SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
posieh_gw

Grandmother Memories

posieh
14 years ago

I grew up with only one Grandmother, the other one and both Grandfathers had passed before (as they say) I was a gleam in my Dad's eye. After three sons I was quite special! I WAS Daddy's girl! But, my Grandmother Kate was one of the most loving persons I've ever known. At about age five, I'd visit Grandma and help her with the canning of veggies and making pickles. I was elected for the job as my hands were small enough to reach inside and clean the canning jars. (Why were they called fruit jars?) After a day of canning Grandma and I would walk(she never had a car) the 12 blocks to a movie and then on the way home we would stop at the corner grocery and buy chocolate sandwich cookies with marshmallow topping and a cherry inside. What a treat! She also let me pick the Pansies in her flower garden! Grandma worked at resorts cooking during the summer and would journey to Florida by train to work at resort spots there during the winter. Grandma also helped any one, friend or foe who needed help. She also brought home heavy wool, used coats that she and my Mother would make into snow suits for us kids. I don't think they had "Garage Sales" back then, yet Grandma always said they came from church. She baked pancakes for many church suppers to raise money to build a new church. O.K.? Why is it said that we bake pancakes when they are made on top of the stove?(I know, they can be baked) One time as I was helping Grandma, she asked me to get down and reach a "spider" that was under a cupboard. NOW, how could she know there was a spider under that cupboard? On my hands and knees I peeked under the cupboad and all I found was a small fry pan! She raised five children of her own and helped many other families including our family of eight. Her Husband had disappeared but he did come home to die! Oh, such Memories. My own daughters have asked me to jot these memories of when I was growing up into a book, which I do nearly every day. One of her favorite quotes if we kids fussed was: "Nobody loves me, everybody hates me! I'm going right out and eat worms! Big fat juicy ones, little tiny skinny ones, oh, how they tickle when they go down!"

Comments (12)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions