taking the time to do this swap again, this year. It's always a great one!

• Related Discussions

mcc371

Q

Comments (30)
    I traded with Tammy (mcc371) as part of the April MNF Round Robin swap, and she sent me all kinds of fun stuff. I was thrilled to get several seeds from my wish list, as well as garden goodies (a mini flag, some butterflies, seed envelopes), and even a notebook and pen! She is a generous trader, and I would definitely recommend trading with her.
    ...See More

WANTED: New Year Theme Swap

Q

Comments (0)
    Hope everyone has a safe New Years Eve. If you are interested in joining our theme swap I am hosting one over in the round robin forum. You don't have to be creative some of the best themes are as simple as a color, name, or even a sport. Come over and join the fun! Tammy mcc371
    ...See More

Chinese New Years Swap 2017

Q

Comments (39)
    Beth, I am ALL for frugality and fun. How are your Diakon seeds, all intact? I want to try this; if large seeds will be delivered without getting broken via the cheapest way. I really want to SEE if any of you have Diakon seeds and send me seeds, wrapped, rolled in a couple times, in a half size paper towel to see if they arrive w/o getting cracked; Not in a brown bubble wrap which cost more postage. Any generous person to spend a stamp? I will send you an extra stamp the next time we trade, poss, next year. Or I can pay you in paypal if you have the account.
    ...See More

2018 New Year THEME Swap

Q

Comments (282)
    Sorry I didn't get on here right away. I just started a new job on Monday (in a garden center!!) and when I got home Monday evening my seeds were waiting for me. I got to agree with those that said this was the best theme swap yet! My envelope was bulging! I got so many nice seeds and can't wait to start planting them all. I've already planted a couple, lol. I was blown away by the selection of herbs, I believe I got one of just about every herb there is, to the point that while I originally just planned on tucking them in here and there, I've now decided to do a raised bed garden just for herbs! Thanks to everyone that sent seeds, and especially to Tammy for hosting. It was a great swap!
    ...See More
  • amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

Tammy, Thank you so much for hosting such a fun swap! Will post when package arrives.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Relieved you're well - we all get the busy thing (and how long seed takes to pack). Thank you again for all the work!

• jlhart76
    7 years ago

Mine shows as delivered! This is (supposed to be) my last swap for the season, so I can't wait to get home and find out what else I'm growing this year.

"Supposed to be" because I don't have room for more seeds at the moment, but if I come across another later on, I'll just have to make room. right?

• nottougly
    7 years ago

I received mine today. Thank you so much.

I have not looked at it yet but thank you to everyone.

Faye!

• browneyedsusan_gw
    7 years ago

Just received my package! Thanks to everyone and especially Tammy! Susan

• mcc371
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The last of the packs went out today. I know you are all excited but guess what?? I arrived back home only to find in my rush that my list isn't completed.. I went in the guest bedroom and there laid the prizes that i had gotten. So I will be mailing those and and if you have any left over postage it will be mailed to you. I must say I was impressed most of you calulated just right! Awesome!!

I enjoyed each of you being in my swap, Thanks to all who sent me seeds! I hope that you all have a truly blessed and beautiful Valentine's Day with your loved ones!

Erica

9500 1115 0683 7044 0362 41

Nikki

9500 1115 0683 7044 0362 58

Lexi

9500 1115 0683 7044 0362 65

Maggie

9500 1115 0683 7044 0362 72

Xiangirl

9500 1115 0683 7044 0362 89

Janet

9500 1115 0683 7044 0362 96

Jensyen

9500 1115 0683 7044 0362 02

Have a beautiful evening,

Tammy

• beth_b_kodiak
    7 years ago

seeds arrived and it feels like Christmas. Thanks to all the generous traders and to Tammy for all the time and work

• PaperFinch
    7 years ago

I got mine today!! Wow! Thank you to everyone who participated!

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

Woot! So super excited! Thanks again Tammy for all your work.

P.S. If I sent extra postage, keep it.

• pinkiris
    7 years ago

My package is here as well, thank you to everyone ... much appreciated.

• sandlapper_rose
    7 years ago

My package arrived today and it was so much fun looking to see what everyone sent. Thank you so much ... and Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!

Jeanne

• amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

My package arrived yesterday but we went out last night so I could not post but I love it! I hope to have the time afterwork today to sit down and enjoy looking thru the seeds and hopefully getting a few planted. Thank you All so much for the great seeds! Amy

• Diknownana
    7 years ago

Sorry I didn't post sooner, but I received my package yesterday. Thank you all so much for all the wonderful seeds! I'm going to have the best garden in the city :). Thank you all again and thank you Tammy for putting this all together again. It's a great swap!

Tammy - if there was postage left over from me, please keep it. If I didn't send enough, please let me know.

Thanks!

Di

• Serena Morgan
    7 years ago

THANKYOU EVERYONE FOR THE BEST VALENTINES PRESENT EVER! I spent all morning starting seeds my son was loving it when he came home he picked a bunch to start too!

• cghpnd
    7 years ago

Thank you so much Tammy for hosting this awesome swap again. Thank you everyone for sending in awesome seeds. I love them all :)

• SusieQsie_Fla
    7 years ago

I got my package of seeds!

I am amazed at how many packs you guys fixed up. I have had my seed trays all ready for sowing, but after planting up 4, I will have to do lots more.

Y'all deserve many "Thank you's" for your generosity.

And Tammy, you are the best! Thanks so much for making this the greatest gardening season ever!

Susie

• Lexi Murphy
    7 years ago

Hopefully it comes today, if not then tomorrow

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    7 years ago

Oh the anticipation is killing me! The estimated arrival date was today, but it looks like those little seedies are still en route. And NEVER pray for patience--or you'll be tested!! LOL Had to share this with you so we could all smile! Heidi

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Heidi - I'm in the same boat - mine shows "expected" today, but this morning was still showing in Texas and only now updated to show it's in state but nowhere close. Ah, the suspense!

• Nikki Lambeth
    7 years ago
    WOW!! I'm blown away by the seeds you all sent. I received my package today. Thank you all for your generosity. Tammy, thank you for all the time and effort you put into making such a fun and abundant swap. I so look forward to planting all of this and watching it grow.
  • jensyen ( z7 MD )
    7 years ago

Double WOW! I can't believe the great seeds I received. I can see a lot of thought and hard work went into picking & packing seeds. I am so excited about planting my gardens this year. I hope everyone here has great success. A big thank you to Tammy and everyone in this swap.

7 years ago

They came!!! The seeds came! I'm so happy! I'm so excited. Thank you to all who save your seeds and share them and for the Swap Host!! Yippee!! Heidi

7 years ago

And Praise the Lord it came Saturday! With no mail on Monday it would have been a l-o-n-g wait! Instead I am dividing up my seeds and having fun today.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Oh Heidi - drumming fingers - I have that l-o-n-g wait!!. My tracking showed it got to the switching office in CA - then just sat for 2 full days - then got sent out from the switching office. grhhh. I knew it was a holiday but completely forgot about no mail Monday ....

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

Maggie -- I'm in the same boat as you. Lol. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will make it here on Monday!

7 years ago

So sorry girls. I understand--I totally understand. Maybe you can design a whole new garden or eat ice cream!

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Dang - finally delivered to my POBox and it may not be safe for me to get off the hill and there until the waters go down a bit .. must hang on one more day ... ..grrrr Heidi, unfortunately I have been online catalog shopping. Like a kid in a candy shop, in winter I always think I'll be able to nurture and keep many many small perennials alive over our hot summers - then by August or Sept - it's who cares!?! and many of them feed the compost bin. Even though I know that, I just keep planting (winter is optimism and the time for the garden dreams!!).

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

Yay! Yay! Yay! I got my pack today. Thank you so much to everyone who sent seeds in. And a special thanks to Tammy for hosting. Fabulous, as always!

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

racetowin -- I got some seeds from you. I can't quite decipher the writing. It looks like "Lircinshower Rose." Very tiny seeds. If you happen to know what I'm referring to, I'd love to know!

I also received a pack from an unknown source labelled, as far as I can tell, "Pink Labranl..." Seeds are dark, flat, papery, and fairly large. If anyone knows what that is, please let me know. Thanks!

• Lexi Murphy
    7 years ago

Thanks to everyone who sent me seeds!!!! I wasn't expecting so many!!! Thanks for hosting!!!! Super excited for growing

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Wheee!!!! Happy dance! I was not pleased with the post office, but you folks rock - Fantastic packet!!! Special thank you and kudos to Tammy.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Hey Erica - do you know what color your yarrow is?? Thanks!

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

Maggie -- White. It's just standard Achillea millefolium.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

Thanks Erica - I have yellow (Moonshine) and a pinky-purple (Cerise Queen) so white is perfect!!

• Janet
    7 years ago

Thank you thank you thank you to everyone who sent seed for me! It was like Christmas and my birthday times 10 when I opened that box.

7 years ago

I made a homemade germinating table with Christmas lights to keep it warm and my first tomato seeds germinated. Rainbow Tomato, Brandywine Tomato and Siberian Tomato. So whoever sent me those---we're on our way! I'm dreaming of the veggie garden... Thank you all! Heidi

• mcc371
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok Hope everyone is received their seeds, please know I am checking sheets and returning postage or money for this swap. We had a great group this round. So just wanted to put an update as not sure who if any has contacted me other than pirkiris. If so I apoloize I am working on all this.

I received an email yesterday from another swap I was involved with thru my regular email saying they had sent me a private message thru houzz. Not sure what I have done- I contacted Houzz as I am not receiving any messages from swaps to my email and when I go to my private message it goes to a blank screen. They told me to check my settings, but I haven't changed anything in there. My Son and his family are coming this weekend so he said he would look at my computer.

• Nikki Lambeth
    7 years ago

I am seeing seeds sprouting in my makeshift garage greenhouse. Thank you all again! Because I am currently recovering from a brain injury, this indoor gardening has been quite theraputic. I appreciate the part you all have played in me being able to rest my brain as I play with plants.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

The first seeds from my swap have germinated! I'd put Jen's Green Envy Zinnia on heat thinking I might be able to get a few extras (keeping some) big enough to share at our Master Gardener fundraising sales. They popped right up.

The Blue bedder salvia Jen sent germinated in about half the time that the Blue Queen salvia seed I'd bought form Park's did - Thanks Jen!! Your's are my first swap seeds seeing germination (others are outside in the cold, in jugs - so will be a few weeks yet).

7 years ago

Nicki, keep up the good work! I like your greenhouse. Heidi

• pinkiris
    7 years ago

Just checking in here, Tammy not sure if you got my 3 emails since you mentioned you are not always getting your emails, I did get 1 email response back that you were going to get back with me, so posting here hoping you will see this. I sent you 7.00 for return postage containing 125 packets and your return postage to me was $2.85 with 86 packets back. Thus I am due some change. Very curious as to why some folks didnt add their names to their packets (Heidi, love love love your seed packets! you sent so many, they are even double stacked, LOL (the ones on the right with the super cute packaging) wow! thank you thank you =) Would have loved to know who seeds are from so if I have a question I know who to ask =) gosh, Maggie yours look great! OH Tammy just wanted to make sure you got the calendar I included for you? Hope you found it, the weather radio just went off with severe storms so must get off here.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    7 years ago

I wasn't sure if we were supposed to put our names on them or not, know now so I will in the future. Looks like a few of us have distinctive seed envys (mine below and I also recognize Heidi's). I have some seeds I don't know who they're from as well :-) If I get them growing come summer, I'll share photos that perhaps some folks will claim :-)

• beth_b_kodiak
    7 years ago

Yes, I too like knowing who sent the seeds. Helps if I have questions ot just want to say a special thanks.

Heidi always does a bang up job on sending and sharing seeds.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    7 years ago

Thanks Tammy! I received my prize seeds today. I will plant them indoors now so they can get a head start for this year's garden.

• pinkiris
    7 years ago

Tammy never heard back from you, hope you are ok ... but just wanted to let you know I rec'd my leftover postage monies from the swap back today. Thank you for sending that back.

7 years ago

As you can all tell I have a creative streak and I like to make those seed packets. I saved so many seeds last year and I wanted them to go to people who liked seeds. So if anyone feels like there were too many I'm sorry--share them, give them away, plant them in ditches, give to school children, hide in Easter eggs--whatever works for you.

I agree--it's nice to have a name with the seeds.

A few of my seeds are popping up in my wintersowing containers. It's so exciting! Heidi

• Nikki Lambeth
    7 years ago

I'm sorry that I never thought to put a name with my seeds. I agree it was nice knowing who the seeds were from as I planted mine. I sent seeds in small manilla envelopes with an affixed label. Nothing fancy -- but recovering from a brain injury, I really wasn't in a place to be able to do anything creative. Sorry about that though.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    7 years ago

Hi Nikki

Those little manilla envelopes are perfect for sending seeds! Much better than the tiny zip locks that I got at the flea market, which are so hard to open seeing how they're not even an inch!

I hope you are recovering nicely and having tons of fun with your seed-planting projects this spring.

Susie