SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theseventhlegend

Question re: Milorganite & St. Augustine Weed -n- Feed

14 years ago

I've been headstrong about gardening organic the last 4 years at my new home. I have St. Augustine grass around the house (with runners spreading) and wild grass (the kind that grows on the side of the road in FL) filling in the remainder of my lawn. However I am loosing the battle against weeds. I've been using soybean meal & corn glutten for soil nourishment. Being stubborn I stuck with corn glutten in hopes it would kick in and be the pre-emergent weed control I needed for my St. Augustine to thrive and expand. I've only seen things get worse. Weeds continue to pop-up. Dollar weed, crab grass, you name it is also expanding. I don't even know what some of these weeds are called but they flower, form a ground cover, and expand at a rediculous rate.

I recently tried Milorganite on my lawn and my Saint Augustine responded nicely. What I'm asking is...... can I use a synthetic Saint Augustine Weed -N- Feed fertilizer for weed control without loosing the positive effects of the Milorganite??? Or is it a waste to mix the 2? Should I wait till next spring to do weed control and add Milorganite in Summer?

I feel bad cause my lawn seems to be getting richer with more earthworms and other critters. But the lawn is starting to look like an eyesore with all the crazy patches of weeds around. Also I mow high and water 1-2" a week. Thanks!

Comment (1)