SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindyb_gw

Mastectomy on Friday

17 years ago

Just a quick update on my breast cancer. I'm schedeuled for a bilateral mastectomy on Friday at 1:30PM. I'm busy at work trying to wrap things up for my extended absence. I've been told to plan on being out six weeks. Prognosis is very good. We're having the sentinel node procedure done on both sides, something that should have been done with my second surgery. Grrrrrrrr. My surgeon and oncologist don't expect to find any cancer in the lymph nodes but I want to know for sure. I might have some microinvasion in the breasts themselves. If that is the case I'll need to go through radiation. If there's no microinvasion then I'm cured. Keep good thoughts for me in that department.

I want to thank everyone again who responded to my first posting about this. Your good wishes and lovely photos have meant a lot to me and helped sustain me through this.

I don't know when I'll be up to getting on the computer after the surgery but I'll let you know how it turns out when I can.

Linda

Comments (101)

• 17 years ago

Roselvr, what's a PICC line? The only foreign object I currently have is the port that was inserted on Friday. It's under the skin and is connected to a vein near my heart.

• 17 years ago

That was the term the hospital used when doing that to my dad. His was up on his shoulders, then they ended up putting it down by the muscle in his arm - between the shoulder & elbow

• Related Discussions

It has been quite a spring and summer.

Q

Comments (15)
    Thank you so much for the hugs and thoughts. Still working on getting on with my life. Seems like everyone is moving on but me. When our daughter in law passed away in 2004 I had the book 'Don't Take My Grief Away'. This is what I still feel like 'Don't Take My Grief Away'! I gave the book away, shouldnt have because I never read it. May have to look into getting another one.... I do know that this shall pass. Hoping when the estate is finally settled things will be easier for me. Just everything I do reminds me of mom, as we were best friends. Visted with my sister today and told her that a few of you knew people who had the abdominal flap surgery. She is going to be thinking about if she needs to get in touch with your friends. Seems she wants to know about but then again at the same time she doesnt want to know what's ahead. Kim had a very bad day yesterday. She was telling me she was Pis.ed at the world. Can understand how she would have those days. She still has the drain tubes in, and that is a big reminder to her what is going on. Hopefully she will get the tubes out soon. In the mean time, that is what I am asking prayers for is the removal of the tubes. Thanks again for all your prayers, good thoughts and hugs!
    ...See More

I'm in a strange waiting game

Q

Comments (64)
    I don't think there is anything wrong with searching for (credible) info on the net. After my mom's cancer diagnosis, researching treatments, even other hospitals that offered treatments, etc. was a valuable tool for us. And now in my MIL's case, I have read up a good bit on her lymphoma. I have gone to most of her dr's appts with her and researching has helped me to know what to ask the doctors. It can also be very helpful if you are looking for clinical trials, etc. My point is that is can be dangerous to diagnosis and/or treat yourself. I can see alot of unnecessary alarm, worrying, etc. if you researched symptoms and thought you had a serious, even life-threatening problem. I'm sure seeing your doctor must have brought some relief. And she directed you in what to do about the knots. Hopefully that is the worst of it. Sounds like you needed to see her anyway - with the edema. If I were in your shoes I would be trying to learn about that and what causes it, as I don't know much about it. Hopefully she will get to the root of the problem. tina
    ...See More

too sad to mosaic...

Q

Comments (34)
    Geez, I haven't been here in a while....thanks to all of you for your kindness. My update: I finished chemo early, on June 2nd. We had to stop because of side effects. I am slowly getting my strength back, but still very tired, and achy as heck. I feel like I aged 30 years. But all of that should fade over the next few months. I am still on blood thinners, so handling sharp things does make me nervous, lol. That being said, I did pull out my wet saw this week, and started working on my daughter's table (I posted about this on the other side). It felt good to do something 'normal'. It was a great distraction from worrying, too. I appreciate, again, everyone's well wishes. I don't know what may happen in the future, but I guess I need to live in the moment, and not spend my time worrying about the future. Easier said than done, but I'm trying. I had a very rare, aggressive type of cancer (less than 1% of all breast cancers are this type), so recurrence is a big possibility....I could drive myself crazy thinking about it, so I need to do something to distract myself...and mosaicing is perfect! It's also fun and creative and I'm glad to be back. Hope everyone is doing well, and I wish you all good health. Judy
    ...See More

Daughter With Cancer.

Q

Comments (21)
    Sending good wishers to your daughter and prayers for a speedy recovery...know that Our daughter is two years out from her surgery and is doing well so I hope your daughter does just as well...it is a life altering experience ...our daughter recently had an issue going on with her husband and he was upset about something and he couldn't understand why she wasn't upset and she looked at him and said...listen...I had both of my breast cut off and you expect me to be upset about something so trivial...I hope your daughter has the new outlook on life that our Suzanne has..it's actually made her a new and even more wonderful person...
    ...See More
  • 17 years ago

PICC (or PIC line for short) stands for peripheral intravenous central catheter. It needs to be connected to the large vein in the body so that IV (intravenous) feeding of chemical, etc...can be effectively distributed to all blood vessels and capillaries within the body. PIC line can be connected near the heart area on the chest to the superior vena cava (one of the largest veins that take blood into the heart). This connected port is quite short and may not require any tubing. On the other hand, if PIC is inserted into a vein at the arm, then a flexible tube will be threaded into a larger vein such as superior vena cava. This second method will need X-ray to make sure it is properly placed and routed. A nurse will instruct you how to keep the port clean and make sure it works properly. Any signs of infection/inflammation/fever should be reported promptly.

• 17 years ago

Hi, Linda!--just checking to see how you are doing--
    I use the flower forums and galleries to cheer me up too--keeping you in my thoughts-

pat

• 17 years ago

Linda, you are bound to be scared before your first chemo! Mom reacted differently depending on the drug, but she mostly just got quite tired around the treatment, some nausea. We worked out vacatons, etc on her week off, or as far from the day as possible. I hope yours is less icky than you imagine! You'll do great and I bet you feel a little better knowing generally what to expect after this week. You can do it!

• 17 years ago

Linda, I am praying for your complete recovery!
    [IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/Joan52/IMG_2150.jpg[/IMG]

• 17 years ago

Well, we'll find out real soon how I respond to the chemo. My first session is scheduled for this Thursday. don't know what time yet. My oncologist's office will call me today with the details. Staff had pretty much all left for the day by the time my appointment wrapped up so there wasn't anyone there to do the scheduling.

PET scan and CT scan are tomorrow morning. I'll know by the end of the day if I'm stage III or IV. It's been quite a shock going from stage 0, non-invasive, to potentially stage IV. Thank God for my support system, which includes all of you. I couldn't get through this alone. There will be more tears but there will also be lots of laughter. I laughed with a friend and fellow breast cancer survivor over the water balloon effect under my arms. Only someone who has gone through a mastectomy would understand. Between the swelling and the numbness if feels like I'm holding water ballons under my arms. After eight years my friend still has areas that are numb. Its a really weird sensation to scratch an itch and not be able to feel it.

Thanks for caring, for listening, and for all your good wishes.

I'm off to play Scrabble with my SIL.

Linda

• 17 years ago

Linda I only know you from this forum but reading your posts sure show that you are a positive kinda gal, you are a trooper for sure, keep up the good work and before you know it this will all be behind you and you will be well again.

Do you play scrabble on-line? I play on the Pixie Pit, send me an e-mail if you are looking for another game, would love to play more.

Valerie

• 17 years ago

Linda, I hope you are doing fine after chemo. You're still in my prayers. Rest up and take care (hug)

• 17 years ago

Hi Linda...I was thinking about you this morning and wondering how you are doing. I hope your treatment is going well (((((hugs)))))

• 17 years ago

Hi, Linda,
    I'm joining the group hoping and praying for the best for you (and maybe a whole bunch more big words for high Scrabble word scores.)
    Find something beautiful each day. Even if it's lichens on a tree limb. And let Jon know that he is so special.
    Hugs,
    Ann

• 17 years ago

I kept meaning to get back here sooner but have been feeling so puny. No energy and moderate nausea since Monday. We got good news on the PET/CT and CT scans. No further spread of the cancer beyond the lymph nodes. Who would have thought I'd be excited about being diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. Seven more chemo treatments to get through. I can do this.

