SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blossom_girl

Rescued a NOID... Now what? :)

blossom_girl
16 years ago

I saw a table of small orchids today. I hadn't meant to buy anything... Even though there were so many pretty pinks and yellows and purples and beautiful leaves... I ALMOST walked away... until I saw the clearance tag. Then I had a brief argument with myself--

"Don't buy it, you fool. Look at those limp leaves! One's even wrinkled a bit. It hasn't even got a single bud."

"But it's alive! It's growing! Look, an aerial root! And Imagine how lovely it would be to see it bloom- what a delight to discover what it will look like!"

"Look, there are salt stains on the leaves. It's just going to die."

"Perhaps, but... it's only $5."

"Oh, well... alright then."

And off I went with my new little friend.

It's a phalaenopsis but that's all I know... no tag or anything, just a sticker that said orchid- 4". The spike has been cut so I don't know what the blooms will look like. One leaf is wrikled a bit. And I didn't notice until I was in the car with my prize on my lap that there are some black spots on one of the leaves... well, more like IN the leaf than on it. It I scrape my nail over it I can feel a bump but they're sunk in. Please tell me this isn't a BUG thing!

I washed all the leaves with soapy water then rinsed them and re-potted--the sphag in it's terra cotta pit was bone dry--so once in it's new pot, I watered and fertilized it at 1/2 strength. It's nestled in a nice spot in the window now.

So, here's my list of questions :)

1. Some of the roots look kind of purple in spots. What does that mean?

2. I guess the one aerial root should just stay how it is and be misted every now and then?

3. What are those black specks??

It isn't in great shape but it doesn't look horrible either. I'm excited already beacause I'd LOVE to see it spike and bloom and discover what it will look like-- even if it takes a long while. So all advice will be MUCH appreciated :)

Here's the little trooper:

{{gwi:194819}}

A brown edge on one leaf:

{{gwi:194820}}

One wrinkled leaf:

{{gwi:194822}}

And the sunken black specks:

{{gwi:194823}}

Comments (10)