SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
broken_arrow

Suggestions for bermuda seed similar to U-3 sod

broken_arrow
14 years ago

This is my first post to the forum, although IÂve been reading for quite a while now. IÂve already learned so much valuable information. Thank you for all your contributions that make this forum so great!

HereÂs the situation: We rented a brand new house for about a year before deciding to buy it in December 2008. We live on a large easement lot at the back of the development, so the builder/landlord only installed U-3 sod on a portion of the backyard (probably about 4,000 square feet). The remainder of the backyard (about 15,000 square feet) has never been graded and contains a mix of various weeds, fescue, and common bermuda.

We fertilized and watered our sod this year, so itÂs in great shape. However, there is a very obvious "line" between the sodded and unsodded portion of the backyard due to the differing grass colors and heights. WeÂve decided to have the remainder of the lot graded and renovated in the spring, but weÂre still in the process of deciding what type of grass to plant.

We know that the ideal solution is to install the same type of sod (U-3) on the remainder of the lot. The problem is that our lot is pretty big and weÂre going to have to install a pretty expensive irrigation system to maintain the lawn. WeÂd rather not invest money in both the irrigation system AND the sod so we can reserve our funds for other house projects we have planned. To save some money, weÂre considering sowing bermuda seed on the remainder of the lot, but weÂre concerned that it will still have a different color and appearance than the U-3 sod, which would totally defeat the purpose of the renovation. To minimize the difference in appearance, weÂre thinking about overseeding the U-3 sod with the same bermuda seed used on the rear portion of the lot. (Heresy, I know!) Please note that IÂve read numerous warnings on this forum against overseeding hybrid bermuda sod, so I realize this isnÂt an ideal solution.

HereÂs what IÂd like to know:

1) Is U-3 bermuda available in seed form? I read somewhere that it is, but further research seems to indicate that itÂs not.

2) If we overseed the bermuda sod, what problems can we expect? What are the cons?

3) What type of bermuda seed would provide the closest match to U-3 sod in regard to color and appearance? I realize that no bermuda seed will provide a perfect match for hybrid sod, but IÂd appreciate some seed suggestions.

By the way, weÂre living in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, in Zone 6B.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting