SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dannie317

When to separate a keiki from the parent?

Danielle Rose
10 years ago

Hello! I have an inherited orchid; it's some type of phal, but I couldn't say exactly what kind. The flowers are white and purple spotted. As you can see from the photo, the leaves are also a strange deep green/purple color. I promise it's not sunburned or anything, that's just the color of the healthy leaves!

Anyway, two years ago it was nearly killed by a fungus gnat infestation. It had eight leaves, and lost all but two, as well as most of its roots. In my ignorance, I put it in a fairly large container of bark to recover (5"). You can still see the first small post-illness leaf on the left there. It also put out a keiki at that time, but it hasn't flowered since recovering. The parent plant is up to 7 leaves, and the keiki has 4. The pot is now fairly full of new, healthy roots (I just found a few working their way out of the bottom of the pot), so I hope to see a spike on one or both of these plants soon.

My question is: now that both orchids are healthy, a good size, and growing new roots independently, should I separate them? Will doing so impact its blooming? Is there any detriment to just leaving both of them together in the pot?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm