SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aerides

HID Light - distance from plants

aerides
15 years ago

There is a recurring misconception concerning the distance that must be maintained between an HID light of moderate wattage and the top of an orchid plant, lately as represented in the article on light in May's issue of Orchids.

It must be a case of a greenhouse grower extrapolating what would seem to be a reasonable distance for house orchids grown with HID light as their only light source. The article suggests a wattage for a house grower of 400-600 watts and that works for me. But the author goes on to discourage higher wattage fixtures as being inappropriate for non-greenhouse growing. I think there are persons who are or have participated in this forum who use 1,000 watt fixtures in the house. But, that's another story. The author goes on to say that for said 400-600 watts fixtures, a distance of three feet should be maintained, else plants will suffer from being overlit or words to that affect.

I grow under 500 watts, 12-14 hours a day, in a small continually enclosed room with a little fan and portable swamp cooler that manages to keep RH between 45 and 50%, often less. The tops of my standard cattleyas are no more than 10" from the bottom of the fixture. And phals and paphs, maybe 4-5" more and not directly in the center 'cause that's prime catt space. I've never had actual burn on a plant, nor tell-tale bleaching out on any but old lower leaves, and rarely even at that. As a matter of fact, when I finally got over the idea of protective distance and boosted everything, paphs and phals suddenly became much fatter and more floriferous. And my catts are blooming much better now that I'm not being overly merciful. The bulbs are replaced every year and the glass lens is clean, so it's not a matter of my bulbs being dimmed.

Caveats: First, air circulation is probably key, but it's not particularly vigorous, and my orchid growing space is aired every night. Second, most of the time my temps peak at 82 or so and in mid-summer temps start to climb over 85 so I'm not talking about strongly intermediate or cool growers here, which are probably not great candidates for this type of set-up at any rate. In the warmest months I might consider lowering plants a little bit, but only after increasing air movement and observing signs of stress, and even then, certainly nothing near the distance that is often recommended for plants under that brightness of HID light. Three feet?? Third, the glass lenses that are recommended for these fixtures are huge heat deflectors and I wouldn't consider growing without one. And fourth, water and fertilizer have to be a little more optimum. Not "perfect", but regularly and dependably.

I'm not writing this to discredit the author, who I am sure has much more extensive general knowledge than I have about light. But when I first read on another forum that a hobbyist was growing an ascocenda 18" (or was it 24") from his HID light and wondered why it wasn't blooming, and then read this distance recommendation in the article, and in other sources as well, it seemed like a good idea to post about it.

FWIW,

John

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES