SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amna_gw

Please help with ID/decision to keep or destroy

amna
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have been getting into gardening somewhat and am trying to fix up my yard that I inherited when we moved into the house. The plans long term are to get rid of grass and 'formal' looking foundation bushes and make a path with mixed beds (annuals and perennials) surrounding it. I did grow a bunch of stuff from seed this year and of course there is a lot of stuff (weeds and intentionally planted material)that is coming up now. I would like to keep on top of the weeding as much as possible, but due to my general lack of knowledge, I don't want to rip things out that I might want to have around.

If you have some time, I would really appreciate it if you could contribute your experience to help me out. My images are at http://picasaweb.google.com/amnasaeedkothe/PlantID2008

My questions are regarding:

(1) Images 1 -4 are increasing closeups of the small plant growing under the portulaca in image1. Does anyone know what this small plant is called? Is it a weed? I think it looks cute right now but I won't like it if it takes over the bed and strangles my seedlings that are nicely growing there. Also in image 4 there is another 'volunteer' small succulent looking plant that someone told me was edible but they didn't know it's name. Is it edible? Should I keep that around? Does anyone here know it's name?

(2)Images 5&6, 7&8 and 9 are 3 different plants that randomly also sprouted up in areas that I removed sod from in order to plant my seedlings. Any help there would be greatly appreciated.

(3) Images 10-12 are of the same plant - seems to be kind of aggressive to me and I'm not sure if I really like it. Earlier there were white shasta daisy blooming amongst these plants and then these yellow flowers came up as the daisies were going out. I like the daisies a lot more than these yellow ones whose name I also don't know. I wouldn't fell terrible about getting rid of them but they do manage to fill in the blank spot from the departure of the daisies.

(4) I think Image 14 is going to be some sort of daisy also? maybe a black eyed susan type? Just has foliage for now and some buds

(5) Images 15-18 belong to the same series. Its the small plant with srrated leaves tryhing to grow in the midst of the clump formed by the yellow flowers I mentioned in (3). Any thoughts on whether or not that might be a keeper?

(6)Image 19 came up next to the campanula I planted a couple of years ago. Can't tell if it belongs to the campanula or if it's a weed

(7)Images 20 - 23 are different shots of the same plant. Same problem - yank or not?

(8) The last image is of malva sylvestris that I grew from seed also. It has been flowering really well but as you can see underneath the 2 flowers on top there are a bunch of seed pods (I think?). I would like this plant to self-seed so I haven't been deadheading but do you thin that will prevent it from flowering more profusely? If I were to dead head, would you recommend that I just snip off the side shoots holding the seed pods to the main stem?

Sorry that this is so long but I have gotten really excellent advice on many garden web forums that has allowed me to come this far. Hopefully someday I will know enough to return the favor.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Best regards,

Amna

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant ID 2008

Comments (5)