SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thorndncr

Quick fix for water retention?

thorndncr
16 years ago

I recently repotted my phal in a Schultz brand orchid mix  itÂs composed of bits of charcoal, clay, etc. IÂd hoped it would prevent overwatering and the mould problems present in the moss it lived in for a year. Unfortunately, the water retention of this mix is terrible, as the water runs through it so quickly that nothing is maintained for the plant. The leaves have become wrinkled and wilted, where they had previously been very strong, with new ones sprouting. IÂve tried soaking the entire pot (clay) for 10 minutes, about once a week, but the leaves have not revived with this treatment. The pot sits on a tray of rock and water, and, for two weeks, I also sprayed the leaves more frequently, but the phal did not seem to receive enough additional moisture. The heat here have been quite severe, averaging around 90 degrees, which has not helped matters.

My transportation and shopping options are extremely limited, so I am hoping to find a sort of quick, temporary way of retaining the water, at least until I can bum a ride to some place with more options than a single bag of "orchid mix." Could I mix crumpled paper towels into the medium? Bits of sterilized sponge? Thanks for reading and for any advice you might have.

Comments (13)