SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
basilbirdbird

Polar Vortex claims another victim - my pond!

basilbird
10 years ago

Hi folks, I've been away for a while but here I am again - asking for advice.

I have a rather unique pond: http://allynn.org/pond/ and it was a nightmare to seal but I thought we had finally done it. Looks like the artic weather un-did it!

I came home Thursday to a **very** low water level (maybe a foot at the deep end). I set up a hose to run at a pretty decent rate and this morning it had only come up a couple of inches. Looks like I have a serious crack at the bottom.

I've got about 75 goldfish. Maybe 10 of which 5 inches or more. I have a 300 gallon stock tank and a ridiculously warm weekend coming up.

Here's what I'm thinking... I can set up the stock tank in the basement (walk out to the outside - never gets too cold) and set a bubbler up in that. Catch as many of the big fish, fancy fish, catch-able fish, as I can and put them in the stock tank. Then I can see how far the water level in the pond will go and buy another tank if I need to for any remaining fish I can catch.

It looks like they would have to stay in the stock tank at least until mid-April. How many fish per 300 gallon tank and what type of filtration would I need? Would there be a problem with them getting very little light in the basement?

Can anyone think of any better options? I have three days coming up where the weather will be warm (40s to 50s!) but then, who knows.

All ideas are greatly appreciated!
Basilbird

Here is a link that might be useful: My Pond

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting