SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

Initiating spikes on winter-blooming phals

mehitabel
16 years ago

A week ago, I brought in 7 or 8 phals that had started tiny spike nubs. As of now, all the spikes have grown visibly, tho still small.

Before bringing them in, they had all had their spike nubs at least a week outdoors with no signs of growth.

Then tonight I found a tiny 1/4" spike on a plant that was brought in without a spike nub about 9/8.

This is making me think:

They have to be getting something down in my basement that they weren't getting out on the deck--

1. More light? The sun on the deck is a lot less than it was in summer. It first hits the deck about 9:30 instead of the 8:00 last month. It's possible that the cumulative light from the lights in my basement actually are more total light now than the sun available outdoors.

Can't calculate it without an accurate light meter. I have one, but not sure how good it is.

2. The greater warmth at night? The week with spike nub spent outdoors was a cool week, with nights that dropped below 60.

Downstairs, the temperature at leaf level when the lights are on is about 81-83 and drops to app 71. That's the 10-dgree drop.

It's making me think that I might get more spikes in my basement than I would outdoors. I've read dozens of different versions of the "how to get spikes on winter phals". Some talk about *increasing the light at least 50%* some add a requirement of a daily drop in temperature for a couple of weeks, some say 10 degrees, some 15. Some say any phal that can is going to spike anyway.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to split the outdoor plants in halves about equal in size and vigor, half to be brought in, and half to be left out. See what happens. Maybe I will get reactions clear enough to help me decide what is best for my situation.

If you have a regimen you follow this time of year for phals, I would like to hear what it is, and the rationale for it. Any comments will be appreciated.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH