SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncgardengirl_gw

NEW: Birthday Bash idea, should we start? Rules:

ncgardengirl
15 years ago

I was wondering who if any would be open to a new group devoted to our birthday month?

Who ever signs up would receive boxes from everyone in the group on their birthday or in that month...I would prefer it be the week of or shortly after the actual day of the birthday date. This would be for plants, unless, the birthday person doesn't want plants that month OR plants wouldn't be available for the person sending them, such as January and the ground is frozen, then the rule would be to send garden related items, such as knee pads, gloves, pruners, seeds, small pots, new four/six packs, bulbs, houseplants, or anything else that may be appropriate, or on the Birthday persons exchange page as a request, even for none garden items if you have it or can find it.

Yes, this would require us to start getting items NOW on clearance to share in the months were plants or bulbs are not available. So, if you want to participate then you might want to start making purchases now to send out to who ever for those winter months.

Ok, now for the spending limit, it is up to you, but letÂs say a minimum of 20.00, I am not saying you have to spend 30.00 or 40.00 bucks per person per month, but make it something you would like to receive as well. The limit will be on gifted items not plants, but letÂs agree to spend a minimum of 20.00 per person for non-plant items. Again, the limit would be up to you, but at least 20.00 dollars per person, unless of course you can take advantage of clearance racks now then the dollar value would actually be less then 20.00 even though the original price would have totaled 20.00. Say you find a 5.00 pair of pruners on sale at 70% off, that would make them 1.50, but you can count it as a 5.00 purchase toward your total of the 20.00 minimum.

Now, there would be not limit toward plant totals, because how would you gauge the value of a plant, UNLESS you actually purchase a prized plant for someone then it can be counted toward your spending limit. Example, someone is looking for a Lilac bush or special tree (or any other plant this is an example), you find it for 12.00 and you purchase it that will be part of your total limit amount because you actually had to make the purchase for the receiver and understandably you would only need a value of 8.00 dollars more to achieve your 20.00 spending limit. In a case such as this, if you feel as though there would be a grievance against you in the group you may contact the moderator to explain your intention and it will get approval. This way there will be no dispute on any parties behalf. *** see below for more information on this subject.

I would like to start in January 2009, why am I posting the idea NOW you ask? To give EVERYONE a chance to make purchases now for items they may want to include for the months of January, February, March, and maybe even April for those who may join who still doesnÂt have plants available from their yards in April. Also, it would give everyone time to think about this and whether or not they would like to participate. Please consider your commitment long term BEFORE you agree to join this group.

Ok, now, I understand that things unforeseen arise from time to time, but this is going to be a ONE YEAR commitment on all our parts that join up for this Group. With that being said, please either start putting back items and savings for these months in order to be able to ship to whomever will be the recipient for future months, it wouldnÂt be fair for anyone to ship something to someone else and then because something happened they didnÂt receive a box from everyone. LetÂs prepare for the upcoming B-day months.

OK, now, to decide how many can join this group, I was thinking 1 or 2 per month, if it is limited to only a few participants then it wouldnÂt be so hard on any of us to ship to a few. Therefore we would either receive anywhere from 12 (limited to 1 B-day a month) to 24 (limited to 2 B-days a month) boxes each for our Birthday in that month, which is why I would like for the boxes to be shipped as close to the actual day a possible.

***Grievances or Dispute!!!*** As always, there will be no personal private emails, no negative comments, or anything to hurt anyoneÂs feelings. This is meant to be a fun group and fun swaps for all who participate. If you feel you need to vent please contact me or one of the other moderators and explain what happened or made you think you have a complaint. I feel this is necessary due to some issues within other groups. If you need approval for something you would like to send then again contact me or one of the other moderators. Grievances or Dispute WILL NOT be made public to other group members only to the person(s) involved and to the moderators.

I would like to have one or two moderators to help me in case I (god forbid) get sick or something and can not monitor the monthly happenings in that week or two. This is to be persons who can and will be willing to email myself and the other moderator about happenings within the group. This will keep us educated and up-to-date within our group.

Also, I would like anyone who participates to post what they receive and pictures would be even better.

Should we happen not to have someone for every month than we as a group will decide whether we want to partner up and choose a theme for that month OR skip it all together.This is to be decided in that particular month!

Ok, I think thatÂs it, if you would like to sign-up or think it is a good group to start then please post. I would like your thoughts, and or commitments. Good, Bad, or to sign-up, letÂs begin!!! Let's have some fun!

:)Fran

Comments (150)

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Marie,

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, it was brought to my attention (by a very intelligent lady) that instead of us voting on those wishing to join the swap maybe we should come up with some requirements to qualify to join this swap. I THOUGHT it was a fabulous idea:
    Suggestion that started this: Maybe you should ask the ones that have signed up so far what requirements they want for the group, ie: GW member for over a year, at least 5 pos. reviews, a trade page up and filled out, etc. then those could be posted on the thread and it would eliminate a lot of newer members wanting to join.
    WOW how smart was this idea? Thanks for making the suggestionit is terrific and DUH, WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT?

SO if any of you have any suggestions you deem fit for requirements of those seeking to join in on this swap please feel free to email them to me, OR post them here and the ones we like we will adopt and eliminate the need for voting!!!
    Ok, any suggestions? Ideas? Go for it.

Thanks everyone, I will be looking forward to the group input on this matter.

Also, I have been thinking about the need to create an outside GW source for this group to use when we begin BECAUSE once we start this and being posting pics of what we received it might just get a little crowded on the group thread. IF anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on this please let me know. AND if you can help create it...I would like to know this too, should the decision be made to go forth with this plan. We would STILL post the everyday chit-chat and other stuff here but use the other for a more permanent month to month hub. Which do all of you think?
    :)Fran

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Birthday Bash 2009 Jan part 2-Cupid Swap info

Q

Comments (150)
    Marie, I true am sorry for hell week for you. This is what all this sounds like. Just BREATHE. You will get through it all will be better you will be happier this are gonna change for you! IN A GREAT GOOD POSITIVE WAY! Want me to keep repeating THAT to you? Your daughters room will be pretty and unigue and she will love it! Her and her friends will have a blast painting it! My son wanted to do green/blank/white stripes with black trim and a black carpet in his room I was going to him but we moved out of that house before we got it situated because the landlady was insane! We lived there a month! It will all be ok we will all get through all we have going on! One day at a time. HERE IS MY NEW UPDATE: (just copied from another post it was easier) The good news for us is we just found a place to rent that we pretty much had been looking for for YEARS! The bad part is, I have to MOVE. The electric com. there is HIGHER then ANY OTHER ONE and the house is TINY, TINY, TINY!!! Gosh where am going to PUT EVERYTHING? The GOOD news is: There are over 50 acres available to use for horses/cows, we can have a pig, chickens, or any other animal it is already set up for a chicken house. There is a creek on it the yard is LARGE there is a HUGE garden spot and 2 more places the gentleman said we can put a garden if we want THERE ARE NO RESTRICTIONS TO THE LAND AT ALL! He said I can put in ALL the FLOWERS I wanted all he asked is we take care of the house with is NOT a problem and the place is CHEAPER then HERE and it is back in the area we used to live! Gee whiz I think I just convinced myself it is worth moving too after all. I have been dreading it but looking at the pluses there are more of those then there are minuses! BUT the major on is I HAVE TO MOVE, I HATE moving! And the house being smaller is a downer to me too but hey I get to plant whatever my heart desires how great is that? I am happy about being able to plant whatever BUT the yard PRETTY much ALL of it is overgrown and has bramble bushes all over that will have to be cut out those stupid tree bush things can't think of what they are BUT we will be cutting wood and srubs out all summer and MAYBE YEARS to come IF we stay there any lenght of time. It will be a lot of work but no close neighbors and all the other pluses are well worth the move even though there will be a lot of losses too. I have a LOT of stuff that I am not willing to part with and will have to get a building I guess to store it all in. For the most part I am happy but NOT looking forward to moving in gerenal and all my plants are not up yet and I will be losing some of those I fear! It irks me to because I just started trading for them last season! No, I am not sure were all of them are even though I DID put plant markers up the stupid stray neighborhood cats scratched/laid/fought in the beds and misplaced the labels! OH well, Marie I am truly sorry life hit you so hard these last few months if there was something I could do to help fix it I would! diene, when I said I would go ahead and post the March month I meant after everyone had posted they had received. I KNEW it was going to be a few more days for those :) not rushing anything BELIEVE ME! Cause that means I will be one more year older! Later everyone, please check in. Boy howdy, I didn't mean to write a book! :) Fran
    ...See More

update: birthday bash month may

Q

Comments (61)
    That's it in a nutshell, Nikki...it's just the thought, not the actual day. So I will feel special no matter WHEN ya'll decide to send. I promise. :O) This weather is really strange. It rained the nearly the entire month of May, then the last week of May & this week, it's been in the 90's and bone dry. All the wet just evaporated, and all the plants wilted from the shock!! It's raining again today...but I don't know what the plants will do tomorrow when the sun comes out, and they start baking all over again! I've lost several plants this past week, just because it was too much for them. The only things looking halfway decent are the daylilies, and even they are dropping leaves! I'm ready for things to settle down, I tell you what. Over the past 3 weeks, I've lost an uncle, my friend lost her daughter in a car accident (she was in a coma for a week, and we thought she might actually make it), the front end went out from under the suburban while I was driving it to my uncle's funeral, the roof is leaking, the toilet isn't flushing, and I'm worn out. Hubby has asked me to take a break from swapping for the next month or 2, just to give myself one less thing to worry about. He usually knows when I'm close to the breaking point LONG before I do. Anyway...all that is on top of the usual stuff- homeschooling the kids, DR's appts, hubby working 14 hours a day, a teething baby, other mundane life things....WHEW.... Yes, I'm ready for things to settle down just a bit. Even just a month with no vehicle trouble, that'd be good! LOL Ok..sorry about that, I just had to vent a bit. :O) I didn't even know I had it in me! I hope everyone is doing OK? I haven't seen Kym post in awhile, so I hope she's feeling better. Mama Fran- you don't seem to be posting as much lately, either...I hope things are OK with you? Mariann~ I hope you feel better soon. That stuff is hard to kick it seems! Hugs to everyone!
    ...See More

UPDATE: Birthday Bash 2009 begins

Q

Comments (150)
    Well, I just got Vic good. I found her on ebay and wouldn't tell her WHO I was and made her guess. By golly she got it right too, first try! Ain't SHE a smart cookie? Well played Ms. Vic! Now who's a smarty? HEHE Vic you asked me how SO was doing on the smoking he has not had an actual cig. since Nov 12. BUT he is using the Nicorette gum. I hope he can really quit this time. This is the longest I have known him to go without one, and NOT breaking down and getting one. We also found out yesterday at a follow up visit to his reg. Doc. that he DID in fact have a mild heart attack. She said they where not SURE WHEN it happened but it shows up that it did. Well WE know for a FACT that is the day (Nov. 12) it happened because he had never experienced anything like the pain before and he also hurt in his chest for almost a week afterwards. He had just had some test a few months before to look to see what if anything build up was there and at that time there were so signs of a heart attack. So YES the 12th IS when it happened. I am just glad is wasn't severe and he made it home from where he was and we were able to get him to the hospital. So, yes I was sort of freaking after we heard the news and still am a little, I haven't been able to sit down an calmly talk to him about our future and what he needs to do now to take care of himself and make sure it doesn't happen again. However, when I think I can talk without breaking down we will be discussing some options, and what-if's in case there is a next time. WHICH I HOPE there isn't, but we do have to talk about it at any rate. ANYWAY, Bunny, I still haven't gotten my act together... I promise I will. It maybe a little late, but I will get your 'prize' out to you. I feel like such a slacker! I'm sorry. Kym has her hands full with all her Secret Santa swap stuff, but I can tell you her kids ages are girl 16 and boy 14! I have insight...hehe, actually I have her questionnaire...HEHE, that is cheating now ain't it? Ok, ladies I will tell you. I will be posting a game in the next week or maybe 2. When I decide what the prize will be and then I will post something. I have to decide what the prize will be before hand and then I have to decide what I want the game to be! Something hard or something that can be found online! Well, I am either going to turn in or go play a game, it depends on how heavy my eyelids get in the next 30 min. or so. :) Fran
    ...See More

UPDATE: Birthday Bash 2009 Secret Santa Dec Swap

Q

Comments (150)
    I'm here, Mama Fran....I've just had another of those weekends. I tell ya what, I'm getting tired of 'em. I keep telling the kids that I'm gonna run off and join the circus, just so I can have a break. Sad, huh?? LOL I hate feeling down, and I know it's the hormones...but I guess with everything else going on, too, it's understandable. I was doing OK, just a few weepy moments this weekend, UNTIL my mother called this morning to inform me how FAT I am, and WHY HAVEN'T I HAD THAT BABY YET, DO I WANT TO KEEP GETTING FATTER?? Good Grief, like I'm holding the baby in or something. And like I'm supposed to have a healthy baby WITHOUT gaining weight?? Hello? And she needs to tell me this RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of all the other stressful stuff I'm dealing with??! *UGH!!!!!!* Calgon, take me away!!!! Any-hooooooo....... I'm not great with seeds either, Diene! LOL That's why I helped you out...I wanted to see someone else win that might be able to grow them better than I could. :O) Fran~ Don't worry about sending me a prize, I've already won a game. I didn't do the puzzle for the prize, I just had fun doing the scramble. Send Ms Diene the prize, I believe she had more correct answers than I did, anyway!! Everyone~ Thank you for the prayers. My family really needs them right now, and I appreciate it. You don't know how much. :O) Things are starting to look a bit brighter (as long as I don't answer the phone when mother calls)....just gotta get over this bump. I hope everyone has a great Sunday! Stay safe & stay warm!!
    ...See More
  • dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Fran, if you want to have an outside source for posting pics, how about using photobucket.com? We could start a new account there, then let everyone have the username and password so we could all post our own photos there. Once we'd posted a photo album, we could post here on our thread about the album's availability, and everyone could go look.
    -Dan

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello Fran;
    I have been watching this post with interest and want to emphasize what has been mentioned about a year long commitment. I have been in several of these over the years and will no longer join because of the fall out from the early receivers.
    The excuses are all quite legitimate but the end result is the same. One thought might be to make every person in the swap have an alternate person to back them up. For example, I would be happy to back up Deb as I know she would fulfill her commitment.
    That might be the best way of assuring this continues for a year. I have been in these swaps twice where the hostess does not fulfill her commitment.
    diene

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Diene, that's a great idea! Yes, seems any of these swaps I've seen were never followed through by all the members either. Which is very unfair for those in the later mos.

Fran, I don't know why you couldn't still post your pics here? It is still just one thread we would use, and there would only be one set of pics a month. If it becomes a problem then you could think about getting a diff account.
    Gosh, I know I keep butting in like I've joined the group! LOL!

Tomorrow is the big day! My tummy is starting to get that "feeling"! I just hope it's not one of those deals where they say "we'll let ya know" My last job I had to go through 3 intervies and a physical!

Vic

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Come on ya'll someone surely know's fox's name!!!!

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Pixie, I wasn't going to guess because I haven't joined the swap, but if it's ok I'll guess Richard.
    If it's only for the swapers, then someone else can take my guess! : )
    Vic

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

sure ya can guess Vic. Are ya going to join? we need 3 more people, I think Fran is going to close it at 12.

Sorry though its not Richard

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your input Diene, all this negative stuff about past swaps is starting to make me think I have a bad idea after all :(. I just thought it would be neat to get lots of boxes for your birthday.

Vic about the pics, is because some ppl have trouble 1) posting here 2) either resizing OR having trouble remembering TO resize
    also, even if it was just once a month and there are 12 pics to post, that is a lot at one time.
    BUT not if everyone makes then small and then they might be too small to see the contents.
    ANYWAY, it will all get worked out in the end...
    AND I KNOW you are going to join us Vic...I just KNOW you are...lol.

Ok, Pixie and I have talked about this...we have a resolution to drop outs and pitfalls should there be any. At this point I feel it is best to close this BB swap at 12 members.color>size>
    This should make it easier on all who join, and easier to stay in for the duration.
    We need 3 more to fill this to make it an official list of 12 members.
    If anyone wishes to join us Please feel free to do so. Thanks.

Heres To a WONDERFUL UP COMING CELEBRATION!!!color>size>

:) Fran

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Way to go Fran, only 3 more spots to fill. Way to put the pressure on me, and get me worried about loosing a spot! LOL
    I keep thinking about taking the dive! My B-day is July 18th, but I would be happy to take one of the colder months, I think getting gardening stuff in Feb or March would be great, seems like that's when the "winter blues" are the worse! What a great pick me up that would be.

Ya, you're right about a diff page for pics, I'm famous for forgetting to downsize mine, or not making them small enough! LOL

Later, going out to play in the heat!
    Vic

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Fran, if you'd like to move me to another month so we don't get a double whammy in September, that'd be fine with me.
    Besides, that would give me the chance to celebrate my birthday twice next year, and who could complain about that?
    Seek Codes

MySpace Graphics

• galium
    15 years ago

Trina-I'm going to say Steve. Hope I have the right swap this time LOL
    Mariann

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello All;
    Remember when I said that cheating is not only allowed but encouraged. Fox's real name is David and I know I am right on this but do not accuse me of cheating, just know I did.
    diene

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello All;
    I will join if you do not have to do your birthday month, I will pick October and I will say my birthday is the 12th which is really my brother's birthday. I also think that if you are only stopping at 12, the cost would be cut in half for people that were worried about costs.
    Let me know if I am in. Thanks.
    diene

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Miss. diene I thought you said...and I quote: I have been in several of these over the years and will no longer joincolor> because of the fall out from the early receivers. END QUOTE AND THEN Second and I quote:I will join ifcolor> you do not have to do your birthday month. END QOUTE. HAHAHA...TAG YOUR IT....OH GIRLY, YOU ARE MOST DEFINITELY IN NOW...YEP YEP...YOU SAID IT...remember the posted rules...once you say "I'M IN" YOU CAN'T BACK OUT...OH NO...You did...You SAID IT...YOU'RE IN IT...lol

LADIES AND GENTLE MAN, Congratulations are in order and I would like to introduce you all to dah dah dah: MISS OCTOBER....diene...lol.

OH VIC...Just say it...go a head...you know you want too...it's on the tip of your tongue...do I need to say it for you?

I WANT TO JOIN...easy peasy...say it, say it, say it...whoop whoop...you go girl...just say it...go ahead.
    Take the plunge...you're gonna anyway...just go ahead and get it over withhehe

Ok...with VIC in too, once she actually says it...(rolling eyes) we will only need one more to finish out the year...IF NO ONE PLEDGES then we will decide later on what to do with that month.

Those of you who do not mind switching up a month let me know which one and I will post you to that month.

January
    February (maybe Vic, shaking head...like pulling on a mule...stubborn, stubborn, stubborn)
    November as still open.

OK..Let's see what happens next...wow today is just full of surprises...lol. (diene hehe)

Vic, just breathe, tomorrow will be A ok! Good luck, dont let the butterflies take over.BREATHE.

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

OK, OK! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!! I'M IN!! LOL
    color> size>You're right Fran, I just can't stay out, I've been wanting to do one of these for sooo long! And since it will only be one per month.....

Vic

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Ok Mariann, your in the right group this time but sorry thats not his name.

I am laughin Diene, don't know whether you cheated or not, but I won't accuse ya lol You got it, fox is actually David lol.

Welcome Vic and Diene!!

If we don't get anyone else we could always just do a Cold month normal swap say in November towards the end of the year.

I will post another game soon.

Congratulations Diene I'll get your Goodies out to you this week.

Smiles,
    Pixie

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Okay Fran, put me down for a birthday in January, let's say the 22nd. That's adding my actual month (9) and date (13) together. That way, September will only have one person in it (Melissa), and Vic won't have to worry about sending a box to two people that month, now that we've got her snagged! hehehe
    C'mon Vic, you KNEW you were gonna! As a matter of fact, we've got a picture of you trying to decide whether or not to join. Want to see it??? Well, here it is...
    Seek Codes

MySpace Graphics

So Fran, where does that put us all?
    -Dan

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

DAN! Now I know why I feel like ppl are watching me!! LOL

Fran, if we don't get another, what if we move Deb up and we could alway skip Dec. or do a normal swap.......

HEHEHE, I'm soooo excited! I'm gonna start some clearence shopping!

Vic

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

I don't know if any of you are blondes or not, natural or otherwise, but I just found this online, and, since I'm still laughing at it, I just HAD to share it!!! It even mentions seeds!!! ROFL!!!
    Seek Codes
    {{gwi:1295511}}
    MySpace Graphics

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vic I am glad you finally just went ahead and said it!...lol. Good Luck tomorrow and I hope your butterflies went away.

I will post the list tomorrow. I am sleepy and just too tired right now to do it...

DAN!...you and your graphics...OH MY... what can I say?

Niters

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, Here it is as it is at the moment:

January---
    22--dan_the_mailman/Dan
    February-
    Vic, pic a date girly
    March---
    20ncgardengirl/Fran(NC)(ME)
    April---
    10---flwers4ever/Kym (R.I.)
    May---
    17 nikkineels/nikki
    June
    20---pixiesluvplants/Pixie (TX) moderator
    July---
    17---galium/Mariann
    August
    23---wynative/Marie (WY)
    September---
    26---hazelnutbunny/Melissa
    October---
    12---diene/diene
    November---open
    December---
    17debbya/Deb (Il)

Alrighty then...one more and we will be set.

Ok now, I want to set up a questionnaire for everyone to answer.
    I want everyone to think of something you would like to know about each other FOR INSTANCE:

What types of plants do you like the most:

What type of plants do you dislike the most and wouldn't want to receive:

For non-plant items would you be interested in receiving kitchen items:

IF so, give us and idea of what you decor is (motif):
    (example Fran one day plans on apples, anything apple related would be fine)

Do you like yard art/ornaments:

IF so what type:
    (ex:frog, piggys, gnomes,fairy)

Do you collect anything:
    (ex: Fran likes frog, piggys, gnomes kind of)

That sort of thing. I will put it all together and the when it is time I will send the finished product out to everyone after it is finished OR a month before that person's month. Or Both, which ever anyone wants to do.

OK, I think that is it for this. You can post your questions or email them to me, whatever you want to do.

Thanks,

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Just a quick thought, idea.. Would anyone be interested in starting this a little sooner? January seems so far away, LOL! If everyone is interested in starting this sooner, I'll take November, and in December we could have a Christmas party/exchange (or secret santa). Then go straight to our regular months. I'm sure this swap will go really well. We have a great group! Just an idea! ;)

Deb

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Fran, just a thought to help make it easier on you.....
    What if we put on out member pages the info? That way you wouldn't have to worry about having to get/send everyones info?

Ok, now I'm gonna take a deep breath, go out and see if I have any new blooms, then take Zack to a daycare for a couple hrs so I can go to my interview......
    He said he did NOT want to go to daycare! And of course, Jamie had to mention to him over the weekend that he was going to daycare today! (men!)
    I told him he is going on a "play date" AND he gets to take his own lunch in a special little cooler! Now he is all excited! LOL

Vic

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Deb, I like that idea, anyone else like it?

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL on Zack Vic...

Ok, the info on the members page, some I think will feel this is to personal, and not related to GW in general and wouldn't want to leave it posted for a year.
    Also I (personally) have been told that somethings listed on a member page was TOO personal so I wouldn't want to offend anyone by listing a personal questionnaire about myself.

DEB!!!! I am game for that IF everyone wants to we will. I was thinking it was a LONG way aways too since we are full-up and decided to do only 12 members...lol.
    I have no problems with that, IF everyone wants to go ahead and do something.
    Dec. sounds good for a Christams 'party' too, BUT I had a brainstorm for Nov, maybe we could partner up and do a secrete swap instead of one person taking any months this year. That way the Birthday BASH can get going next year...

UNLESS Deb dosen't want DEC next year and we want to do another Christmas Bash/Party for that month too, then it would be ok for her to fill the NOV spot for next year. Or someone else can switch months..but we need to know who and where so it can get posted.

I am ok with either.
    Just let us know what you think for any of the above listed month suggestions.

Thanks again,
    Fran

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

I think starting the swap now is a good idea. Maybe for October? Doing the secret partners is a good idea, also. That always makes it more fun.
    Also, starting a few months early could let us get any *problems* ironed out that come up.

Oh, I do want to remind everyone that I will probably be a bit slow in getting my December package out (if we have a swap for that month). You know I WILLcolor> get it out, but it's hard to predict when the baby will decide to arrive, and I'm always down for a week-long (or more!) count afterwards. LOL

Just thought it'd be fair to warn everyone! :O)

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes Bunny, we will allow for your little bundle of joy...
    What happened to the I will pack my box early so I can have everything ready in advance?...That is ALREADy biting you in the behind now ain't it Dear?....ROFLMBO....hehehe
    You KNOW I wasn't going to let that slip by didn't you? Humm did you?

I meant to include at some point I would like to include a B-day card in our Birthday Boxes, those of you who are out of your B-day months JUST pretent it is...lol. OR keep them until ur actual B-day...lol. And maybe wrap something in B-day present wrapping...something, whatever you choose. Just thought that would be a nice gesture.

Ok then, I really don't want to start too too early bcuz I still have to get things situated.
    Also STILL looking for questions to include on the I want to get to know you questionnaire.

Ok..
    Thanks everybody,

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Hi,
    To make it simple, I like Bunny's idea too. Start in October or November (November's blank, so I would love to take it). Have a wild Christmas party, and finish up the rest of the B-Days! And start it up all over again if everything goes well! What does everyone else think? January is months away. December would really be too much for me, I can't imagine trying to keep track of what everyone sent, post, and be online so much that month.
    It would turn into work, more than fun. But, I'm more than willing to do November! ;)

Deb

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

OUCH!color>
    Gosh Fran..you don't let anything slip by you, huh???
    Well...I suppose it's more of the "getting the box to the PO" than it is getting one together. LOL I've actually GOT a box or 2 partially ready, but they need to be customized for the person & swap...if that makes sense! :O)

I think maybe it'd be better to send out the questionnaires the month before that person's month. That way, it will be current & fresh in everyone's minds. I know some things change during the year...and maybe what we THOUGHT we were going to be collecting or working on is different, for some reason.
    Uh...did that make sense? LOL
    I guess, it's like......last summer, all I collected was Daylilies. But this year, I've gotten more perinnials and I'm working on my castle & miniature garden. So what would have worked for me last summer, isn't necessarily what I'd like now.

Some good things to know would be what style their garden is, what they plan to do (project wise) this season, favorite garden tools, stuff they'd like to receive that ISN'T related to gardening, favorite colors/scents/themes, GLOVE SIZE (this one especially for the ladies!), prefer cuttings/rooted plants or seeds (some of us don't have luck getting cuttings to root), hobbies, crafts we like to do.....
    That sort of thing. I know I'm always looking to add something to the box that THAT person will enjoy especially. Sometimes it's difficult, since some are more *open* on the threads than others, and we all know what they'd like or not like. Other times....I"m really shooting in the dark, and that REALLY bugs me. I hate the thought that someone will be disappointed in the box I'm sending. :O(color>

And now....I'll quit rambling, and go make supper.

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

After reading the last few posts, here's what I'm seeing.
    We're all wanting to start the fun of sending gifts.
    Fran needs more time to polish things before she's ready to give us the go-ahead. (very understandable, this is a huge undertaking)
    We have no one to send boxes to in November, and then we have Deb in December.
    So, here's my suggestions.....
    1) We give Fran September and October to work out the details and get our questionnaires sorted.
    2) In November, we have a secret partner swap.
    3) In December, we celebrate Debs birthday.
    4) We continue with everyone's "birthday" through next October or November, depending upon if someone else joins us or not.
    5) In December of 2009, we have ourselves a Christmas party, the likes of which will scandalize the fur off of all the reindeer pulling Santa's sleigh! Egg nog for everyone!

If we have no one in the November slot next year, we can decide later what to do with that month.

Fran, I've got a couple of questions you could include in with your questionnaire...
    What kind of growing conditions does your garden have (wet, dry, full-sun, shady, etc.)
    Do you have any particular colors in your garden (whites, reds, purples)
    Do you grow your own herbs? If so, what do you have? want?

Okay, my brain is tired, so that's it for me tonight. I'm off to collect more seeds.
    Later!

-Dan

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bunny, I MUST be diligent in my observationslol. I followed EVERYTHING you said, so if it doesnt make sense to anyone else then you understand why my kids always said. Mom, your weird (or backwards)! LoL. I always say stuff VERY different from everybody else.
    As far as the PO goes, MAYBE you could have them pick it up there. Speaking of the PO, I do have something I need to address on that issue as well.
    AND as far as those questions you said needed to be included, or you would like to have includedwhatever, you know what I meanBUT ANYWAY I have those covered.

Thanks Dan, I think you got it right. EXCEPT, Deb doesnt want Dec. so if she wants Nov I am ok with that and we could either SKIP this DEC OR do secrete swaps or another Christmas thing and then next year have a fabulous Christmas blowoutwith skipping Nov. I think I confused myself on that one.

I will get my questionnaire together and post it so everyone can see what is on it already Courtesy of Pixie with a few add ons so far of my own.

Also I need everyones addresses: although I DO have a few it would be easier if I just get them all in one spot and save them in a folder I am creating for the Birthday Bash.

Ok, now for the Postal Question: I was wondering if everyone would be ok with the 12.80 (LARGE) Priority Box or the 9.80 (small) Priority Box. Although it is ultimately up to you WHAT you put in it, I would prefer we all send the same size box to make it fair. Everyone would get the same size box from everyone, filled with as much or whatever we could get in it. I was thinking the 12.80 box since it is a little larger. OR would you rather forgo to Priority Boxes all together and try to find another suitable box size we all can find and agree on?

I was personally thing too it would be better to send the next months questionnaire the month before too. That way it would give a month to work on "SPECIAL" things, to make the box unique to that person. We wouldnt feel too rushed to get them together with a month to work on it. At least that was where I was going with that when I ask what you all wanted to do or thought about it.

Ok. Not promising I will get that questionnaire posted tonight BUT I try. Depends on if I can get this headache to go away, it rained today not making the sinuses happy.BUT I would rather have the rain so now I have to deal with the aftermathlol.

OK, Dont forget to send/post some questions, dont forget to send your addresses.

OK then...:) Fran

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Ok, first, I'll take the 18th, since my bday is the 18th.

Next, Fran, that's fine however you want to do it, I just mentioned putting on our pages b/c I've seen some others do that....

Also, I THINK, (correct me if I'm wrong) that Deb wanted a diff. month than Dec. and offered to take Nov.
    I like the idea of a Christmas or secret santa swap, I think it would be fun! What do you guys think? Unless Deb wants to keep Dec.

And, I would like to have a little bit of an idea on what ppl like ahead of time, esp. since there are a lot of sale items out now. And that way while shopping if you see something that will "fit" someone you can pick it up then rather than find out they would have really liked it 3 mos later and not find it again (at least that's how my luck goes! lol)
    What about putting on your list something that you really DON'T like or want - some ppl love candles, while others may have them coming out the wazoo.....
    Other outdoor items - like for the grill, flags, lights etc.

Finally! lol
    I went to my interview today, it went OK, I guess....It wasn't really a postion I am looking for, but would be ok, it is only 20hrs/wk, but still mon - fri 8am-12 : (
    If only working 20hrs, I would like to do it in 3 days, not 5 esp. with the price of gas.....but on a brighter note, I figure if they don't call me back I won't be heartbroken! lol
    I just hope she didn't sense my dissapointment after we started talking hrs and pay.....

Vic

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Just a thought....color>

With this November, we could have a Turkey celebration. Center it around food -food type seeds, flowers named after candy/food, harvest themed stuff, pumpkins...and of course TURKEYS. LOL Then we could have a secret santa swap for December...and on to the BIRTHDAYS!

The Nov. & Dec. swaps could both be whatever we could fit in a large bubble envie or small box, anything less than $5 to ship. That way, we aren't breaking out banks before the holidays OR before the "real" swapping begins. And we could see just how creative we all can be with little packages!
    (NO comments, Mr. Dan!!) LOL

Like I said...just a few ideas. Tell me to shut up if you'd like to. :O)

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello All;
    Maybe you do not understand but I do, Deb and I have the same birthday and it is not much fun. Deb would love to have a November Birthday so let us start in November with Deb and then do something small for the holidays, maybe even a card.
    I am ready to start with Deb in November, what fun that would be for her. Trust me, after many years of two cards and one gift, November sounds like a dream.
    The questionnaire is great, I will get it done soon.
    diene

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Yes Diene, that is what I was understanding too, and when we talked about starting early, I thought we would start with the bday swap (except for Dec).

Fran, do you think we need to send in a certain size box? We have a minimum limit, so all boxes should be somewhat even, and for some boxes, depending how far you send them, it can be quite a bit cheaper to send by wt. I have rec'd flat rate boxes that could have been sent by wt a lot cheaper. It really only pays to do it that way if you have heavy stuff, or are shipping a long distance.
    And, what does everyone think about sending 1st class with a dc# IF there are no tender plants? I would rather spend the extra $$ on the gift then give it to the usps (sorry Dan)

Fran, I didn't see your post before I posted last time, didn't mean to repeat some stuff lol

Vic

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, on the Flat rate boxes, if you don't feel like you can max it out to the point of sending a flat rate then a smaller box would be suitaboe BUT that is why I was asking now IF we ALL should go ahead and agree to send one of the flat rate sizes to keep the box size even and a FLAT RATE....

ok..I just stopped in this time to pick-up some questions.
    I do get that Deb doesn't want Dec..that's ok with me...trust me I understand the Dec babies get screwed...my stepson is the 21 of Dec. so yah...I know...

will be back later...:) Fran

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Yeppers, Yeppers Yeppers, on all the above. Fran is getting the questionaire ready and I think we are starting in November (now watch me go and confuse everything here) with Deb being the Birthday Girl.

This is going to be a fun swap and it seems like everyone is ready to get started and happy with things so YAY!! Fran has done a great job.

As far as the shipping goes I think we should all just ship as we normally would, and not make things any more difficult than they need to be. I, like you Vic, would rather spend the money on the gift(s) rather than to the PO but it really depends on what I am sending.

So now where is our fearless leader???

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

OOOPS! I forgot, you can only send up to 13oz. 1st class.

Fran, I wasn't trying to be difficult : ) sorry
    What I meant was this....
    If I am sending a box that weights 5 lbs (that's a heavy box) priority it would cost me
    $16.80 to send to zn8 (which would be diene)
    $13.45 to send to zn6 (Dan)
    $7.75 to send to zn3 (Marie)

3 lbs would be:
    $11.50
    $9.55
    $5.95

So yes, most times flat rate is better, but the boxes aren't that big (I haven't seen the big box yet) But let's say I find Dan a postal car bird feeder that costs $25.00, but only weighs 3 lbs but needs a really big box....(no Dan, I didn't, it's just an example lol)

But, I am willing to send how ever everyone agrees to, please don't take it that I was being difficult, I know you are really working hard on this swap and I do appreciate it and am not trying to give you a hard time.
    (I bet your starting to regret talking me into it aren't ya! LOL)

Vic

• diene
    15 years ago

I vote for sending the cheapest way possible without compromising the contents. Let us have a bit of faith in all of the group that they are not going to send something that will be damaged (unless of course the PO is having a bad day).
    diene

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Well, I am coming in on the end of the conversation..but I would rather have the ability to mail however I see fit for each month..last year, I bought a large item for a swap, and there was no way it would go into a flat rate box, and several times I used a flat rate, and the man at the PO told me it would of been cheaper to do it by weight..BUT with that being said..Ill follow whatever rules are decided on..

ALSO, I thought the idea of talking about this swap, was to give us all time to find things ahead to add into the boxes..if we start too soon, we wont be having a "stash" to be sending from..LOL

Is there any way we can do a questionarre NOW, and then one the month before also...I would like an idea of what kind of things to look for while I am out shopping..Id hate to buy a bunch of gnomes on sale, and no one like them (example)

Question: should we list if we have kids, or fur kids..so people can send to them if they are inclined to ?

Question: Is there any allergies ?

Question : Are there plants that you do not like, or have an abundance of ?

Question: what are the top 10 plants you would want..this would narrow down their top choices..and would be fun to know.(esp when people have HUGE want lists)

Question: What is your favorite plant color ? Fav color in home decor ? Fav color to wear ?

Just a few I thought of..good luck with the questionarre.

Boy, Fran...we all gotta watch what we say here, Huh, Bunny ? LOL

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kym...already have those covered too...
    ok..just hold off on the questions until I get these finished...then u can see what I have already covered and then if there is something else you would like to add we will.

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

LOL Kym this could end up being "This is your life" eh???

Great questions for the questionaire too.

I think that is smart to do one now and then also have the questionaire sent out the month before just to refresh our memories cause I am the worst about remembering things.

I agree with ya'll about the shipping, I know I learned from experience that bubble wrap is a friend and not to pack too tight or just move up to a larger box if need be. Oh well live and learn eh?

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok...here is what I have so far...
    I WILL EMAIL THIS TO YOU PLEASE DO NOT CCP THERE MAY BE MORE QUESTIONS ADDED OTHERS WANT ON HERE BEFORE WE ARE FINAL.

I will ask you to answers all questions...Please take time to think about what your answers might be. IF you want to save this one to help you answer them later then please go ahead and do that, HOWEVER, if something gets added be sure to answer it on the one emailed to you.

Personal Info:
    Name:
    Address:
    City: State: Zip:
    Email address:

What type of movies do you like? Favorites?

What are your least favorite movies?

What type of books do you read?

What are your least favorite books?

What are your favorite types of music?

What are your least favorite types of music?

What are your favorite colors?

What is you shoe size?

What is your hat size?

What is your belt size?

Are you allergic to: Smells? (Perfumes, Lotions, Cologne)

Do you have a favorite scent?

Do you have a favorite lotion or shaving cream or after shave?

Do you have any allergic triggers? (Clorox, detergents, soaps)

Do you wear finger nail polish?

What colors are you favorite?

Would you prefer not to receive finger nail polishes?

Would you like to receive manicure items? (clippers, emery board)

Do you have long hair?

Would you like to receive barrettes or ponytail holders?
    Do you have pierce ears?

Can you were costume jewelry?
    Would you prefer not to receive any jewelry adornment items?
    Do you collect household indoor items? (ex: candles, tins, soaps)

If so what types? Scents?

What would you NOT want to receive for indoor décor?

What type of theme do you have indoors?
    Kitchen? Bath?

Do you have children?

What are their ages?

Would you want something including for them?

If so what type of items? (coloring books, children books)

Do you like novelty items? (pens, pencils, notepads, stickers, stamps and ink pads)

Food
    Are you allergic to any foods?

Do you like cooking?

What are you favorite types of food?

What types of foods do you dislike?

Do you like chocolate?

If you dont like chocolate what is your favorite candy(ies)?

What is your favorite snack food?

Would you want to receive homemade goodies? (cookies, brownies)

What is your favorite types drink non-alcoholic?
    Coffee, Tea

List your favorite flavors: Please list as many as you like:
    Teas:

List your favorite flavors: Please list as many as you like:
    Coffees:

Drinks others:

Do you do alcoholic drinks?

If so what are your favorite types?

Garden Info:
    What zone are you in:
    Tell us a little about your specific growing conditions, for your yard:
    (sunny, hot/dry, wet, shady, hilly, flat)

Are you allergic to any plants?

Do you enjoy houseplants; Specific types?

What if any do you prefer NOT to receive?

What is you glove size?

Would you like to receive garden tools?

If so what types?

Do you have a specific color you would like to receive if possible?

Do you collect seeds?

Would you want homemade seed packs or would you prefer plastic or paper envelopes?

Would you like paint markers or sticks?

Would you want plants makers? Purchased or homemade?

What plants do you have too many of and do not want any more of?

What plants would you like to receive more of?

Is there any color plants you would like to receive?

What themes/ color schemes do you have going on in your garden, if any?

Do you plan on starting any themes or color schemes?

Would you prefer plants or seeds of the above items?

Do you have a pond in your yard?

Are you planning a pond in the future?

Do you need pond related items, if so what would you be wishing for?

Do you want pond plants?

Do you grow vegetables?

Would you like to receive seeds for veggies?

If so what types would you want?

