SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigvinnie

gopher proofing...???

bigvinnie
14 years ago

I'm looking for opinions on methods to have a gopher-free lawn... I plan to install a lawn that is aproximately 70X30 feet...gophers are a constant problem in my area and I'm willing to go the extra mile to design a system that prevents intrusion as much as possible, if not totally...haha...

I have 2 ideas so far, feel free to shoot them down and offer something better....

1. Excavate the lawn area to a depth of approx. 2 feet and fill with aggregate, the lowest layer being larger rock, then increasing layers of smaller rock... final layer would be 1 inch gravel and maybe some sand... then a layer of topsoil, and finally seed or sod. So we go from coarse to fine rock, and then some dirt and grass.

2. Build an underground wall around the proposed lawn area... problem is knowing how deep it would need to be.

I guess option 3 would be to do both, which would prevent intrusion from underneath and laterally... like I said, I'm willing to do it right the first time, if that's even possible.

Hopefully, someone will educate me as to why this would be wasted effort, because you can't stop gophers no matter what you do.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (3)