SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loma_ponder

Mike_il / Surfhead - Did I under-estimate head loss?

loma_ponder
17 years ago

Mike_il / Surfhead,

I recently purchased and returned for service a Dolphin ES-3500 pump (its shaft seem to be jammed and I wasn't going to screw up its warranty) So I sent off an email to AZPONDS and included this question:

"...Looking at my pond requirements, I pretty sure I have under-estimated my pump needs in regards to the head pressure. The pump will draw from my skimmer and goes to a 55-gallon barrel filter. Here is the set-up as of today:

35 feet of 2" pipe

(5) 90 degree elbows

(1) 45 degree elbow

5 feet of vertical lift (2 feet up in pipe, then three feet in filter to outflow)...."

Here are the particulars on the pump:

Flow Rate with 2" PVC 600 - 3400 G.P.H.

H.P. 1/15 HP

MAX Head 10 ft.

Motor Emerson

The filter that the pump will be feeding is located at right end of wall. Also notice the outflow to the right of the wall. Could be where I add another if vertical lift is too much.

{{gwi:189901}}

What do you guys think? Did I way under-estimate my head pressure needs? I think they (Dolphin Pumps) will send the pump back to me fixed. And if your guys comments/predictions sound like "Boy, did you ever !", I will scrap the filter connection and just go with a modify outflow (just before vertical lift).

Thank you in advance for your suggestions,

LP

Comments (11)