SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parafly9

What are my plans for next season for my sparser areas?

parafly9
16 years ago

OK, so my front yard came out great, with lots of watering, tender care, and so on. I'm very happy with it. There are a few thin areas where I went a little wide with the slice seeder but overall there is nowhere where I think won't fill in quickly with a little tillering, the biggest sparse spots are about five inches wide and a few feet long, and do have some grass in them, just not a lot.

My concern is my backyard and side yard. I know it's now too late to plant grass because it just wont have time to germinate before the first frost. Some of the areas (particularly in the backyard) are pretty good, but the side of the house (about 10' by 30' and the strip next to the driveway opposite the front yard) are very sparse. I think a large part of what happened is that the compost that I laid down had a lot of little sticks and twigs which I did not sift out, and some of the lower lying areas are almost entirely comprised of them. Do you think I should replant in the spring in those areas? I was planning on using a pre-emergent but maybe I should just skip the pre-emergent in these few areas and put down new KBG in teh spring?

I won't be renting a slit seeder as these areas are probably a cumulative total of 1000 square feet and I just can't spare the expense again for that small bit of grass.

Thoughts? I just don't see them coming into any kind of decen shape this year .

Also, I plan on adding soil next year to the backyard and expanding the backyard by about 3,000 square feet up a hill. Because of legal issues with the builder I couldn't get it done this year.

Is spring really that bad of a time for planting? I know I can expect a battle with the weeds.... but I don't want to wait untill next fall to finish the backyard.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting