SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amldaley_gw

New phal leaves lead to wilt & rot of old leaves?

amldaley
16 years ago

Hello - After the expert advice on how to help my Vanda, I knew I had to come back here to ask about my Phals. I have several large phals (standard moth shape, white and white/pink). I have had these for 14+ months. I have had other phals previously with moderate to good success following just the most basic guidelines and procedures.

The phals I have a question about were purchased as mature plants, in bloom. Bloomed for several months, then went through trauma (stored in a garage for a while during a move). I repotted last year, they bounced back and produced MASSES of blooms this year. The growth has been tremendous. They have been in the same East/Southeast facing windows all summer. They have been watered normally.

Now, all of the sudden, I have two plants with new leaves coming out. But the oldest leaves on one plant went leathery, then yellow then mushy very quickly (within a week). I adjusted its position in the window, made sure it wasn't in a draft etc. I watered as normal. Mush has been arrested but leaves are fully yellowing now.

On the other plant with a two new leaves (more advanced in growth), literally within about 3 days; one large, mature leaf has become limp and watery and mushy and darkened over about 60% of the leaf. I lifted it and water dripped from it.

Is this bacteria or fungus? These plants are 10+ feet apart? Is it possible that sunburn from the autumn sun being lower in the sky caused this? Should I cut and sterilize the remaining healthy leaf portion? Why do you think this is happening to two seperate plants within a week or two? There has been no cross-contamination of tools or anything.

It is almost time for these to be re-potted - should I just go ahead and do that now? Should I fertilize or will it be too much for them right now? (I have been using Dynamite 13-13-13 for the past three fertilization cycles).

I can't believe I have kept these plants alive and happy for so long and now, all of the sudden, they seem to all be unhappy!!!!???

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022