SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Where did the bugs go?

gandle
9 years ago

Not sure what's going on in the bug year but we haven't had a bug smashed on the windshield, no bugs in the garden. The peach tree yielded I suppose 12 or 15 lbs. of peaches. Late frost got most of the bloom but the apple tree went nuts. I brought in 36 lbs. of apples and Leone brought in 13 lbs. more and she said there are still a lot of fruit up a little higher. I have never sprayed the tree with any kind of insecticide or fungicide and there is not an apple with any bug or worm damage. I planted this tree about 40 years ago and it has never produced anything like this year. the variety is Jonalicious, not even sure that variety is commercaly available any more. Running out of room to store apples, refrigerator in the basement is completely full of them. A lot stored in the one in the kitchen, Leone is making pies and is freezing themFamily is coming from Colorado and will pick the ones up higher. The tree is a semi-dwarf but still taller than we want to climb.

What I can't understand is the complete lack of insects, apples are usually like a magnet for all kinds of pests that we have shared the fruit with them

Maybe and I hope it was the very severe winter we had with almost no snow cover. Week after week of minus zero temps.Nice to have a bug free garden and fruit trees but really, insects are important in the grand scheme of things Puzzled in Nebraska.

Proofread by L.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions