SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

My Grandmother's Dream Book

calliope
16 years ago

when I was very little we lived in the same city as my father's mother. Our life took my family away from my hometown for many years, but we visited between each jaunt to another location.

Grandma was a very intense woman, and the memories of her home are etched indelibly into my memory. I can still smell of the aroma of carbolic acid with which she used to clean and hear the ticking of her cuckoo clock.

She always had a dish of jellied orange slices in each room in case she would go into insulin shock, and there was the big book of dreams tucked under a lamp table, I'd curl up with when I got old enough to read, to pass the time as the adults gathered into another room for conversation.

I often wonder what ever happened to that book, as my parents handled her estate when she passed away, and what little she had left should still be in my parent's belongings and this book isn't.

I haven't really had dreams since my father died fourteen years ago. I suspect it is simply disrupted sleep cycles, and I have them but don't remember them. But now, little by little, the dreams are returning and I can remember snippets of the mind movies.

Last night I dreamt of a hawk swooping down from the sky and nailing one of my chickens. In the dream, I wasn't upset by it at all, being the natural course of events. But, it was an unusual enough course of events, I wish I had Grandma's dream book to see what that dream would have foretold.

My mother's side of the family has a healthy respect of birds, especially crows and raptors, as they are messengers from the "other" world. Whether this makes any sense or not, I'm a product of my upbringing, and also believe in that function. Great feelings of joy or dread ensue depending on the bird and the action and too many "coincidences" regarding birds have occurred in my life to ignore those feelings.

My mother's people would have looked upon that dream as an auspicious omen, one of good fortune. Perhaps that is why it didn't disturb me to see the hawk descend on a hen. My father's people would have looked on it as a warning of treachery according to Western culture..from what I can find on the internet.

It's amazing how this dream shot me immediately to my Grandmother's living room and her dream book. I suspect we all have an article of an ancestor's life holding more than a little sentimentality and would be very precious to us. My father had an old portrait camera. The big kind into which you slip a big metal magazine with the film, one piece at a time. That, and his pipe rack and tobacco tin, or his shaving mug hold his essence in my heart.

What is that one "special" thing you think about in your parent's or grandparent's possession you wish you had, or have, reminding you of their presence?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus
More Discussions