Do you grow herbs, or want to start?

What types of plants do you have? Or would you want to receive?

Would you care to receive herb seeds?

Do you enjoy bulb type plants?

What is your favorite bulb plant?

What is your least favorite bulb plant?

Would you want to receive onions sets and type? (Red, sweet)

Would want to receive garlic? (Types)

Would you want to receive potato seed?

Is there any specialty plant or seeds you would just LOVE to have?

Would you prefer NOT to receive seeds of ANY kind?

Please list at least 10 favorite plants you would like to receive.

Please list at least 10 seeds types you would like to receive.

List types you DO NOT want to receive either plants or seeds wise.

What are 3 plants you would hurt someone to get your hands on you just havent been able to find yet.

Decorations:
    Do you enjoy yard art/decorations/ornaments? (if not say so, hey if you think it is trashy tell us)

Do you collect any specific yard art/decorations/ornaments if so?

Would you like to receive wind chimes?

Would you like to receive outside flags?

Is there any specific outside theme you would just not want?

Do you decorate for holidays?

If so which ones?

Would you want to receive these appropriate decorations?

Which holiday would you least likely wish to receive items for?

What is you favorite Holiday?

Do you have a least favorite holiday?

What is your most favorite season or time of year?

What is you least favorite season or time of year?

Hobbies:
    Besides gardening what are your hobbies if any?

Would you like items related to your favorite other hobbies?

What would you enjoy receiving most relating to your other hobbies?

What would least like to receive relating to your other hobbies?

Do you scrapbook?

Would you want items related to scrap booking? (ink pads, stamps, papers, déco scissors)

Do you enjoy animals?

Do you have any animals? (dog, cat, bird)

Would you want something included for them?

If so what? Toys? Biscuits?

Do you have a specific color you prefer to receive if included?

What is the least favorite item you would want to receive for your pet(s)?

What is you favorite animal?

What is your least favorite animal?

Would you enjoy receiving animal related items? (notepads, stickers etc.)

I KNOW it is long, BUT this will help us all to decide what everyone will want...I think it is pretty much all you could want to know, but maybe I over looked something

I am sleepy and can't think of any thing esle right now.

Ok, night everyone.

• galium
    15 years ago

Fran-As far as boxes go and I haven't read all the posts. I have USPS boxes that are larger than the 2 sizes of flat rate boxes. Sometimes I use those. It depends on the weight of the box as Vic pointed out. I try and keep the weight down in the larger box. Also, don't know if anyone mentioned this but....If you do the postage on line it cost's less. You can also schedule a pickup at no charge. Also you can order boxes from the USPS web site free! Unless I go over the weight limit I stay away from the flat rate boxes.
    Mariann

• galium
    15 years ago

PS-I just read the questionnaire was wondering if I might add something to the jewelry category.
    1. Do you wear jewelry?
    2. What kind of jewelry do you wear?
    3. Can you wear costume jewelry?

The reason I wanted to add this is because I make jewelry. But I work with only Sterling Silver and Gold Filled metals. Some members may like Sterling Silver and others may like gold. I wouldn't want to send someone a bracelet if they don't wear them. I'm done LOL
    Mariann

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Mariann,
    I WAS going to put that....BUT I figured with the prices of metals now NO ONE would go that route so I didn't include it. But since you and I both really wanted to know I will include it just in case. Ok.

On the box note I was trying to make it reasonable fair. However, I want everyone to use the CHEAPEST form you can find to get your packages delivered.
    BUT I didn't want anyone to feel slighted in the least bit about what someone sent. Does that make sense?
    As Pixie told me I was trying to be a MOTHER HEN and I can't do that and I can't save everyone's feelings, we are all ADULTS in this and we ALL know basically what to expect.

SO OK..OK..OK..I give. I will STOP trying to be overly cautious and protect everyone. I just don't want any disappointments I guess. And didn't want anyone to be upset with me...so there...now, you have it.

I DO have a few more things I thought of eariler to add only a few more questions. If everyone is happy with this so far and when I add those I will email it to everyone so you can fill it out.

Alrightly then...what'd I do scare everyone off already with the LONG list? Or the box question?
    OPPS....sorry...lol.

On a side note: Let's not get away from the main focus of this swap...it is for our birthdays AND hopefully a box full of new plants, I do understand however if we do the secret santa or anything for Christmas then plants may not be the focus. BUT the main idea was for plants, and NOT a lot of extra cost involved other than shipping...AND THE MAIN REASON: FOR ALL OF US TO HAVE FUN, FUN, FUN

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

I think the questionnaire is great, Fran. Kind of like those "get to know your friends" emails that everyone sends out to each other. LOL

The jewelry question is a good one. I know several gals make really pretty bracelets & earrings, so before they send them to someone who might now wear them, it'd be a good thing to know...I'd hate to think that someone spent the time & cost to make something that someone else might not like. (ramble?)

If everyone just wants to do something to get things going before January, we could make homemade cards to send out, and maybe include a pack or 2 of seeds, plant markers...maybe a bulb or 2, depending on the zone we're sending to. Anything that could be sent in a bubble envie for a few dollars.
    That would get the group started, without taking much $$ or organizing...OR getting into our "stash".

Along the lines of "what size box to send"...not trying to open that up again...LOL...but I think a good rule of thumb would be to send only what you'd like to receive. If your box would disappoint YOU upon opening it..then DON'T send it. Pretty simple & fair, I think. Like you said, we're all adults, and I think for the most part, we all have good judgement.
    And if nothing else, we could ask the moderators BEFORE we send our boxes if THEY think it is fair (like, if someone has an expensive item they'd like to send, so don't want to send other "stuff" as filler).
    Does that make sense? :O)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Wow Fran! You really put a lot of thought into the questionaire! I think it is great!

And yes, I know you are trying to protect us! "Momma Fran" : )

Vic

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's me...

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

WHOAAAHOOO WE REACHED 150 and haven't even started yet!!!!!! color>size>