SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jedidraco

Lawn Guidance

JediDraco
12 years ago

Long time lurker and first time poster with a semi-long story.

Back story:

Bought a house that had a backyard of solid clay and the existing lawn (if you can call it that) was done. Jan 2011 we had some big rain that flooded my backyard several times and my garage so last May I had drains, irrigation and new sod installed. The soil was completely renovated, ammendments, till, etc. I used Marathon 1 sod.

The lawn looked great and took well to the ground. I had a leaf hopper infestation but left it alone since eveyrthing I read said they dont do any harm.

After about a two months some of the grass started to brown a bit so I gave it more water in the areas since it is a slight picth in that part of my yard. Around August the brown started to spread and take over a large portion of the yard but not completely kill the grass. Water didnt fix it, so I backed that off to normal again ... 1 inch/week.

In October, I noticed the dead grass was pulling out very easily and the ground is damp. So I backed off the water in case it was overwatered. No change.

Being a noobie yard owner (first house) I did not fertilize since the yard was installed. So about 4 weeks ago I gave the lawn Scotts Winterguard fertilizer and the green grass perked up a bit but I still have an abundance of brown.

Upon close inspection, I found several blades that have either black streaks or yellow streaks on them. I took samples to a local nursery and they said it might be a fungus but to also consider grubs. They also recommend removing the dead thatch.

I have removed the thatch and now the grass is very thin. I also raked out some grubs during thatch removeal but havent inspected to see the extent of their population. Since its so late in the season, I've read that there isnt much that can be done to grubs right now anyways, so I'll wait until next May and use an organic remedy if its an issue.

Some of the areas seem to be hard again (even though ts a 6 month old lawn). So here are my questions:

1) Since I've de-thatched the yard, should I aerate it now as well?

2) Since the lawn is thinned, I assume I should seed it. Can I do that now? Should I use the same type ... Marathon 1?

3) Should I top dress the yard? If so what should I use? If used with seeding, do I seed first then top dress or vice versa? Does aerating affect this process?

4) Is it possible I have a fungus and grub problem?

I know its a long story and I apologize. Hoping someone can give this rookie some guidance so I dont completely kill the lawn.

Thank you.

Greg

Comments (6)