SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
space_turtle

aloe brevifolia (?) question regarding transplant / roots

space_turtle
17 years ago

hi.

my first post, so lemme know if i do something wrong.. or if there's some posting out there that has the answers i need! thanks in advance..

well, soon i'll have photos of my own plants up, hopefully, but until then i've FINALLY found a picture of an aloe that looks like the one i have.. here it is:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~grnhouse/images/families/Aloaceae.html

i've just recently finished installing a new gopher-proof succulent bed at the south-east corner of the house, and i've put one of these guys in the ground. i was trying to figure out what its name was, and i ended up checking out the aloe FAQ here and whatnot, and my question is this: my aloe buddy or.. "pup"? it's pretty big to be called a pup, but i guess that's what it is, my pup anyway. so it's got 3 or 4 roots comin down off the stock behind the leaves. the roots are about as long as my hand! someone just handed this thing to me, i can't even remember who, and so i don't know how these roots were positioned when they originally grew underground. the FAQ says aloes have SHALLOW root systems. now, when i planted this thing, i had to cut some rot off and tear off a couple leaves that had brown rot squish. i then dug deep with my hand and pointed those roots straight down, more or less, before burying them. it's been there for almost a week now.

should i take the thing back out and put it in with roots growing HORIZONTALLY? or will it be happy with its toes down there so deep?

and is it adviseable to transplant aloes with roots like these without watering afterward? they are about 1/8" thick, look like earthworms. yellow tips and all..

i know the soil down there won't dry out for a while, even though there is an overhang over it. if i should re-plant, should i do it in soil that is more dry? i have a little left over..

thanks in advance!

paul

Comments (2)