SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moliep

Help! I think my Phal needs some 'tough love'

moliep
10 years ago

We have about 16 orchids that stay outside on a covered deck until October. This summer has been the very hard on all of our plants, even the ones on the part of the deck that has sun shades to reduce glare. This is one of our oldest --- and saddest --- orchids. I call this one "The Lobster" because it appears to be crawling out of the pot screaming --- 'Help me! Help me!'

{{gwi:194485}}

Here's a closeup of the roots going into the medium. I spritzed it so that the healthy green roots would show. I know that the brown ones are not viable and should be cut off.

{{gwi:194487}}

The next pic might give you a better idea of the tangled mess at the base of this plant. You can see that we've had it a long time.

How far down should I cut it back? I don't mind losing any emerging blossoms if this will strengthen the plant.

Should this be set back in at an angle or with the leaves pointing more upright? Some of our orchids lean so far out of the pots that they're hard to place on the shelves inside.

{{gwi:194489}}

Any care suggestions ---- growing mediums--- pot sizes-- pruning --- would be appreciated. We're starting to clean them up and bring them inside.

Thanks so much,
Molie

Comments (4)