SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Journal 22 October 2008

rob333 (zone 7b)
15 years ago

Worked on projects at work. As is typical. Talked to the loan officer and set up Friday as the date to sign papers for the new loan. Later in the day, I went to an assisted living facility last night for class. I wish I could live there! It's decorated so nicely. The inhabitants seemed really happy. They were the most active home I have ever seen. These folks are those whose activities of daily living are impaired, but not can still move about pretty well. They have their shuffles and move slower, but still moving. And happy. I've been many places in the past ten years or so, but this one was the best. Makes aging seem a-ok, gives me hope. And they were excited to get to talk with us, those who are interested in the elder of our community. It was good.

This morning, I am full of ideas for the house and I'm raring to go since there are no classes tonight. I am in a putting things away and organizing mode. As I have been doing that, I came across a leftover piece of animal print fabric. Just a piece. But it's soft and could be used in an unexpected spot. I think I'll recover the bench at the end of the bed with it. And I've been refinishing/refurbishing the bedroom set. It's coming along nicely. Glued down the coming off pieces, and did Restore a Finish on it. I'll sand it, now that I've gotten this far and I'm still not 100% happy with it. It's better, just not great. When I'm done with sanding and re-restoring it, I'll wax it. I've also been thinking about repainting the kitchen and finish taking down the cabinets. We've begun it, but half are still up. And painting the living room.

Also, in the bathroom, I have to finsih staining the wood (tonight-an hour), fixing the drywall patch (tonight-20 minutes) from where we were going to put the medicine cabinet (until we found plumbing behind the wall, DUH?!), put up the shoe moulding (tomorrow-2 hours), reglaze the tub surround (tonight-30 minutes), and paint the ceiling (tonight an hour) and walls (tomorrow for about 1 1/2 hours). That'll leave wood putty (10 mintues) and sealing the floor(30 minutes). Then moving the dresser in. All done. And I don't have to wait for Ed to do anything, so it'll be done for certain. Saturday, we'll demolition the old bathroom (yea! I love demolishing) and frame the new utility and master bedroom closets. Still need to tweak the porch and seal it. I've bought the stuff for LF's refurbished closet and need to install it. Soon. We're so close! What's left? Tearing down the wall and doing something? with flooring in the master bedroom. And the all of the kitchen. And maybe painting whatever is left like the front bedroom and the hallway. That's it. So close.

I've lost 18 pounds. I have 30-35 left. But that's ok, since I now know I can do it. Ed is still just Ed, work and home are the same as ever. LF is getting ready for Halloween and excited about getting to dress up and do his trunk or treat at school tomorrow night. We'll...

Comments (9)

• jazmynsmom

Lists give me a false sense of order. Life is chaos right now, so indulge me...

First, let me share some images with you:

• I got manically enthusiastic over this spring's first bee sighting... and laughed out loud when I saw . She's fast asleep (maybe dead?) on a flower after multiple frosts so far this fall... I had to go inside and get my camera because there was something about her "pose" that reminded me of that snapshot every mother has of her toddler asleep on the potty chair.

• Here's a view of .

• (Caution! This bullet point is rated PG-13!) Earlier this month, I called my unsuspecting neighbors into my yard one by one to scandalize them with some that startled me. !

• I have to work on Halloween. I only work one Friday a year and this one is it! As both a nod to the holiday and a gesture of rebellion, I want to wear a costume... but I really have to wear a business suit... so I came up with an ingenious ... (I'm going to be the witch the house fell on... who just happens to wear a business suit in real life...)

I've got a lot of irons in the fire right now. They're "fun irons" but energy-draining nonetheless:

• Our front patio project starts this week

• The living room furniture we ordered last summer is being delivered any day now, and we are completely reconfiguring our TV/stereo setup in the process

• My big tradeshow is next week

• Steve and I are going to France (Paris & Nice) next month (two weeks of business for him --- ten days of pleasure and reminiscence for me)

• I need to put a couple

major work projects to bed to prep for a long Thanksgiving/hunting trip to visit my family...

Fun story:
    I got an email (and subsequent phone call) from a former coworker/friend last week. We moved away six years ago, and it'd been three years since we last spoke. At that time, we talked at length about a guy who was asking her out. (She was single, and we enjoyed talking about her dating life.) She was interested because he was intelligent, kind, interesting, attractive, a successful commercial pilot, and very in to her. But she was reticent to go out with him because he was divorced with kids. For that reason, she was going to blow him off.

Apparently, I chastised her and told her that being a divorced father wasn't sufficient reason to write off an otherwise-interesting guy. I said if there's no drama between him and the ex, and if he's mature about the whole deal, it might even be a plus. I summed it up by saying "For crying out loud! He's not asking to marry you --- he's asking you out to dinner! Shut up and go already."

She got back in touch to send me their...

• jazmynsmom

• I got manically enthusiastic over this spring's first bee sighting... and laughed out loud when I saw . She's fast asleep (maybe dead?) on a flower after multiple frosts so far this fall... I had to go inside and get my camera because there was something about her "pose" that reminded me of that snapshot every mother has of her toddler asleep on the potty chair.

• Here's a view of .

• (Caution! This bullet point is rated PG-13!) Earlier this month, I called my unsuspecting neighbors into my yard one by one to scandalize them with some that startled me. !

• I have to work on Halloween. I only work one Friday a year and this one is it! As both a nod to the holiday and a gesture of rebellion, I want to wear a costume... but I really have to wear a business suit... so I came up with an ingenious ... (I'm going to be the witch the house fell on... who just happens to wear a business suit in real life...)

I've got a lot of irons in the fire right now. They're "fun irons" but energy-draining nonetheless:

• The living room furniture we ordered last summer is being delivered any day now, and we are completely reconfiguring our TV/stereo setup in the process

• Steve and I are going to France (Paris & Nice) next month (two weeks of business for him --- ten days of pleasure and reminiscence for me)

• I need to put a couple

major work projects to bed to prep for a long Thanksgiving/hunting trip to visit my family...

Fun story:
    I got an email (and subsequent phone call) from a former coworker/friend last week. We moved away six years ago, and it'd been three years since we last spoke. At that time, we talked at length about a guy who was asking her out. (She was single, and we enjoyed talking about her dating life.) She was interested because he was intelligent, kind, interesting, attractive, a successful commercial pilot, and very in to her. But she was reticent to go out with him because he was divorced with kids. For that reason, she was going to blow him off.

Apparently, I chastised her and told her that being a divorced father wasn't sufficient reason to write off an otherwise-interesting guy. I said if there's no drama between him and the ex, and if he's mature about the whole deal, it might even be a plus. I summed it up by saying "For crying out loud! He's not asking to marry you --- he's asking you out to dinner! Shut up and go already."

• Related Discussions

Journal 15th-16th October 2008

Q

Comments (7)
    I left work early in anticipation of greeting said cat and foster mom. We've met, and this cat never stops moving. Never. For that one reason alone, I don't know if she gets to stay. And she bit me and LF because???? We were individually petting her at different times and it must be some spot on her body. She was a stray, so I can see that. Other than that, she seems really sweet, attention starved, but sweet. She purrs constantly. She didn't really talk at all last night, but seemed more confident and did a bit this morning. She is big cat, or maybe I was just used to withering away Keegan, but she must, must, must be on top of me while I am sleeping. Next to me would better. She is pretty trainable as I can already get her to jump up on top of things (for instance when I am on the couch or the bed and I don't want to reach down to get her) when I want by saying "Maggie up". I couldn't bear the thought of saying Mishka for the next decade, and so I changed her name. She used to be Daryl. At any rate, she was looking for places to be up all evening long, but I think that may even be over with since she doesn't feel threatened by us, as she did by the alpha male at foster home; no more climbing the cat house for her, maybe. I like her, and foster mom said, you can't tell from a few minutes with her, and that she'd check in later, so I don't feel like I am stuck or if I feel like it's wrong, I guess she will have enjoyed a vacation. Or maybe she has a new home. She is obviously a Maine coon mix. She has the massive paws with fur inbetween her toes, the mane on her scruff, fluffy butt and tail, and the tufty ears. Stroke of luck there!
    ...See More

Journal 29 October 2008

Q

Comments (4)
    Someone who did a temporary fix on the plumbing, had the hot water recirculating into the cold water. Thanks to the plumbing forum, it triggered his mind as to how it could be going on. Consequently, the hot water is fixed. But when he went to install the permanent fix, he couldn't get one of them right and it leaked. So now we have hot water, but the water is turned off. I plan on a long hot bath tonight!
    ...See More

Journal October 1, 2008

Q

Comments (2)
    Gail still has a long way to go, unfortunately. She is looking at some reconstructive surgery later on.
    ...See More

Journal 11 Nov 2008

Q

Comments (3)
    Rob, if you'd had any inkling of how your day was going to be, you'd have crawled back into bed and pulled up the covers!! At least, I would have. But good for you; you handled it all. I think you're a kind of "Super Woman".
    ...See More
  • jazmynsmom

• Here's a view of .

• I need to put a couple

Fun story:

• jazmynsmom

• Here's a view of .

• I need to put a couple

Fun story:

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And if I don't do lists, I forget things. No false sense here, it's real chaos!

funny mushrooms

Words are very powerful. But then, you already knew that, look at your occupation. Enjoy your tradeshow and Nice! I hear the food isn't as good in Paris as it used to be, so give us a report when you return.

• endorphinjunkie
    15 years ago

Michele, what was it that Rev once called you? In a nice way of course.

Umm, Bent Tool as I recall.....

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bent, yep. In a lovely way.

• sheila
    15 years ago

Rob, trust me. The food is Paris is still good. It has a long way to slide before it becomes mediocre:)

Have a great time, Michelle.

• jazmynsmom
    15 years ago

Bent tool? Me? (Maniacal grin.)

Robin, I honestly won't be able to say whether or not the food in Paris is better or worse than it used to be. When I was a student there, I was broke. I ate a lot of street food, a lot of student cafeteria food, and some weeks, very little other than the bread, fruit preserves, camembert and coffee the woman who hosted me provided as part of her host family agreement. I saw, did and learned a lot, but I didn't eat especially well.

Steve asked me if there was anything I regretted not being able to see when I studied there almost 20 years ago.

"Yes!" I told him: "The insides of some nice restaurants!" I'll let you know how it turns out.

I still have no idea what I'll be doing while we're there, but it's bound to be a good time...

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions