SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mawkin

another filtering question

mawkin
14 years ago

I've been studying the various home-made filter designs, and one thing stands out (to me). There is no real attempt made to make sure ALL the water passes THROUGH the filter media. IOW, the media is, in the case of the Skippy filter, loosely packed. Presumably, the water passes slowly enough to allow the microbes to attach to the media, and not so fast that they get washed away. But the water certainly flows AROUND the media, as opposed to THROUGH it.

So...

I have a 25' meandering stream which leads into one end of a heavily planted 6'x10' bog. The water flows through the bog and out the other end, where there is a pond. The stream has several areas in which water pools to about 12 inches deep. I haven't added a filter yet, but this is already extremely effective in clearing particulates (I made no attempt to wash rocks or gravel while building, and the pond was clear within 24 hours).

I'm wondering why I can't simply add media to the stream and bog, thus creating lots of surface area, and, as far as I can tell, do exactly what a skippy filter is doing? I was thinking that I could simply place scrubby pads in strategic locations, where they would remain in place, and so that the water flows across them. I could easily hide them with plants in the visible areas. One area, in particular, is about 1'wide x5'long x1' deep, and could be filled completely with media.

Is there something I'm not considering? If I'm already getting excellent particle filtering, just by virtue of the stream and bog, then isn't the main issue creating enough surface area for microbes? Can't it just be anywhere that supports this growth?

Thanks.

Comments (10)