SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
counselor4444

Just back- NJ Orchid Trip Report

counselor4444
15 years ago

So, today I went to Tewksbury Orchids and Taida Orchids in New Jersey. I was going to go to Stony Brook Orchids as well, but couldn't get there as they were only open from 2-4pm today (and that didn't work into our schedule)

Tewksbury: this was my first stop. I was extremely disappointed. Maybe this place is amazing in the spring but it certainly isn't right now. I'd say only 18 orchids were in bloom (in total) maybe 8 phals, 4 vandas, and a few cats. The very small phals were $25. The larger ones were $35-$45. The vandas were in the $40-$50 range. They did have many more orchids.... but none were in bloom (and I'm not at the stage in my hobby where I can justify spending $30+ for an orchid not in bloom)

Taida Orchids: It met my expectations. I had looked at their website for a sampling of what they carried. 99% of their orchids are phals (which is what I wanted anyway). You can get a good idea of what they stock by going here:

http://www.taidaorchids.com.tw/

This is what I remember they had in bloom:

Brother Girl Brother

brother sara

Minho Princess

dark red harlequin

something that looked like leopard prince

some type of hybrid pink equestris

fuscia w/ pink lip

peach w/ orange lip

yellow w/ white lip

yellow with red lip

white

Taida Salu

(and maybe a few other varieties)

For 4" pots, 1 spike was $20, 2 spikes were $25. For 6" pots, 1 spike was $25, 2 spikes were $30.

They have 6 greenhouses, but they only allow you to look at one of them (I imagine the others have seedling and plants that are not at blooming age yet)

I purchased a peach phal with an orange lip (kind of different from what I already have) I'll post a photo later. Not sure if it was worth the $20... but I liked the color. (I've been spoiled spending less at big box stores)

Next weekend I may be going to Silva Orchids and will post an update should I go there. And then at the end of August I'll be going to Waldor Orchids (which I'm looking forward to)

~Debbie

Comments (16)