SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettym_grow

Spoke with my family in Lima after yesterday's earthquake

bettym_grow
16 years ago

My husband's brothers live in Lima. I got a call last night saying that one brother and his family were accounted for but they could not communicate with the other ones because all the telephone lines were down.

I finally reached them this morning and everyone is OK! My brother-in-law works in Ica periodically the place that sustained major damage and he said that there was no way anyone could reach it via highway since the roads were cracked and power lines were down.

I was there vacationing w/ my kids 3 years ago by the seaside and one morning as we were making our way down to the beach I heard a terrifying loud roar and everything starting shaking. We all ran helter-skelter out to the streets and it was really frightening because 2 of my kids were already down at the beach and I could not find them!

And if that wasn't scary enough, people running up from the beach were screaming that a tsunami was coming! I finally found them. Afterwards everyone is in shock, nobody says much, we all just stand around starring and waiting for another shock. I did see some humor there though, I saw a guy standing in the middle of the street in his boxer shorts, staring at the sea, and a lady who had been in the middle of coloring her hair was talking to us while the dark stuff dripped down her face.

The thought that strikes me most about this is how surreal it all seems while you are going through it, the shaking beneath your feet, the loud creaking coming from the buildings, the terrifying sound the earth itself makes, like a mighty roar that you cannot truly describe, and all throughout, the sky is blue and the sun is shining, surreal.

I hope and pray there aren't too many casualties today.

Betty

Comments (11)