SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcc371

NEW: New Year's Theme Swap

mcc371
9 years ago

It's that time of year for New Beginnings and a fresh start to a New Year!
So, let's share our love of seeds with one another by having a theme swap.

What is a theme garden? Well, it's any garden built around a particular theme. Probably the all-time classic one you have heard about is the herb garden, or the vegetable garden. You could build it around a color - moon garden (all white), love garden (all red). You can build it around plant requirements (smart gardeners do this, I'm not one of them, LOL) - shade garden, sun garden, woodland garden, etc. It can be any idea at all, really - be creative! Some people collect plants that have the names of their family members or they like plants that have animal names (like tiger lily.) When I participated last year, I would see the ideas others posted and kept thinking, "I want that one, too!" I currently have a couple, and have some new ideas for this year. It is going to be lots of FUN!!!!

Please sign up on this post up through January 2nd.
List your theme gardens, and any particular seeds you might like for them. Also, update your "Seeds Wanted" file, even if it doesn't have anything to do with the swap - some of us look at those and add in any matches we might have! Then, watch others' posts and start gathering seeds.
You may designate seeds for a specific person, but please put them in a separate baggy with their name on a sticky note rather than indicating it on the packet. That way, if one person gets 20 moonflower packets sent in for them, I can redistribute some to other players.
Seeds should be packaged in ready-to-trade individual packs; So as to cut down on sorting bulk seeds. You can add up to 20 bonus packs that are ones that you are basically giving away (please include a sticky note with "Bonus" on them.) and that you don't expect something in return.
All types of plant seeds (flowers, vegetables, herbs, shrubs) are welcome. However, if you only want vegetable seeds or only want flower seeds, or whatever, please let me know. I will do the best I can to fullfill that request based on what is sent in. You may not receive a one for one swap if you request say all vegetable and there is a limited amount. I will email you if this should happen. That being said, depending on what comes in, you may well get more than several packs back.
You are welcome to send in as many as you like - surplus will be distributed as I see fit.
If there is alot left I will do a "leftover" pick email at end of swap. and finally, send off what's left to Bakemom's Newbie Project or Wintersown.org.

I will be contacting everyone around January 3rd, and will be looking for seeds to be sent to me by January 12th, so I can redistribute them, I plan to have the seeds in the mail back to you for an early February arrival date.
Please only send seeds that were harvested or purchased in 2013 or up to this year. Please let me know if you are willing to accept seeds from previous years before 2013.
You will need to send your seeds to me in a bubble mailer envelope. No boxes. Include a self-addressed label with your seeds. Keep the labels fairly small so I can try to re-use the bubble mailer you send when I return seeds to you and send a mailer that is sufficiently large. Inside the mailer include a listing of the seeds you have sent, a copy of your theme garden list and seed wishes, and your GW name.
Most importantly: Please include postage to equal the amount of postage or more it costs you to send your package.

Note to Newbies: if you have only few packs, still play! If you have NO seeds to trade, go buy 2 or 3 packs and still play! Many "vets" send in extras to swaps to be given away. I cannot guess how many seeds you will receive than you send in, but I know I have some, and I bet others do, too.

Some themes I have seen or heard of over the years and there is lots more:

Gemstones - (topaz, opal, quartz, diamond, emerald, ruby, etc.)

Classical Herb - (Italian Basil Pesto, Lavender, Mint, Rosemary)

Vegetable - (tomato, pepper, cucumber)

Numbers Garden (Four O'Clocks, Five Spot)

Foliage that is "Anything But Green" (Gray, brown, or purple foliage)

Witch's Garden, (Mandrake, Rowan, Aconitum vulparia, Wolfsbane)
Fairytale garden (fairy, pixie, dwarf, gnome, dragon, wizard, treasure, or miniature in the name)

I love reading everyone's ideas. I will be gathering seeds and hunting through my seed box to find things that everyone will like! So let's get creative!!

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!
Tammy (mcc371)

P.S. I will go ahead and start with my theme:

My Theme Gardens:
Gemstone garden- anything with names or colors associated with a Gemstone.
Vegetable Garden- anything from tomatos,peppers, corn, squash, or cucumbers.
Lily Garden- any varieties of Lilies

Comments (147)

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tammy,

Wow, that is greatly organized!! I might have to steal your idea and have a notebook just for swaps I host!! Also, for the extra seeds, I don't mind either way but the idea of an actual box going around like old swaps did would be exciting!
    ~Michael :)

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Tammy -- As Michael said, the offer of the extra seeds is very generous. I'd be happy to be able to pick a pack or two from your extra seeds. I think letting people choose from a list might be a better option. I know that the reason why there aren't many swaps that let you pick from the bag and then send it on, is because people would keep the entire contents and never send it. However, I'm happy with whichever way you'd like to do it.

• Related Discussions

NEW: Theme Garden Seed Swap

Q

Comments (98)
    Plantaholics, I'm sorry this didn't turn out the way you had planned. Maybe drippy will be back to do this swap the same way as in the past next time. If you change your mind, we will be happy to have you join in. I have a questionnaire and instruction sheet ready for the participants. I am going to start to e-mail them this evening but not all will get mailed out today. I will continue with them through the weekend, but if you don't have them by Monday (or can't read what is sent - I am sending them as a Word document), get in touch with me. Okay? Once you get everything, follow the instructions and you can start to send seeds whenever you are ready. Hope we all have lots of fun. The nicest people seem to participate in this swap!!! Jeanne
    ...See More

NEW: New 2011 New Years Day Fresh Seed Swap

Q

Comments (84)
    Seeds were waiting when I got home. I great selection and a couple things that I have been really really wanting. Thanks to all who sent seeds and especially to Willy for doing such a great job, AGAIN. BB
    ...See More

Jan. 9 last call New Year's Theme Swap

Q

Comments (0)
    Go to Round Robin and find New Year's Theme Swap. Sign up by Jan. 9--today. Calling anybody who has some seeds to swap! If you don't have any some stores are putting theirs out. Buy some and trade for other seeds. You get seeds and it's lots of fun!
    ...See More

2018 New Year THEME Swap

Q

Comments (282)
    Sorry I didn't get on here right away. I just started a new job on Monday (in a garden center!!) and when I got home Monday evening my seeds were waiting for me. I got to agree with those that said this was the best theme swap yet! My envelope was bulging! I got so many nice seeds and can't wait to start planting them all. I've already planted a couple, lol. I was blown away by the selection of herbs, I believe I got one of just about every herb there is, to the point that while I originally just planned on tucking them in here and there, I've now decided to do a raised bed garden just for herbs! Thanks to everyone that sent seeds, and especially to Tammy for hosting. It was a great swap!
    ...See More
  • mcc371
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Michael for the compliment. You are welcome to use any of my ideas.

Yes Erica I thought about that too that is why if we send a box it would be to only those that participated would be allowed but you are correct they may decide they want them all....

I am really leaning toward a list as I think that will be the fairest way to go.
    Thanks for the input.

Tammy

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

Erica, you are so right and that's what is sad!!! We have to do more swaps tho where its like that. You put in packets, you take some out and pass it on! I did the seed train last year and that was super fun! (At least let's do it with members that we know and trust. One of us should host one in the future!)

Tammy, can't wait to see the list! I'm sure anything I get will be much appreciated it tho! I keep wanting my gardens to be more filled in with flowers spilling over each other!( that's the dream anyways!)
    ~michael
    heavenlyfarm

P.S. I might have bought more seeds at Kmart this evening LOL I couldn't resist looking at gardening stuff!

• cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)
    9 years ago

I think the list idea might work better. It would save postage, instead of shipping from person to person.

• mcc371
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I had my daughter go in and add all the seed packs that were in my tub to my seed trade list. They are in no particular order- Sorry! but due to time and she is much faster at typing than me I wanted to get this up as soon as possible. Ok so here is what to do.

Only participants in the New Year's Theme Swap may request up to 5 different packs of seed (seed count will vary as it depends on how much is in pack).

These packs will be your Bonus for being in swap.

I will let you know if seed packs you request are already in your return pack.

Thanks so much for letting me host this swap it has been fun!

Have a beautiful day!
    Tammy

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Thanks, daughter! Tammy, I emailed my choices. Mary

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Hi Tammy,

I would love to try

nicotiana baby bella
    snapdragon night and day
    wishbone flower deep blue
    hardy hibiscus-peppermint schnapps

If they are already spoken for, It's fine!

Thank you!

Lisa

• mcc371
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mary and Lisa! I will get them added to your return package.

Tammy

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Tammy, thank you for the offer of the bonus seeds. I'd like these if they are available:

Amaranthus autumns touch
    Josephs Coat Amaranth
    Pansy Colossus Neon Violet
    Violet Sorbet Delft Blue
    Violet Sorbet Midnight Glow

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 22:27

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

Tammy, thank you for the offer! Here is my 5 picks, if they are available still!

Chabaud Giant Carnation Mixed Colors
    Candytuft Fairy mixed colors
    Dianthus Caryophyllus king of Black
    Summer Pastels Yarrow
    Rosita Eggplant

Thank you so much!!!
    ~Michael
    heavenlyfarm :)

• mcc371
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, Thanks Erica and Michael!

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Thank you!

• dawn1972
    9 years ago

Tammy did you get my 5 choices of seeds? Please let me know!
    Dawn

• mcc371
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did get your email Dawn. Thanks! I will get those added.

Tammy

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

I'm thinking a lot about zinnias this year, so I would love to have:

Zinnia Green Envy
    Zinnia Red Spider
    Zinnia Queen Red Lime
    Mallow Vulcan
    Oriental Poppy Pizzicato

Thank you so much!

9 years ago

Peppermint Candy Columbine
    McKana's Columbine Giants Mixed Colors
    Ladybug Tomato
    Zinnia envy (green)
    Pizzicato Oriental Poppy
    thank you

• mcc371
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Cinnie0 and Midwestfarmwife.

9 years ago

cant wait excited to get my seeds!

This post was edited by cinnie0 on Sat, Feb 7, 15 at 18:57

• abarbie4me2
    9 years ago

here are my pick if still available

white swan coneflower
    black eyed susan
    luna red hibiscus
    mckana's columbine mix
    peppermint candy columbine

• mcc371
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I will get them added abarbie4me2. I kept the ones I hadn't heard from over the weekend to wait on your selections. Everyone else is in the mail and the rest will go tomorrow.

Have a beautiful day!
    Tammy

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Tammy -- Thank you so much for all your hard work! I'm super excited.

• mcc371
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Erica!! It has been fun and exciting too!

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

Thank you Tammy!!! I can't wait for these to come :)

~michael

• mcc371
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Michael!

All packages have been mailed. You should receive a package from Tammy McClearen, Seminole, Texas in the next few days. Keep me posted as you receive them. Thanks!

Not sure I like these changes! Can't see peoples zones, trade list, or even their birthdays.

Tammy

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    9 years ago

Yippee! I will be waiting by the mailbox. Thanks Tammy for doing this.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

^^^^ That is my friend, Dawn1972, right?

Tammy, I'll post when package arrives. Mary E.

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    9 years ago

Yes Mary that is dawn1972. I have tried changing it but it says it is already in use so I added "_" the line to the end of it and it still won't change. Wow! I really hate this.

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    9 years ago

Tonya Brewer Denton is dawn1972 until I figure out how to change it.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    9 years ago

Here you go Tonya...your user name is, or can be different than screen name.

See this link to show as dawn1972

Sue

Can I keep the same username?

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

I changed my last name to "zone 9b," in order to get my zone posted.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Hmm. Looks like you can't edit posts anymore. Anyhow, Dawn, change your first name to "dawn1972" and your last name to "zone X."

• cghpnd
    9 years ago

I cant wait to receive the package! I bet it will be amazing! Thanks for all the hard work Tammy! Thanks to everyone who has participated! :)

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Can't edit posts? uh oh. Mary E.

• mcc371
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So glad you received the swap pack Erica. It was lots of fun. I know what you mean by the word Research.. Wow never knew so many varieties existed.

Is the rate and review forum still here? I would like to leave a post for everyone who participated too.

Thanks!

Tammy

Ps I will be off my computer tomorrow as I am having a 3 hr dental procedure done. Three teeth removed ( wisdom) so I will be checking in Friday at some point.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Oh, Tammy, that does not sound like fun! The blizzard snow has slowed down mail delivery this week, last night it was delivered after 7:15pm. Today it came at 5pm, so Tammy just so you know it arrived safe. Mary E.

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

My seeds came today - yahoo! Thank you so much to everyone who sent seeds for me and to Tammy for all her work. Getting that package was the bright spot in my day. I have a few to look up for germination hints. i want to surround myself this summer with all the beautiful flowers and share all the great veggies with family and friends.

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    9 years ago

Thanks Sue:-)

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

Tammy, my package arrived yesterday and yay!!!!!! After a long day at work and a long nap, I found so many good seeds had come!! I am most excited to try the painted daisy seeds I got! Again, in my infinite wisdom, I thought it was an annual for some reason but after researching, I guess not lol and they look so neat! (plus I'm a sucker for anything that has different foliage, esp fern foliage!) ALL great seeds and I'm excited to grow these next year!! Thanks to everyone who participated and gave me some good seeds and thank you Tammy, you did a great job! :)

~michael

• abarbie4me2
    9 years ago

Got mine after a long day at work yesterday. Can't wait to start researching tonight. Thanks for letting me participate in my first RoundRobbin! And thanks for all the different seeds and hard work that went into making this a success! Got Spring Fever now.

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    9 years ago

Tammy, I received my package today. Thanks for all.

dawn1972

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Tammy, thank you for all your organizing and hard work. My package included wonderful choices by several participants, the bonus seeds and the packs of seeds I won in the games.It is nine degrees here, but this package gives me that winter sowing itch. Mary E.

9 years ago

Got my package the other day. Thanks for all. I cant wait to start sowing seeds. Tammy thank you for hosting this swap. You did a wonderful job.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

I haven't gotten my package yet, Ill post as soon as it arrives....Lisa

• mcc371
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Lisa for letting me know. Keep me posted.

Tammy

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Hi Tammy, I got my package! It was actually sitting in my husbands truck when I posted that it hadn't come. He should know by now not to hold out on a bubble envelope! He said he forgot.

I'm so happy for the 4 peony seeds! I have them soaking and will pot them up as soon as they sprout. The others that you sent were an added bonus! I have already potted up a few of them.

Thank you for hosting, it was great!

Lisa

• mcc371
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa,

I am glad you got it, I was going to check the tracking if you didn't get it today. Those peony seeds I got from my sister she grows them and I have tried before with

no success :((

Hopefully yours will grow and be beautiful I always envy my sisters yard so much prettier than mine..LOL!

I think everyone has received their package if I counted right. Thank you all for a great swap!

CGHPND- I thought I saw an email that you received yours but its not posted here on forum so I wanted to double check and make sure I was correct. I will also email you too.

I am thinking of still doing a round robin box swap just haven't got all the details wrote down yet. So we shall see in the next few days if I have the time to do it.

Thanks again,

Tammy

• mcc371
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Received an email from Cghpnd today stating package was received. Can't get on forum as account is messed up with Houzz but wanted me to thank everyone that sent seeds for them. Hopefully soon the account can get straightened out and cghpnd will be back with us.

Tammy

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Tammy, stay in touch. Mary E.