SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
embee4488

In Memory of Dad

embee4488
14 years ago

In the 60's, Dad grew orchids. We had a greenhouse and a slathouse (is that even a name?). I guess we had somewhere around 1000 plants at any given time, and to walk into that greenhouse was a sensory explosion! We had a large family, and Dad was the go-to guy for prom and wedding orchids, and loved sharing his flowers with friends and family.

He also grew roses, and my brother and I share his love for gardening. I have just now decided to grow orchids, and ordered about 12 from Kawamotoorchids on Ebay. I tend to be partial to Cattleyas, simply because those are the ones I remember so vividly from my childhood.

Dad sold out his entire stock some time in the late 60's, due to some sort of artificial hybridization technique. For whatever reason, that bothered him greatly.

I am starting out primarily with Cattleyas, but am studying all the different species so I can branch out a bit. I tend to like very dramatic, showy flowers, and am especially attracted to the unusual in color as well as form.

Any advice is appreciated, from books to read, to growing techniques. I remember that Dad primarily used osmunda to repot, but I see there are many new mediums being used. Until I can erect some sort of greenhouse, mine will be indoors. I am reading up right now on lighting and temperature requirements.

Anyway, glad to be here, and looking forward to great success.

Mary

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida