SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Pruning Hybrid Musks during a winter warm spell

melissa_thefarm
10 years ago

I've been oh so happily pruning my roses lately, enjoying the mild temperatures and absence of precipitation. Was down in the shade garden where my happiest Hybrid Musks grow and did them yesterday.
Last year we had snow on the ground for so much of the winter that I never did get around to pruning most of my roses, including the HMs, and also I have ongoing doubts about how to prune them, though I think that probably they need significant renewal by cutting out old canes on a regular basis. I first heard this here on the forum and my experience supports the idea. Right now I have several formerly lovely Hybrid Musks and I hope some drastic pruning this winter can bring them back to life.
The problem is that our weather lately has been springlike, almost warm and with some sun, and these roses are putting out new growth. I'm afraid that pruning them now will stimulate them to put forth new canes which will then get frozen back in the frosts that sooner or later are going to arrive. Well...I made my choice. Roses that had only old canes and evidently needed a drastic renewal, I cut away some of the old canes, hoping to stimulate growth. Roses that were vigorous, with young canes, I cut dead growth and some of the oldest canes, then lightly pruned the young vigorous growth, leaving a more vigorous pruning for the end of winter. And now I cross my fingers and wait. For a renaissance, because these roses have been glorious in the past and I want to see them that way again.
By the way, has anyone ever tried to grow 'Vanity' climbing through shrubs? I have a pyracantha hedge behind my plant and it shows a tendency to want to scramble up the hedge. 'Francesca' also shows climbing tendencies when it has support.
Melissa

Comment (1)