SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
counselor4444

Second Orchid Trip Report: Silva Orchids

counselor4444
15 years ago

Yesterday I went to Silva Orchids which is in Neptune, NJ. I wasn't sure what to expect as the Silva Orchids website does not have many photos. They have 3 large greenhouses on private residential property. Two guys run the business. My husband and I went into the greenhouses and looked around. All 3 greenhouses were packed. The first green house had cats and oncidiums. 95% not in bloom. Many didn't have prices on them.... however the ones that did were priced $35+ range. (sorry, I don't know these orchids well enough to tell you what kind I saw)

Second and third greenhouses had mostly phals. 95% not in bloom. They had white phals, pink phals, some very pretty fuscia phals (which the guy tried to sell to me as "red"- ha!) Baldan's Kaleidoscope, a yellow phal, and a few others. Again, most didn't have prices on them. I wanted a Baldan's Kaleidoscope and asked for a price of one in bloom. One of the owners told me "oh, you don't want that- it's already in bloom and i don't have any ones in bud." so i told him that was fine, how much was the one in bloom and he said $35. It was beautiful, but I didn't want to spend the $35.

I also saw a few dendrobium and vandas (not in bloom)

He didn't seem too keen on selling anything to me. He said that he sells to the NYC market and that's where he primarily makes most of his money (so I guess i was a small fish?)

If you are going down the Jersey Shore, I recommend stopping off. Even if you don't buy anything, you'll have fun looking. Probably it's best to go in the spring when more is in bloom.

In 2 weeks I'll be going to Waldor Orchids (VERY EXCITED!) and will report on that.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022