SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Dad and Daylily Connectiuons

shive
13 years ago

This morning, on Fathers' Day, as I walked through my garden, so many of the daylilies reminded me of my own father, who passed away more than six years ago.

MAGNIFICENT DAD was looking truly magnificent - more colorful than its ffo, and with a more ornate edge. Happy Fathers' Day, Dad!

ICE CREAM EMPEROR would be a good title for my dad, as well as this daylily. He was always up for a trip to an ice cream shop. And no matter how many flavors there were, he always ordered vanilla for himself, preferably golden vanilla.

LEXINGTON LACE - This one seemed all about Dad, too. A Kentucky native, he loved to go "down home." He was a lifelong fan of University of Kentucky basketball in Lexington, Ky.

I saw some daylilies with names of some of his favorite expressions.

HOLD YOUR HORSES - That's one I heard a lot when I was young.

FAIR TO MIDDLIN' - When I'd ask him how he was, that was always his reply.

{{gwi:667118}}

LAST SNOWFLAKE made me think of how much fun we had in the snow - whether building snowmen or going sledding.

HALLOWEEN TRICK reminded me of all the times he took me Trick or Treating when I was little

AWESOME CANDY brought back memories of Dad surprising us with candy bars from the drug store.

ELEGANT CANDY had me recalling pretty heart-shaped boxes of candy Dad always got us for Valentines Day.

BLAZING SADDLES symbolized my father's love for TV and movie westerns.

A LTTLE FIRE SCARECROW was what the Wicked Witch of the West said during one of the scarier parts of The Wizard of Oz. I was always glad my Dad was in the room when we got to that part of the move.

HILLBILLY HEART - While I had a Rock-n-Roll heart, my father's was purely hillbilly. On the road in HIS car, it was always country music.

{{gwi:649032}}

DIVINELY BLESSED - I was divinely blessed to have a Dad like him.

I REMEMBER You, Dad!

How quickly the seasons turned and the time passed by.

TURN TURN TURN

To everything - turn, turn, turn

There is a season - turn, turn, turn

And a time for every purpose under heaven

HEAVEN'S DECLARING opened today. Just a little somethin' for Dad and me.

Happy Fathers' Day to all you dads out there!

Debra

Comments (21)