SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greth_gardener

A new member

17 years ago

Hello to all, happy to be here, I'm just looking around at lots of forums I need to visit. I'm an internet veteran (that's how I met my husband and had his child - another story!) just new to this site.

I live in South Australia, on 85 acres of only-just-usable land in the hills near Adelaide (google it if you don't understand) It is dry land, rocky with poor soil, and I have no mains water, but a goodly supply of rainwater for the house.

My garden is like Gaul, divided into three parts. The Ornamental garden at the front of the house is not watered. Things get watered the day they are planted and never again. Some die, but it's surprising how many lovely things do well, lavender, rosemary, carnations, scented geraniums, and even asparagus is flourishing here.

The vegetable garden lives over the overflow from the septic tank (eww) It is watered from underneath, mostly when I do a load of washing (greywater) or when we have a bath. Last summer I had tomatoes growing 4 feet high, and the watermelons didn't even wilt in 100+F temperatures.

The third part is my shadehouse, where I grow herbs to sell at the local market. This is shaded, protected a little from wind and frost and possums, and very productive. In hot weather it takes about 15 minutes to water everything here.

I'm a zealot for water conscious gardening, but I don't think you have to plant stringy grey natives to have a nice garden in a dry climate.

My credentials - I have a degree in Environmental Biology with post grad quals in Horticulture. 2 lovely children, boy 12 and girl 20 months, both perfect, of course.Oh, and a true ozzie husband whose beliefs cover football, cricket and beer.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
More Discussions