SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

Holy Cow! Heat from HID ballasts

mehitabel
16 years ago

Hi all. This is more in the line of information -- maybe someone can use it-- eg people thinking about HIDs in the living areas. Tip: don't do it! Too HOTTT!

To sum up, the heat from 5 400W ballasts near ceiling level raises the temperature of a 12 x 16' plant room by about 10 degrees F (both day and night) when it's kept in the room.

I have 6 400W HID plant lights in my app 12 x 16' light room. I originally set it up for fairly large tropicals, and I was deathly afraid of disease from closing it in entirely, so it was built with about a 6-8" gap all along the 16' wall to make sure air could circulate freely and there was always intake from outside the room.

Ballasts for 5 of the lights were put into the beams by the guy who built the room. (The 6th light was added later, and we left the ballast in a corner at bench level).

For three years, that gap into the rest of the basement area has been open, even tho I switched to orchids which don't obstruct the passage of air as much as 5' tropicals.

This year, I decided to close the gap up there, and discovered just how much heat those 5 ballasts are actually generating in the top of the room! As soon as the gap was closed, and that heat kept from flowing out, the temperature popped up about 10 degrees at bench level, even higher at the top of pot level.

Night temperatures were also about 10 degrees higher.

I was astonished-- that's a lot of heat. In November, a fairly large in-room wet-safe heater running for 8 hours or so only raises it a few degrees. When it's really cold in January, I have to run the downstairs furnace for about 5 hours just to warm that room 5 degrees.

Since heat isn't necessary down there now, I resorted to opening the door both day and night to moderate the temps to the 70 (night) 80-85 days range.

Trust me, you don't want that kind of heat in your living areas in summer.

Comments (9)