SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Best way to heat an orchid case

aachenelf z5 Mpls
16 years ago

I'm just at the thinking stage of this project, so just looking for your thoughts.

The idea struck me that this winter I should try growing my Masdies, Pleuros and maybe some other cool growing things (lower light plants) in a case on the second floor of my house. I have an entire floor I don't use, but also don't heat in the winter. The house is well insulated, so it never freezes up there, but can get quite cold. Right now I use this space to overwinter garden plants that can get by with a winter dormancy, but don't want to freeze.

The thing is the temps don't fluctuate all that much from day to night. For most of the winter, it's around 48-50 up there, but if it gets kind of cold outside (-10-15 F), the temp can drop to 38 or so. I've never had it go below that.

So, if the nighttime temps would be in the 40-50's that could be ideal for some of these plants. The question becomes how to raise it during the day? Would an aquarium heater placed into a jar of water inside the case do the trick? I know I would have to partially cover the top of the case to keep the heat in. I would also be using CFLs to light the thing since sunlight is unreliable and might heat the case to much during the day,

Any ideas or is this a dumb idea?

Kevin

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County