SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
j0nd03

Please help me ID the pest destroying my nursery!!!!

j0nd03
10 years ago

About two weeks ago, something came in and nipped off the growth on my native buckthorn, tupelo, sugar, Japanese, and shantung maple seedlings. At the same time the top of a 2nd year oak was decapitated as was a very hard to come by Texas buckeye. During this time there was also a lot of chewing on the trees with trunks about the thickness of a piece of chalk and thicker. I thought it was rabbits at the time.

The Texas buckeye started to push new growth and the pest came back and picked all the growth off again as well as defoliating the bottom 1/3 of my acer skutchii. Again I thought "Damn rabbits..."

The last two nights... something more sinister must be at work. My 3' tall acer circinatum had nearly all of its stems CUT CLEAN OFF!!!! And the Acer skutchii that was approaching 4' tall only has a few leaves remaining. The critter also bit off a branch on a pawpaw. This is turning into a disaster! I am now thinking its a Gd tree rat/squirrel.

Most if not all the damage happens at night. The branches when bitten off are carried off (except for the buckeye - hopefully whatever snipped it got poisoned).

I did find a small rat under the nearby hose real and thought maybe it was pack rat making a nest with all the branches but the cuts are clean with no sign of chewing other than the bark at the base of the trees that has been removed.

It could be a combination of several pests but the one that really concerns me is the one cutting branches off 3' off the ground.

I have had 0.5" diameter branches cut clean off in a similar fashion on my larger maples sited about 40' from the nursery in years past.

{{gwi:385374}}

{{gwi:385376}}

{{gwi:385378}}

The only potential pest I saw. He gave me a rather innocent look when we made eye contact this morning so I spared him. Besides, it would be something to see him jump 3' in the air and snip a twig clean off the tree.

{{gwi:385380}}

Comments (37)