SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonebananas_gw

Casual Easy G[r]owing Gardeners vs. Careful Analytical Gardeners

gonebananas_gw
12 years ago

Gardners, like all hobbiests, seemingly tend to sort out into the just-do-it enjoyers and the more intensive types who do--and one hopes enjoy--more studying, planning, examining, testing, analyzing, pondering, fretting, etc. Planning or more-intensive effort by the first group tends more toward bigger gardening area, more varieties, second harvests, where to get more mulch, etc. The second group are more into quantitative tests, the minutia of the many and varied fertilizers and pesticides, interactions of all sorts, popular planting schemes and fads, real and reputed aspects of specific soils whether natural or potting, and so forth. The first group tends to react to nonobvious problems if and when they come up, and then only if too troublesome. The latter plan and manipulate to prevent any problem. A few specks on leaves don't bother the first but trigger great efforts in the second.

There is no right or wrong, so long as one enjoys what one is accomplishing. It may be measured in exercise, or harvest, or picturesque unblemished weedless presentation.

Personally, I have to be analytical at work so I prefer the casual in horticulture. Plotting is mainly in terms of new promising selections and major deficiencies in a low-fertility droughty soil, which however can be a bit of benefit for the pear selections I am exploring in Fireblight Central.

We who are casual take solace in the fact that gardens and fruit culture succeeded, even if perhaps not always prospered, in days long past where the best-guess reasonable-effort simple-fix measures had to do for the most part. Mere irrigation solved one of the main problems from that time. Resistant selections, many being newer, solved many more. Other than that I end up doing little beyond what a good gardening or fruit-culture guide ca. 1940 might have recommended. Better still, irrigation eliminates some of the cultivating drudgery thought necessary a few decades before that.

Which group are you in?

Comments (21)