• 17 years ago

Of course you can do this. You have been through so much already and handled it all with grace and courage. I'm thrilled to hear that the cancer hasn't spread. It's good news, indeed. Still thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

{{gwi:208399}}

Carol

• 17 years ago

Yeah! about the confinement of it! Boo! you feel puny but you may acclimate to the treatments like Mom did.

We had so many years doing happy-happy-no-spread-dances... never talked much about stages [hers was the worst from diagnosis] but a lot of 'well can you still go to the movies?' and c'est la vie. Who knew we'd have so many years [big grin]? Listen to the docs but don't etch any bad news in stone... pencil it in, we always said. Nobody knows what their tomorrow will be anyway, we tried to think.

You can do it!! Seven to go? Not undoable. Make sure to ask to be treated like a queen while you're puny, lol!

• 17 years ago

Thanks for checking in Linda, been watching this thread for a response from you, hoping and praying for you.

I am so happy you have something to be thankful for today, hope you are able to enjoy your meal whatever it is.

Happy Thanksgiving.

valerie

• 17 years ago

Let me 1st wish you a happy Thanksgiving. How wonderful that you're here to enjoy the holiday. With my dad, he set little goals, Thanksgiving was one, Christmas was another. To have him here for both last year gave me a feeling of joy that I don't think I'm able to fully convey. I don't doubt that you're family feels the same. I know you're feeling yucky, but try to find the good in the day; family, love, being together.

Quote I kept meaning to get back here sooner but have been feeling so puny. No energy and moderate nausea since Monday. We got good news on the PET/CT and CT scans. No further spread of the cancer beyond the lymph nodes. Who would have thought I'd be excited about being diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. Seven more chemo treatments to get through. I can do this. End/Quote

Linda, no one really expected you to come back and post until you were up to it; altho I'm glad to see you were up to using the computer. What you're going through is normal. My dad suffered nausia, but not many times, his biggest side effect was diarrhea & stomach ache with bloating. Be sure to call your doc, have them give you something for the nausia. From what I remember, they would rather have you take something because the nausia could lead to other problems like dehydration, which could land you in the hospital.

• 17 years ago

You will get through it. I know so many long-term survivors. I agree with roselvr that it is normal to feel lousy from the treatments. You will bounce back.

I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving and a Speedy Recovery!

• 17 years ago

Coming here and hearing from all of you is one of the bright spots in my day. Thanks for caring.

So far the nausea hasn't had any affect on my appetite. Sure did enjoy our Thanksgiving feast yesterday. I am experiencing bloating which is depressing. It's sad when you have to wear your husbands pants because you can't button any of your own. Minor breakdown yesterday over this. I'm going shopping on Tuesday while I'm in town for a doctor's appointment. Pull-up pants, yup. That's the way to go.

Carol, is that Colonial White in your picture? I love that rose. Unfortunately, I paired mine with clematis Prince Charles which is much too pale to give a good contrast. Sure is a prolific bloomer though. I had blooms on PC throughout the summer.

My niece just arrived with my three month old great-nephew. Happy, happy. Talk to you more later.

Linda

• 17 years ago

Linda, I am glad to know you were able to enjoy thanksgiving. My bloating isn't from chemo....I just ate too much! I know you can make it through the treatments and then you will have the spring to get your strength back. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Love
    Kathy

• 17 years ago

Oh, I can't believe it took an illness to tune you in to pull on pants! I garden in them all summer. Dark colors of course :)

I hope the weather will let you shop tomorrow and not cut your day short; I just measured the snow on my deck railing and it's 4", still snowing. Dress warmly!

• 17 years ago

I dont usually post on conversations -no time -but I have to say I really feel for you and what you are going through. Please take care of yourself. Remember everything is important-tell your doctor every little thing-it is the only time in your life anyone will really care about your sniffles and itches and so on. Chemo slows your healing so be vigilant. Keep contact with childern to a minimum-adorable as they are they get everything and can give it to you. Keep washing your hands. Do not let well meaning friends pressure you into doing things you dont feel up to. Rest-lots of rest. Do try to get moderate exercise. I ate Yogurt alot-the real kind. Ask your doctor. as you get into the treatments your reactions can vary- Tell them if something changes. I know the gut churning feeling of waiting for tests and hoping for the best and all that. It is hard but it is what you have. Good luck and god bless

Patricia -diagnosed in 1989(age 37) with stage 3 Ovarian cancer-official chance of survival 2-5%-yes you can survive!

• 17 years ago

Linda, sounds like your attitude is pretty good. Pull on pants are good too. Just wanted you to know you're in my thoughts.

Carla

• 17 years ago

Linda--things have been wild and wooly in my neck of the woods. Long post about it when I have the time...

I hope you are feeling better. Nausea is awful.

Perhaps this will help? Rose plonk from mid-October...
    {{gwi:208401}}

(((((((((((((((((((((Linda)))))))))))))))))))))

melanie

• 17 years ago

Linda, my chiropractor's wife had Hodgkins, maybe non lymphoma (sp), I'm not sure which but she had to have chemo. They researched and found some special diet that is supposed to help. I think part of the theory is to sort of starve the cells. If you want me to find out more, I will be glad to.
    Melanie's picture is gorgeous isn't it.

Carla

• 17 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm back into my better days. Chemo again next Thursday. Can't believe I'm already half way through the first series. I have four sessions of AC, maybe a break, then four sessions of taxol. The effects of chemo aren't just cumulative. They're exponential. Honest! The nausea didn't hit me until Tuesday. It's still lingering and annoying me. It isn't to the point where I think I"ll be sick but it certainly puts a crimp in how you feel.

Lost my hair earlier in the week. Jon took me to HairMasters and had them shave it all off. Then he got in the chair and had his shaved off. I think he looks better bald than I do. He thinks he looks like Bruce Willis but I think Telly Savalas is more like it. LOL!

I don't know where the days go. I just don't seem to get much done most days. It isn't as though I'm sitting in my chair all day either. And I'm here to tell you chemo brain is a real phenomenon. At least now I have an excuse for not remembering things.

Thanks for all your support. It really helps.

((((((((((Garden Web friends))))))))))

Linda

• 17 years ago

Linda, losing my hair was the worst thing I went through, I think. It was what I dreaded the most...I had long, long naturally curly hair. I won't bore you with the details, but I went into the shower with a full head of hair and came out with a bald head!!!! It was kinda funny. Actually, once I was bald it wasn't so bad. I must say, I did hate the wig though. I swore if I ever did chemo again I was going bald and I didn't care what anyone thought.

I took to ripping off my wig as soon as I would get in the car. My roommate used to die laughing watching the other drivers as I whipped off my hair! At home I mostly went bald or wore a bandana. When I realized we were going to have to move from our house, I started going bald outside too! I figured I wasn't going to get to date that cute guy next door anyway so I ceased to care :)

But I quickly saw the upside to losing my hair.....there was nothing to shave!!! Showers were an absolute breeze! I loved it. No hair to wash, no hair to shave!

I hope the rest of your chemo and treatment goes great. Pamper yourself as much as you can :) My roommate told me having cancer was NOT a good excuse for not doing dishes, but shhh! she was wrong! It's a really good excuse. :)

Lisa

P.S. I looked really bad with a naked head too. My skull is NOT attractive! I wish I could find the ONE picture I allowed to be taken, I would share it with you!

There's a story about the naked head....I didn't allow too many people to see me without some kind of covering. I was out one night, late, with a friend of mine, and when we got in I just stayed the night at her house. She kicked her four year old out of his bed and let me sleep there. I collapsed and slept. The next morning I was awakened by a screech going down the hall....."Mommy, there's a naked head in my bed!!!!!!" He's now a very grown up 16 year old....I should remind him of that :)

Lisa

• 17 years ago

Any word on diagnosis / results?

When my dad was in the hospital and just starting treatment, I shaved his head, like a close crew cut. I didn't want him to see all of his hair fall out. One day I went to see him and there was hair all over his bed from his body; this went on for maybe a week. Since he had a radical chemo, I don't think he even noticed at that point. His head never really went bald.

There's a lady therapist that never had cancer but lost all of her hair, even her eye lashes. She wears a scarf, and actually looks good. I can't picture her with hair.

• 17 years ago

Hi Lindy,

Sending you thoughts and prayers & hopes for healing.

Alpine bouquet -

{{gwi:208402}}

HUGS,
    Michelle

• 17 years ago

Lisa, thanks for the laugh. I really needed that. I know laughter is the best medicine but I've noticed I just don't laugh very much these days. I've started forcing myself to laugh because once you get started your aren't forcing it anymore. I'm not going the wig route. I think it would drive me nuts. I'm managing just fine with caps and scarves. We're going to a Christmas party on Saturday, Jon's company party. I'm wearing a black scarf with a jaunty red hat. My outfit is black and gray with sequins. I figure the hat will give me just the right amount of Christmas cheer. I expect to be the center of attention with my red hat.

I haven't had any scans since starting chemo other than one for my heart (chemo can affect your heart so they wanted to make sure I was doing well in that area), so I don't know how we're doing. I'll ask my oncologist about it next week when I see him. According to the statistics and history with other breast cancer patients, when we're all through I'll have reduced my chances of a reoccurance to 19%. But that's just numbers and I'm a real person. Who knows what the future holds. I could never have another occurrence or I could be looking at this again in five years. I'll just live each day as it comes. I'm basically very optomistic.

Michelle, I love the lupines. I've never been able to get them to do well here. I don't know why. They certainly grow well doun near Salem at Schriener's Iris Garden.

• 17 years ago

Linda your attitude amazes me, you are a survivor for sure and you will overcome this disease, there is no doubt in my mind.

Thank you for sharing this time in your life with us, perhaps it will also help others who are suffering from cancer.

God Bless you.

Valerie

• 17 years ago

Hi Linda,

I just dropped in to see how you are doing.

You are amazing---------Keep up that sense of humor---I love it that your DH also shaved his head----He also has a great attitude which will help you

Don't worry about stretch pants----I've been wearing them for years---LOL

Here is a little LAFTER for you I hope it helps.

{{gwi:208403}}

thinking of you,

Florence

• 17 years ago

Linda, I am so glad you are keeping an upbeat attitude. I personally think that cancer cells thrive on negativity, so yours should be shrinking just from your optimism :-) I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us informed of how you are doing.
    Love,
    Kathy

• 17 years ago

Rats, I was hoping chemo woud get better but what can you do? Check into the anti-nausea drugs if you haven't. I used to keep 2 or 3 of Mom's pills on hand for hangovers in college, lol!

I'd look so strange bald btw - I have a weird cleft head and scars from stitches from a dog attack. When Mom's hair came out I offered to shave mine but she said never, lol.

Her's grew back thicker and darker, so that was a plus.

Take care! It doesn't sound like very long now to go.

• 17 years ago

Pretty much what happened to my dad, but I don't doubt his chemo was different than yours. Please make sure that you do not spend a lot of time laying down, the lungs easily fill with fluid. My dad was hospitalized Jan 1, and refused to sit up most of the time. I'd have to go there every day to get him to sit up. There wasn't enough hours in my day, once the fluid started, that was it. At this time he went from 65% heart & lungs to under 50%. He was 69 years old and smoked all of his life (3 packs until the last few years) so the deck was stacked against him.

Glad to hear you're up to go to the Christmas party. Visiting with people will take your mind off of things. I'd arranged a surprise lunch for dad exactly a year ago yesterday; I can't tell you how much it did for him to get out.

Keep us posted.

• 17 years ago

Linda--

Sorry your nausea is making your life difficult. RE nekkid heads--I swore if I ever lost all my hair I'd pay a henna artist to come out and "pattern" my head. For a Christmas party I'd do bindi decorations...I've linked a site that will give yousome fun ideas...but one can ususally by them locally.

If your area has any Indian immigrants (as opposed to Native Americans) I bet there is at least one henna artist in your area. Something to think about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Online bindi shop

• 17 years ago

This is supposed to be one of my bad days but so far I'm doing pretty good. I'm a bit shakey but I can live with that. Had chemo on Thursday and the weekend after chemo is usually my worst days. The nausea turned out to be mostly heartburn. We have that under control now so life is much better.

The holiday party was fun, the food incredible. I felt like the belle of the ball in my red hat.

I've been busy getting ready for Christmas. Finally finished the cards this afternoon. Jon will take them to the post office tomorrow. Still need to wrap presents. Thank goodness for the internet! Point, click and your shopping is done.

I probably won't have any more scans until the end of my treatment. I should finish chemo on Feb. 22. After that I have 6 1/2 weeks of radiation. That puts me out to mid-April. Radiation will be every weekday. I understand it makes you real tired. Need I mention that I am REALLY looking forward to summer?

Holiday cheers to all!

Linda

• 17 years ago

I've been thinking of you today-----I'm happy you had a good time at your party..
    I will keep praying for you.

Florence

• 17 years ago

I'm glad your day is going better than expected. :-) What a great image of you at the party, having fun in your red hat. That's inspiring.

I hope you have a great Christmas.

Healing wishes,
    Michelle

• 17 years ago

Merry Christmas! I'm glad the party was fun and that you are feeling relatively well. I hope it's better than you expected. I love the red hat!

Mom only had a bit of radiation... the 'sunburny' feeling freaked her out a little but she didn't mention any other side effects.

Take care and have a great holiday!

• 17 years ago

Thinking of you at Christmas---
    A couple of rose angels.

{{gwi:208404}}

Florence

• 17 years ago

Thinking of you too!

Merry Christmas Lindy!

{{gwi:208405}}

Hugs, Pauline - Vancouver Island.

Florence I love your Christmas tree adorned with angels and roses. It is very pretty.

• 17 years ago

I'm thinking of you this morning too, hoping this holiday season with all its blessings brings you one step closer to being healthy.

And Florence, I agree that's a remarkable tree; you people with your lovely holiday photos just put me to shame. My camera is at least sitting out in the dining room so I will remember to put it on the charger some time today :)

Linda, Merry Christmas....

• 17 years ago

wishing you a bright Christmas and keeping you in my thoughts!

this little Santa's helper flew in to carry my best wishes to you...

{{gwi:208406}}

• 17 years ago

Shadow and Light!
    My thoughts and prayers continue!
    {{gwi:208407}}

• 17 years ago

Thank you for all the wonderful Christmas wishes. We had a fun time Christmas Eve at my sister's house. Christmas was spent just being lazy and doing practically nothing. We watched a lot of movies and had dungeness crab for dinner. It was a good Christmas.

I have my last AC chemo on Thursday. This is the one that's hardest on patients. This will also put me half way through chemo. Yeah!!! I start Taxol treatments (another form of chemo) on Jan. 11. The main side effects of Taxol are lack of energy and numbness in the fingers. At least there's no nausea.

I was able to spend some time in the garden this morning, trimming back the dead growth that I should have trimmed back in October. It felt good to be out there. I even started trimming Abe Darby. Still got a lot to do on him but at least its a start.

Happy New Year to all my Garden Web friends! 2007 can't help but be better than 2006.

Linda

• 17 years ago

Linda, I will echo what some of the others said earlier, you are amazing. Out in the garden, God bless you. I'm glad you had a peaceful Christmas because sometimes that is very difficult to achieve. Happy New Year and may 2007 bring you into recovery and doing great. Hang in there.

Carla

• 17 years ago

Linda-----Keep up the good work-----You have many folks here praying for you and wishing you the best.

Hope 2007 is the best year for you.

florence

• 17 years ago

Linda, I am so glad you got out in your garden. You have done an amazing job....half way through chemo!!!

You do have a lot of folks praying for you and cheering you on!

Deb

• 17 years ago

Happy New Year Linda, may this be your healthiest year to come. Keep up the good work, you are doing very well, I believe attitude is half the battle.

valerie

• 17 years ago

Lindy, saying goodbye to 2006, and hello to 2007, which I'm sure you're ready to do. May 2007 give you the strength you need to continue fighting, and may you eventually hear you're in remission.

Linking to the new post you made just in case....

Here is a link that might be useful: New thread - 1/2 way through chemo and still smiling