SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pete41_gw

You won't believe this fish tale

pete41
16 years ago

but its true

Four different dolphin[same or different ones?] snuck within a dozen feet-thats not a misprint-of me this morning.Snuck is exactly what they did.Instead of rolling or porpoising to take in air they just stuck the tip of their snout out of the water.First time I saw it I thought it was a sea turtle.The first one caught me off guard-I heard one breath and saw it splash across a shallow sand bar-turned and right in front of me it looked like a submerged surf board.I thought he had me and could of but it just watched for a few seconds and slipped away.The third one came in so shallow it was laying on the bottom with back exposed.The last one caught me off guard again and was so close I was able to stroke its back with the tip of my seven foot rod.Did that to a manatee once but never flipper.Didn't quite have the nerve to wade out and touch.

Must be mating season.Biggest pod of river dolphin I have ever seen.Besides their normal feeding pattern they were doing all kinds of crazy things.Racing,rising out of the water,swimming in a small group slapping their tails.One actually threw a fish in the air and caught it.Probably ridiculing me as I only caught one which they could have stolen.Whatever it was a lifetime experience to be part of that.By the way the one who was grounded had skin like an elephant.

Comments (10)