SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Haven't had to use the F-word.

gandle
16 years ago

No, I mean frost. It has frozen all around us, not deluding myself that we are being spared for some esoteric cosmic reason but am grateful that it seemingly jumped over us. The late crop of pole beans are showing their gratitude by bearing so heavily that soon I'm going to have to sneak sacks of them on the neighbors porches. Tonight we are having some of the older green beans cooked with a smoked pork chop and a couple of garlic cloves for , well, as long as to takes to get them cooked. Oh yes, there are a couple of onions simmering with them also. Had the same dish at a friend's house once and she used a smoked turkey leg to simmer with the beans, was O.K. but can't match the flavor derived from the chop.

We are going to a fruit stand about 60 miles from here tomorrow afternoon and buy a couple of boxes of Idaho peaches and a box of Jonathan apples. The late frost this spring ruined all our fruit except for grapes and elderberries and we did manage to get a carton of service berries before the birds ate them all.

Picked a huge head of chinese cabbage this afternoon, we love the fresh raw slices of this vegetable and they keep so well in the crisper.

Am tempted to make "leather britches" out of some of the green beans and probably will but I bet the won't taste nearly as good as the ones did 70+ years ago when they were simmered all afternoon with a home cured hambone, the texture was a little tough but the flavor was concentrated in the dried bean, even the pot liquor was good on cornbread.

Leone is due home from the museum soon so best go throw a couple of quartered potatoes in the pot. The cornbread is about done so we will esentially have dinner is one dish. Darn it, don't have any red wine and don't want white with that so there is a carton of buttermilk in the refrigerator, that will have to do.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions