SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hollyhockdoll

skippy vs bog filter?

hollyhockdoll
16 years ago

So I've got the container that I'll be using for my bio filter in place, but I can't decide if I want a skippy-type filter (w/ scrubbies) or a bog-type filter with gravel. I plan on putting tons of filtering plants in there, and I can't figure out how I would plant them in a skippy, as it doesn't seem to me they would be very good filters if left in pots. With a bog filter, you plant them directly in the gravel, so the roots can do their job. Am I right in thinking that the filtration in a skippy is more from the bacteria in the media and less from the plants?

On the other hand, it makes me nervous to load up the container with gravel(container is 4' round by 2' deep)- if the filter ever needs to be cleaned, that would be a big pain in the behind, whereas the skippy would be easy to break down and rinse out.

I've considered a "hybrid" system; using scrubbies on the bottom layer, and finding a way to put a gravel layer on top - maybe 12" of scrubbies and then 8-12" of gravel. Then I could plant directly in the gravel, but still have the bacteria growing below. Has anyone done something similar?

Sorry for the long-ish post, but the more I think about it, the more confused I get, and I could use some ideas. And now I'm down to crunch time; the weather is warming up and I've GOT to get the filter running ASAP!

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Jill

Comments (16)